Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

  1. #1
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,745

    Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Currently doing an interview with Mo on 1530AM. Some of these are paraphrased, but you get the idea. Just thought I'd share.

    Walt Jocketty on Shin-Soo Choo

    "Joey Votto sent me a text after the trade last night and he was very excited."

    "We've tried a couple of different deals for CF types that fell through. We talked to Cleveland about Choo last year at deadline, but this one came together kind of fast over the past couple of days. We put this together Sat, Sun, and Mon. Finalized late last night, about 9PM. It was a deal we felt was very important to us. Hurt to give up Didi. SS is "locked up" with Cozart for 5-6 years."

    "With the way the money has gone, we don't know what to expect going into the future. If we sign him, great, if not, we know we have BH to take over."

    "We'll let the year play out (2013) before visiting trying to sign Choo to extension."

    "One of the deals we had in place required trading a few of our top young pitchers. Just not something we wanted to do."

    "This is probably the best lineup we've had here...at least in my time."

    "We think Choo will be at least average in CF. He came up in SEA as a CF then moved him to RF because they had, I think, Adam Jones there as well. We think he should be able to cover CF here at GABP, which isn't really a very big CF."

    "Dusty and I have discussed moving Bruce to CF. I thnk we're going to go into ST with an open mind but we'd prefer to keep Jay in RF."

    "If Hannahan gets done, he'll be a LHH that'll play several INF positions."

    "Hannahan/Donald will not proclude us from bringing back Scott."

    "If Rolen does come back, he's thought about how he'll adapt to a lesser role than what he's used to."

    "We want to go into ST with flexibility in the rotation. Chapman could start, or could start in the bullpen and then start later in the year. I think our pitching staff and roster is pretty well set. I like competition but we'll still look for ways to add depth to the organization in AAA and AA."

    "Well, I'm going, I have a home in Phoenix, so we're going to go there for Christmas."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,036

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Currently doing an interview with Mo on 1530AM. Some of these are paraphrased, but you get the idea. Just thought I'd share.

    Walt Jocketty on Shin-Soo Choo

    "Joey Votto sent me a text after the trade last night and he was very excited."

    "We've tried a couple of different deals for CF types that fell through. We talked to Cleveland about Choo last year at deadline, but this one came together kind of fast over the past couple of days. We put this together Sat, Sun, and Mon. Finalized late last night, about 9PM. It was a deal we felt was very important to us. Hurt to give up Didi. SS is "locked up" with Cozart for 5-6 years."

    "With the way the money has gone, we don't know what to expect going into the future. If we sign him, great, if not, we know we have BH to take over."

    "We'll let the year play out (2013) before visiting trying to sign Choo to extension."

    "One of the deals we had in place required trading a few of our top young pitchers. Just not something we wanted to do."

    "This is probably the best lineup we've had here...at least in my time."

    "We think Choo will be at least average in CF. He came up in SEA as a CF then moved him to RF because they had, I think, Adam Jones there as well. We think he should be able to cover CF here at GABP, which isn't really a very big CF."

    "Dusty and I have discussed moving Bruce to CF. I thnk we're going to go into ST with an open mind but we'd prefer to keep Jay in RF."

    "If Hannahan gets done, he'll be a LHH that'll play several INF positions."

    "Hannahan/Donald will not proclude us from bringing back Scott."

    "If Rolen does come back, he's thought about how he'll adapt to a lesser role than what he's used to."

    "We want to go into ST with flexibility in the rotation. Chapman could start, or could start in the bullpen and then start later in the year. I think our pitching staff and roster is pretty well set. I like competition but we'll still look for ways to add depth to the organization in AAA and AA."

    "Well, I'm going, I have a home in Phoenix, so we're going to go there for Christmas."
    I like the attitude and expertise Walt brings to the table. He's just the best thing to happen to this franchise in years and years.

    Interesting, he used the word "if" when speaking about Rolen. I think rolen on this team would be beneficial. Let's hope he changes his mind.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,180

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

    Not a very RedsZone thing for Walt to say.

  5. #4
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,581

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Walt can now go do that fishing he was accused of doing for a few offseasons without any complaint?
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,746

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Man, what a great GM we have. It's really amazing. Ownership too. Never thought I'd say that about a professional sports team in Cincinnati.
    Go BLUE!!!

  7. #6
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,476

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

    Not a very RedsZone thing for Walt to say.
    Why would there be outrage? He clearly said it would be starting in the bullpen with the intent of saving Chapman's innings so he could be stretched out through the end of the season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  8. #7
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

    Not a very RedsZone thing for Walt to say.
    I've seen many who think it is best to start Chapman later in the year, including myself. I think the question is whether to rest him until a month or two before, or use him in the pen until then and stretch him out. I like the Medlen Method
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  9. #8
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,053

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Thanks for posting the notes. It was an interesting read.

  10. #9
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,476

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I've seen many who think it is best to start Chapman later in the year, including myself. I think the question is whether to rest him until a month or two before, or use him in the pen until then and stretch him out. I like the Medlen Method
    My hope is that they pitch him roughly every fifth day where he can throw on the side and keep a routine going before they move him into the rotation in (presumably) May.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  11. #10
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,745

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Thanks for posting the notes. It was an interesting read.


    I was trying my best to keep up. Mo was firing the questions quick!

  12. #11
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,140

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Man, what a great GM we have. It's really amazing. Ownership too. Never thought I'd say that about a professional sports team in Cincinnati.
    This. Firing Krivsky and installing Jocketty as GM was absolutely the right move by Bob.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  13. #12
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,142

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

    Not a very RedsZone thing for Walt to say.
    Because he was still talking about him starting. Just slowly working up his endurance in the pen until he's stretched out enough to start.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,180

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Because he was still talking about him starting. Just slowly working up his endurance in the pen until he's stretched out enough to start.
    If so, it impacts the roster. It means Leake makes the team as a starter. It means the bullpen is well stocked with Chapman. And it means Reds may have to find a reliever later in the season when Aroldis starts games.

  15. #14
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,142

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If so, it impacts the roster. It means Leake makes the team as a starter. It means the bullpen is well stocked with Chapman. And it means Reds may have to find a reliever later in the season when Aroldis starts games.
    I don't think there was ever any question that what they do with Aroldis would have instant ramifications on the roster. Early, mid and late season. This is exactly why I felt that Leake would be kept starting and going up and down all year from Louisville. Once Chapman is starting fairly regularly, Leake goes down and a reliever comes up to replace him. When Chapman's NOT starting, Leake is, and the reliever goes down to Louisville because Aroldis will be in the bullpen. Just my take.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  16. #15
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: Jocketty Interview Notes - 1530

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Where is the outrage about Walt leaving open the possibility of Chapman starting the season in the bullpen?

    Not a very RedsZone thing for Walt to say.
    Most of us are completely cool with getting him there in a reasonable way; just not dismissing the goal entirely.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25