Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The Excellence of Joey Votto

The Excellence of Joey Votto

With all the talk of getting Choo today, it got me thinking about Joey and how it may benefit his overall counting stats and chance at competing for another MVP. So I started digging into some numbers and these are just some brief stats I noticed over the last 3 years...

2010- Hit .369 with a 1.129 OPS with runners in scoring position, and a 1.320 OPS in high leverage situations.

2011- Hit .383 with a 1.182 OPS with runners in scoring position, and a 1.328 OPS in high leverage situations.

2012- Hit .370 with a 1.340 OPS with runners in scoring position, and a 1.481 OPS in high leverage situations.

Get him some guys on base. He deserves it, and so does the rest of the team. I know you didn't need me to tell you this, but I will anyway- the man is really good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Excellence of Joey Votto

Giggity
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

To quote Thom Brennamen, "The man is simply amazing."

Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post

2010- Hit .369 with a 1.129 OPS with runners in scoring position, and a 1.320 OPS in high leverage situations.

2011- Hit .383 with a 1.182 OPS with runners in scoring position, and a 1.328 OPS in high leverage situations.

2012- Hit .370 with a 1.340 OPS with runners in scoring position, and a 1.481 OPS in high leverage situations.
    I heard Jon Fay projecting earlier that if Choo was in our lineup last season as our lead-off man, he could have added as many as 45 runs scored for the 1 spot over the year. You would have to think Votto gets at least half of those (if he wasn't hurt last season), easily adding 15 to 20 RBIs to his typical MVP like numbers anyway....

I think it's needless to say that this trade makes me excited as a Votto enthusiast and for his chances of another MVP honor.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

He's very good but he has yet to produce on the primetime stage. Getting Choo should help

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Joey will DOMINATE with more runners on base in front of him. No more pitching around him, unless you want a guaranteed big inning. I read on ORG, I think, that nearly 75% of his plate appearances were with no one on. This year, having Choo-BP in front of him is going to lower than number.

Also, BP will be the beneficiary of having the best hitter in the NL protecting his spot in the lineup. Cozart's power will be a little more meaningful lower in the lineup as well.

What a great time to be a Reds fan.

Turn Off Ads?