Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

Re: 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

Rolen could come back and fill a certain role. As long as he is in Dusty's bag of tricks, though, I'm afraid that role would be getting 66% of the starts at 3B. I like Rolen and what he brings to the clubhouse, but I don't trust Dusty to resist the veteran creaminess.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I fear Dusty giving Rolen starts that should go to Frazier/Hannahan...or Dusty pulling Frazier late in a close game and pinch hitting Scotty instead. I don't like the idea of him coming back.

We don't need Scott Rolen. We need one of the young guys to step up and become a leader. Ludwick, Arroyo, Votto, Phillips...somebody has to be ready to stand up.

Would you want to Rolen on the bench knowing that you have to give up a bullpen spot to do so?
    Last edited by joshua; 12-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.

If Rolen did come back, it would only be a matter of time before Rolen made an appearance at cleanup for old times sake.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Mesoraco needs to be sent back to AAA to learn how to hit. He was used in a very wasteful manner in 2012.

The reds should've been smart and resigned Navarro. He was a gem for us.
    Regardless of your opinion on the merits of Mesoraco vs. Navarro, texasdave is still correct. The Reds will not only carry one catcher on the 25-man to start the year.

I can tell you who I think will NOT make the bench now, though, and that's Emmanuel Burris (who I figured would take the Valdez role).

I'm thinking it's Paul, Heisey, Hanahan and Donald. I'm not sure there's a spot for Scotty on the 25-man and don't think he would sign on to be a AAAA guy. Guess they could go with one less guy in the bullpen, but that's a risky proposition. Either way, I like this bench a lot more than I did the one we had last season.

I don't think we need him as a player. Bench coach would keep him in the locker room.

Rolen is worth twice what Cairo is, even if he only plays twice a week. He can teach the young guys how to win.

"Rolen is a vet. The vet needs to start, dude. Young guy will get his chance down the road, dude."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Walt said Hannahan/Donald acquisitions will not proclude them from bringing back Rolen.

He also stated:
    "One of the deals we had in place required trading a few of our top young pitchers. Just not something we wanted to do."
    Good for Walt. Hold on to your pitching. You can never have enough.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Regardless of your opinion on the merits of Mesoraco vs. Navarro, texasdave is still correct. The Reds will not only carry one catcher on the 25-man to start the year.

I can tell you who I think will NOT make the bench now, though, and that's Emmanuel Burris (who I figured would take the Valdez role).

I'm thinking it's Paul, Heisey, Hanahan and Donald. I'm not sure there's a spot for Scotty on the 25-man and don't think he would sign on to be a AAAA guy. Guess they could go with one less guy in the bullpen, but that's a risky proposition. Either way, I like this bench a lot more than I did the one we had last season.
    THIS!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I imagine it was too much to hope that both Cairo and Rolen would vacate the premises.

Hope he comes back.

Fell for the Reds in 1956 RedsFaninAfrica's Avatar

I love what Rolen has contributed in the past, but it should stay in the past. Looking forward, there is no place in the lineup or on the bench for someone with tired legs and 1 or 2 years of playing time left in him. Make him a coach if you want his leadership, but don't waste a roster spot on it.

Agree with Africa. No place for Rolen in 2013 unless it is as a coach. Other than Stubbs, our biggest liability in 2012. Time to move on.

While Walt may say Hannahan/Donald will not affect Rolen, there is a dilemma there. First of all, Donald is the only backup SS right now. Rolen will have no bearing on him. Hannahan is the 3B/1B option, and he was signed to a major league deal for $2 million. So the options are...

1) Don't sign Rolen, keep Hannahan, 12 pitchers
    2) Sign and keep Rolen, DFA Hannahan possibly eating $2 million in the process (he could get claimed, but not likely), 12 pitchers. If Rolen gets hurt you no longer have Hannahan.
    3) Keep both Rolen and Hannahan, 11 pitchers

So it's not really as cut and dry as "hey, give him a shot." First, I would hope that Rolen would accept a minor league deal. If not, that is pretty much throwing money out the window, losing Hannahan if Rolen makes the team, and subjecting another player to waivers (unless they get rid of Hannahan right away) or locking the Reds into 11 pitchers (which I am not sure Dusty likes).

I would like to see Rolen too, but there is a some risk there if he is brought back. You either possibly paid Hannahan for nothing along with losing any chance of getting him back if (most likely when) Rolen gets hurt, or you go through the season with 11 pitchers.

If I am not right on the rules, let me know. Yet adding Rolen does throw a wrench into the works. I suppose the safest would be going with 11 pitchers to start the season, see how things go, and then get rid of one of them while bringing up a minor league relief pitcher on the 40 man. That would still mean losing money though, which for us is no big deal but I am sure it's not something the Reds want to do.

Or Donald goes to AAA and Frazier is considered the emergency shortstop or second baseman if there's an injury.

Or keep Donald (I like this better) and Frazier is considered the 5th outfielder with Xavier Paul going to AAA. You'd still have Hanahan off the bench as a lefty pinch hitter.

I kind of like option 2 the best. Would like to have Rolen on the bench if he can still hit. You never know when there might be another devastating injury like Votto had last year.

Turn Off Ads?