Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - 2012/2013 Offseason Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - 2012/2013 Offseason Edition

Benihana?

Did you leave Neftali Soto off your list because he had a down year? He had an injury and still played hurt for awhile. He may only be listed as a 1B but he used to play some 3rd and I believe he could eventually get some platoon tine in left. At the very least his kind of power would be attractive to another team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by red3610 View Post
    Benihana?

Did you leave Neftali Soto off your list because he had a down year? He had an injury and still played hurt for awhile. He may only be listed as a 1B but he used to play some 3rd and I believe he could eventually get some platoon tine in left. At the very least his kind of power would be attractive to another team.
    Soto could wind up taking the job that Frazier was supposed to fill (RH bench bat that can fill in at the corner positions) before Todd proved he deserved a larger role.

I don't believe Soto can play anything other than 1B at the major league level. LF maybe but doubtful he'd be any better than Dunn out there. Maybe worse.

Soto can be a power hitting pinch hitter a la John Vander Wal but likely not much more- at least for the Reds. Another team might see him as a future Carlos Pena, which could be worth something.

I look at Soto like a lesser Lutz, who's rated 14. Soto may have more power but Lutz may be slightly better defensively and he gets on base more. Plus he has less experience playing the game, so he may have more room to improve. That said, neither player will get very far in this organization if they can't handle another position other than 1B defensively.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-24-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Agreed. Still, it's all kind of splitting hairs and drawing distinctions that don't really bear up under scrutiny longer than a few months. Fodder for conversation.

I can't say I see anyone getting vastly undersold. But I do think Travieso and Rahier are riding almost 100% pedigree at the moment, sorta like Rosa has been.
    Agree and agree- at least on Rahier, Rosa and Gelalich riding pedigree only. All three of those guys need to hit this year or they will fall rapidly down the list or off completely.

Travieso has great stuff, so it's not all pedigree. Reds can be much more patient with him.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-24-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Not sure where you saw Wright was switching to 3B. While definitely capable of making the switch he hasn't played there and hasn't been told he is going to be playing there. 2B all the way and I'm gonna make a confident prediction that he makes it to the bigs before he's 27 in 2017. Maybe not with Cinci, but somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We need to remember that Ravin is in his first year in the bullpen. He spent most of the year on the DL, then came into the bullpen months after everyone else got started. He threw 20 shaky innings then the season ended. Then he went to Arizona and started when everyone else did, and was very good.
    Josh is having a fairly discouraging spring.

He entered today at 0-2 with a 21.60 ERA.

He came into the game today with a 2-1 lead and allowed five earned runs in 1/3 of an inning and it didn't look like he had any command.

If I were Josh, I wouldn't go on-line to look at his spring stats after the game today. Maybe just a slow starter.

Carlos Contreras is an underrated prospect and, while he's not having a great spring, he doesn't get enough mention around here. The Reds protected him on the forty man roster and I've read nice things about him. Yes, Ravin was protected as well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Josh is having a fairly discouraging spring.

He entered today at 0-2 with a 21.60 ERA.

He came into the game today with a 2-1 lead and allowed five earned runs in 1/3 of an inning and it didn't look like he had any command.

If I were Josh, I wouldn't go on-line to look at his spring stats after the game today. Maybe just a slow starter.

Carlos Contreras is an underrated prospect and, while he's not having a great spring, he doesn't get enough mention around here. The Reds protected him on the forty man roster and I've read nice things about him. Yes, Ravin was protected as well.
    It is March 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is March 5th.
    Yeah, well I hope Mr. Ravin isn't taking too much solace from the date. He isn't exactly Bronson Arroyo or Johnny Cueto tuning up.

This is a pitcher who has thrown for over seven years in the minors. He has a lifetime 5.25 ERA, 6 walks per nine innings, 1.6 WHIP, and 14-43 W-L record.

And now he comes to camp is 0-3 with a 40.50 ERA having allowed 9 earned runs (11 runs altogether) in two innings.

No, I don't think Mr. Ravin should take too much comfort from the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yeah, well I hope Mr. Ravin isn't taking too much solace from the date. He isn't exactly Bronson Arroyo or Johnny Cueto tuning up.

This is a pitcher who has thrown for over seven years in the minors. He has a lifetime 5.25 ERA, 6 walks per nine innings, 1.6 WHIP, and 14-43 W-L record.

And now he comes to camp is 0-3 with a 40.50 ERA having allowed 9 earned runs (11 runs altogether) in two innings.

No, I don't think Mr. Ravin should take too much comfort from the calendar.
    Lighten up dude, all he has to do to get his ERA down to 3.00 is throw 25 consecutive scoreless innings. He'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Lighten up dude, all he has to do to get his ERA down to 3.00 is throw 25 consecutive scoreless innings. He'll be fine!
    All he has to do to get it down to 0.00 is wait until the last Spring Training game ends.

Turn Off Ads?