Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the weak spots still left on this team?

Re: What are the weak spots still left on this team?

Weak spots? I can't believe somebody hasn't said Dusty.lol. A lefty for middle relief that would be an upgrade over the current residents. Ondrusek and Arrendondo struggled with control late and were not very effective. Masset falls into this category also, last time we saw him. Is there somebody out there better than Heisey as backup RH hitting OF? How much change do you make in regard to team chemistry?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Our stars aren't very clutch. Our manager is horrible in the playoffs. Hitting coach and plate approaches are atrocious against good pitchers.

I like the current set up of our team. I do not think we need to acquire anyone else. In regards to the closer, I think we try Broxton there and if he doesn't work out, then move Chapman there and bring up Leake to rotation. For a left reliever, why not use Cingrani? He did pretty well when they brought him up in September despite being maxed out on innings. For a utility guy, why not use HRod? He apparently can play 2nd and 3rd and he is a switch hitter too.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I'm a Dusty supporter so Im kidding when I say this...I'm suprised no one has said Dusty is the only weak spot left....LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I'm a Dusty supporter so Im kidding when I say this...I'm suprised no one has said Dusty is the only weak spot left....LOL!!!!
    Walt has done a great job Dusty proofing this team

A lefty for the pen on the cheap (Mike Gonzalez?,) minor league deals with a catcher ? and a starter Brandon Webb? for depth. Maybe a left handed hitting bat with some pop for the late innings, Luke Scott or Sean Smith type (Would bump Xavier Paul). Not big on Donald as the utility IF, but not sure who would be any better.

Adding 1 or 2 guys ain't gonna fix it:
    1) Swinging and missing
    2) Situational hitting
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

adding choo changes the whole dynamic of the lineup. Now we arent the 27 Yankees but this team should consistently put up 5 runs per game.

Choo goes a long way towards fixing the low OBP of the overall lineup. Would have liked a different option in left field. Just don't think Ludwick can do that again this year. But as it stands now, I would have to say another short reliever so we're not so dependent on Ondrusek or Massett or Arredondo.

Gotta say that the Reds 25 man roster looks pretty doggone solid.

Was going to make a 'Dusty proof' comment but will just chuckle and move on, that was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    1) Swinging and missing
    2) Situational hitting
    Agreed. This will be our problem this year. Same lineup as last year with only Choo different. Weak bench offensively...Hannahan, Mesoraco, Donald, not a whole lot better than Cairo, Valdez, etc. What will we get from Heisey and Paul? I think we will really miss Navarro as a better hitting and switch hitting back up catcher. Time will tell.

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HUHUH View Post
    1) Swinging and missing
    2) Situational hitting
    My wife hates baseball (all sports really) but loves to walk by me as I'm listening to a Reds game and say, "Swing and a miss." Why? Because that's the one thing she keeps hearing when the Reds are at the plate.

I dont think they are weak spots by any means, but am curious to see how Cozart and Frazier play this year, was last year legit or will there be a sophmore slump? As for the wekaness, I agree, another lefty in the pen and another bench cog would be nice. Hoping Ludwick can pick up where he was mid to late season as well.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Salukifan2

I don't know of any glaring issues. Pitching is the most important thing and the reds starting rotation is tremendously durable. Adding chapman to the rotation makes it less durable. Chap's shoulder flames out midway through the season in a relief role so I will expect the same if he is going every fifth day. Not to mention his fastball (which I'm sure he will throw waaaaayyyyy to much as a starter) becomes much more hittable 2 and 3 times through a lineup. At first I thought chap to the rotation was smart but I don't anymore. Brocton is a major step down from chapman. Just speaking from my observations, I've seen, watched, or heard Broxton blow at least 3 saves against the redbirds since '09. And he hasn't been a closer that whole time. I have little faith in Broxton.

And a ? would be the left side of the infield. Now that the league has had a year with cozart and Frazier it'll be interesting to see if they further develop or have sophomore slumps.

Lastly, I would not expect Ludwick to hit the way he did last year. He will be productive but he won't hit 26 bombs in less than 120 games again.

I fully expect the reds to win the division by at least 5 games, and doesnt Todd Frazier look like a young Jason bay? Idk maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    Walt has done a great job Dusty proofing this team
    Shortstops bat second

Turn Off Ads?