Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...year-with-reds

Already thrilled with their trade for Shin-soo Choo, the Reds may be getting more good news.

Scott Rolen could be coming back for another year.

Rolen, who will turn 38 in April, seemed ready to retire when the Reds season ended with their playoff loss to the Giants. He was limited to just 92 games because of injuries, after playing only 65 games the year before.

But Rolen has now suggested to the Reds that he may want to go to spring training and give it another try, according to sources, and the Reds would be more than happy to give him a chance. The Reds believe he can help, on the field and especially in the clubhouse, where they value his leadership.

The Reds have given themselves other options at third base. Todd Frazier played 73 games there last year, and Wednesday the Reds agreed to terms with Jack Hannahan.
    Would love to see rolen return...not as much as a player, but more of as a role model for the rest of the players. This team is definitely a special group that seems to gell very well together. Losing rolen, feels like a piece of the puzzle being taken away..at least in my opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

If he comes back as a bench player and almost like a player manager i will not mind

Hmm, not really sure how I feel on that to be honest. He as been a great addition, love what he brings, esp in the vet presence and work ethic, etc, but wonder if he can produce enough to fill a spot, even on bench.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

This is the year

yep im up in the air as well. for the same exact reasons as above.

When he's been healthy he's been really good. He's just rarely healthy lol.

Brings a ton of leadership to the team though, I'd love if he came back to play a smaller role.

Is Hannahan able to play short? Because we know Rolen can't. Just looked it up. 24 innings at short in his career. I am taking that as a 'No, he can't". If that is the case the Reds would need three bench infielders and either Heisey or Paul would have to go.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Is Hannahan able to play short? Because we know Rolen can't.
    Yes Hannahan can play short. He's a defensive wizard at 3B, but plays great defense everywhere.

He also plays 1st base as well, assuming joey votto ever needs some time off.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Yes Hannahan can play short. He's a defensive wizard at 3B, but plays great defense everywhere.

He also plays 1st base as well, assuming joey votto ever needs some time off.

Rolen was pretty adept at playing 3b and I am pretty sure you wouldn't want him at short. Shortstops can often move to third. The other way around not so much. And I am not so certain where you get that he is a defensive wizard everywhere else. Other than third and first he has only played 24 innings at short and 2 innings at second. You would think a defensive wizard would get more playing time at other positions. You could be right. I really don't know.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Rolen was pretty adept at playing 3b and I am pretty sure you wouldn't want him at short. Shortstops can often move to third. The other way around not so much.
    24 innings still shows that he at least has SOME experience at short...

Much better than Choo, who only has 10 innings of experience at CF.

24 innings still shows that he at least has SOME experience at short...

Much better than Choo, who only has 10 innings of experience at CF.
    24 innings in parts of six seasons in the majors sounds to me like he was stuck there because they ran out of players.

Choo has played 10 games in center and not 10 innings. 83 innings altogether. Not a lot, I know, but just setting the record straight here.

And that is one of the concerns with Choo. Can he play center field?

24 innings in parts of six seasons in the majors sounds to me like he was stuck there because they ran out of players.

Choo has played 10 games in center and not 10 innings. 83 innings altogether. Not a lot, I know, but just setting the record straight here.

And that is one of the concerns with Choo. Can he play center field?
    Probably...Can he play CF at a well enough level, remains to be seen.

Will probably be very similar to heisey..in that he will have to dive for alot of balls, that stubbs could have easily jogged to.

But, he has probably one of the best throwing arms in MLB, so that's a plus i guess.

No matter who ends up on the bench, I think we can all agree it is a step up from what Harris, Valdez and Cairo gave the team in 2012.

No matter who ends up on the bench, I think we can all agree it is a step up from what Harris, Valdez and Cairo gave the team in 2012.
    It would be EXTREMELY difficult to reproduce what Harris, Valdez, and Ciaro gave us.

You would basically have to find the equivalent of journey men minor leaguers to be your new bench pieces in order to duplicate those 3 results.

It was awful.

Paul, Heisey, Donald, Hannahan, Rolen??

That wouldn't be an awful bench in the least bit. Especially since Rolen can still be productive when he's 100% healthy.

It would be EXTREMELY difficult to reproduce what Harris, Valdez, and Ciaro gave us.

You would basically have to find the equivalent of journey men minor leaguers to be your new bench pieces in order to duplicate those 3 results.

It was awful.

Paul, Heisey, Donald, Hannahan, Rolen??

That wouldn't be an awful bench in the least bit. Especially since Rolen can still be productive when he's 100% healthy.
    Mesoraco needs a spot.

Mesoraco needs a spot.
    Mesoraco needs to be sent back to AAA to learn how to hit. He was used in a very wasteful manner in 2012.

The reds should've been smart and resigned Navarro. He was a gem for us.

Turn Off Ads?