Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake's role in 2013

Mike Leake's role in 2013

I looked at the eight playoff teams last year & noted how many starts were made by the #6 or lower starters.
    2 Giants
    1 Reds
    20 Cards
    12 Nats
    24 Yankees
    57! Os
    22 Tigers
    45! As

I am quite happy Walt added a guy like Choo without giving up Leake. I know lots of folks here are not as high on him as I am but based on a stat like xFIP he rates as an average/above average pitcher. Nice guy to have as the first guy up when a starter goes down. Plus we don't know exactly how the team is going to use Chapman. I'd expect him to start or finish the year in the pen.

How would you handle the staff next year? I think I'd start Chapman in the rotation with a plan to move him to the pen after a certain innings limit is reached. That way he can build up his arm but also be available come playoff time.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Mike Leake's role in 2013

I fully expect to see Leake begin the season in AAA. And if the plan for Chapman is what we kind of expect it to be, I think we'll see Leake come up and down multiple times all season long to fill in the holes when Aroldis is keeping his innings down. Plus it keeps Leake on a starters schedule. And if for some reason they DO decide to trade Mike, his value is as a starter...not a long reliever.

But IMO he's the natural heir-apparent to Bronson Arroyo who I think leaves after this season. However, if WJ is able to extend Bronson at a reasonable rate...Leake becomes a trade chip.

I'm not sure what the plan is for Mike. I'm still not convinced Chapman will start. I think Broxton sets up--the new Massett. It's all up in the air IMHO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

If Chapman is truly going to the rotation why not use Leake as the #5 starter until June and then let Chapman take over. Start his spring later and give him a few starts in the minors then bring him up June 1. Keep his innings down heading towards October.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    If Chapman is truly going to the rotation why not use Leake as the #5 starter until June and then let Chapman take over. Start his spring later and give him a few starts in the minors then bring him up June 1. Keep his innings down heading towards October.
    Walt Jocketty mentioned that they have looked into using Chapman the way that the Braves used Medlen in 2012, which is similar to this plan.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I was going to say that Leake should be a long man with spot starts for Chapman throughout the year. But if the Reds decided to keep Chapman down until June I could live with that also.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Insurance policy, well worth it
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    First pinch hitter off the bench

He will also be assigned all the spare "OWINGS" jerseys left over from a few seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Insurance policy, well worth it
    We will have to cash on that insurance policy at some point. I just dont see all 5 guys making every start as they did last year. I hope they do but history says it wont happen
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

The historical numbers don't lie. I'd wager you can count on 15-20 starts from your 6th starter. And if Leake is anything worth keeping (not wanting this discussion here) you ride out this season, and let him take Arroyo's spot in 2014.

Now this year does bring the possibility of Leake being "jerked around" (the big leagues, AAA, starting, long relief, etc...). Hopefully he can look the other way for the year, especially since he is the guy who went straight to the big leagues.

Leake does not need to be shopped.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 12-12-2012 at 08:57 AM.

nm

I fully expect Chapman back in the closer's role after the attention the 2013 season received in the Choo trade. 2013 is not a year to experiment when it's the one and only year you've got Choo.

The Reds could work Leake and Chapman as a tandem. Take every other start and then work long relief in between. Or Leake could start in the rotation with Chapman working long relief in the bullpen. If Chapman successfully stretches himself out during the first half of the season then he could step into a rotation slot in the second half (when one might open for health reasons).

One thing about Leake, he'll be highly motivated in 2013. He's going to have to fight for his job every time he takes the mound.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Then by late July, Reds will know if Chapman can really handle it or not. Then they can trade Leake at the deadline or use him in long relief down the stretch.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Then by late July, Reds will know if Chapman can really handle it or not. Then they can trade Leake at the deadline or use him in long relief down the stretch.
    I like the long relief option. Arroyo may not be around after 2013, so Leake fits pretty well into the long-term picture.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?