Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

Re: 12/12: Scott Rolen would like to return back to the reds

It's hard to really figure out what was the real Scott Rolen last year. Apparently he felt good early in the year when he couldn't catch up to anyone's fastball. However late in the year he was far from an offensive liability. I think he can still hit if his shoulder allows him, so I'm good with him coming back if he says he's good. If it's in a bench/spot start role you'd be getting a proven player and you wouldn't have to worry about him wearing down.

2. Turn Off Ads?

i can't get over him taking those pitches in his last NLDS at bat, maybe he wants to redeem himself

Walt Jocketty said Scott Rolen remains undecided

“We should know something in the next week to 10 days.”
    Would the Reds bring him back?

“I think you have to at least consider it. At the end of the season, I told him if he did come back it would be in a different role. But he’s been so important to our success the last couple of years. He’s been an instrumental part of our club. If he wants to play, we have to see if we can work something out to his satisfaction as well as ours.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-future-et-al/

“I think you have to at least consider it. At the end of the season, I told him if he did come back it would be in a different role. But he’s been so important to our success the last couple of years. He’s been an instrumental part of our club. If he wants to play, we have to see if we can work something out to his satisfaction as well as ours.”
    To me this sounds like Walt is saying, "Love ya, Scott. And whenever you are in town next summer come on up to the GM suite and we'll knock back a cold beverage or two."

I love Rolen, but there's really no place for him on the roster at this point. Frazier is entrenched at 3B and the bench is now full with the additions of Hannahan and Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I love Rolen, but there's really no place for him on the roster at this point. Frazier is entrenched at 3B and the bench is now full with the additions of Hannahan and Donald.
    Agree completely. Maybe he can come back as a coach of some kind. Love Rolen as a team personality and mentor, especially for what he has done for this franchise over the pat 5 years, but I just don't think there is a spot on the 25 man for him unless we make another trade or release somebody, which I do not think is likely.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    To me this sounds like Walt is saying, "Love ya, Scott. And whenever you are in town next summer come on up to the GM suite and we'll knock back a cold beverage or two."
    I'm hoping that's the case.

No matter who ends up on the bench, I think we can all agree it is a step up from what Harris, Valdez and Cairo gave the team in 2012.
    a HUGE step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Agree - don't see how there is any room for Scotty.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Or Donald goes to AAA and Frazier is considered the emergency shortstop or second baseman if there's an injury.

Or keep Donald (I like this better) and Frazier is considered the 5th outfielder with Xavier Paul going to AAA. You'd still have Hanahan off the bench as a lefty pinch hitter.

I kind of like option 2 the best. Would like to have Rolen on the bench if he can still hit. You never know when there might be another devastating injury like Votto had last year.
    No way Dusty agrees to Frazier as his backup SS, and on top of that I believe Donald is out of options. If the Reds DFA him, he would need to go through waivers, and considering he is cheap I am sure some team would claim him.

As for sending Xavier Paul to AAA, I know for a fact he is out of options. So he would need to be placed on waivers too if you tried to send him down, and once again due to being really cheap I bet someone picks him up (especially after being a good PH last year). He was only able to play in AAA last year because he was signed to a minor league contract. Once the Reds added him to the 40 man they can no longer send him to AAA without going through waivers.

Maybe those guys do pass through waivers, but it's a risk. I have seen teams try to pull that before, and get burned.

Seemed to struggle with his back alot and that's not going to improve any time soon, so no thanks Scotty

If he came back would Dusty play him over Frazier most of the time?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I think it is time to cut ties with Rolen. Baseball is a business. He had a great 2010 season but that was it. He was disappointing in the 2010 and 2012 postseason. Best wishes to him though. The Reds have plenty of leaders on this team now. (Votto, Bruce, Ludwick, Bronson, Phillips, Hannigan.....)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Rolen on the bench would make the 2013 Reds a better ball club. He can still play defense, has tremendous value as a clubhouse leader and to the overall team chemistry. I understand J Donald has no options and it's between them 2 for the final spot on the roster, so we will see what happens. But if I had to choose whom I want on this team, it's Rolen all day long over Jason Donald. You ask every player on that team and see what they say about Scotty, no doubt Jocketty should bring him back for 1 more year, if he's healthy. Let him come to ST and see what he's got. Rolen understand the role will be reduced and the money will not be what he's used to. He plays for the love of the game, not cash. Plus, you could sign him on a minor league deal with an invite to ST, to see how much he has left in the tank. That way no 40 man spots would be tampered with, plsu injuries happen. A bench of Mesoraco, Heisey, X Paul, Hannahan and Rolen would be more than ideal. But either way, I am happy with the roster of this team

24 innings in parts of six seasons in the majors sounds to me like he was stuck there because they ran out of players.

Choo has played 10 games in center and not 10 innings. 83 innings altogether. Not a lot, I know, but just setting the record straight here.

And that is one of the concerns with Choo. Can he play center field?
    +1 on the bold

...And it has been widely reported by analysts immediately after this trade that Choo is one of the worst OF'ers in baseball. We have to put someone else in CF, but at the same time Choo should be leading off the batting order every day possible.

I'd LOVE to see Rolen take a player/manager type role for 2013. He's a baller and brings a lot to the club.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Turn Off Ads?