Turn Off Ads?

Thread: R.I.P. Frank Pastore - my first agent

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

R.I.P. Frank Pastore - my first agent

As a kid, my favorite number was 35. As such, Frank Pastore became my favorite player on the Cincinnati Reds. I even got a #35 Reds jersey customized with my last name on the back. (In fact, I still have that jersey from the early '80s and my younger son wore it for Halloween last year.)

Frank provided one of my best childhood memories. During Spring Training in Tampa back in 1982 or '83, I attended the annual "Meet the Reds" banquet hosted by the Red Rooters Club. I was only 11 or 12 at the time and back then, all the players and coaches attended this event, so this was the highlight of the week for me each year.

Not only did Frank sit at my table for dinner, but later that night, he called my dad back in Cincinnati (he couldn't make the trip) from a hotel pay phone and demanded a raise in my allowance. To this day, my dad still talks about getting that phone call from Frank Pastore.

Thanks for the memory, Frank. I wish I'd had the chance to sit with you again when I was a little older so we could have enjoyed a cold one together.

A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: R.I.P. Frank Pastore - my first agent

Very sad....

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    As a kid, my favorite number was 35. As such, Frank Pastore became my favorite player on the Cincinnati Reds. I even got a #35 Reds jersey customized with my last name on the back. (In fact, I still have that jersey from the early '80s and my younger son wore it for Halloween last year.)

Frank provided one of my best childhood memories. During Spring Training in Tampa back in 1982 or '83, I attended the annual "Meet the Reds" banquet hosted by the Red Rooters Club. I was only 11 or 12 at the time and back then, all the players and coaches attended this event, so this was the highlight of the week for me each year.

Not only did Frank sit at my table for dinner, but later that night, he called my dad back in Cincinnati (he couldn't make the trip) from a hotel pay phone and demanded a raise in my allowance. To this day, my dad still talks about getting that phone call from Frank Pastore.

Thanks for the memory, Frank. I wish I'd had the chance to sit with you again when I was a little older so we could have enjoyed a cold one together.

Pretty cool story -- did you get the raise?
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

It sounds like he basically predicted his own death three hours earlier on his radio show. Strange stuff.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Righthander View Post
    Pretty cool story -- did you get the raise?
    I actually didn't receive an allowance, so I guess Frank should have started his negotiations with lower expectations!
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

That's a really cool story! Thanks for sharing! Rest in peace, Frank

Turn Off Ads?