Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phllips and Choo One and Two

Phllips and Choo One and Two

I know the Reds have been looking for a lead off guy forever and Choos .390 OBP is way betteer than what we have had, but would it not make more sense to keep BP in the leadoff spot and hit Choo 2nd. Both guys will still have the chance to get on for Votto and when Phillips gets on it opens the whole right side of the IF fr Choo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phllips and Choo One and Two

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    I know the Reds have been looking for a lead off guy forever and Choos .390 OBP is way betteer than what we have had, but would it not make more sense to keep BP in the leadoff spot and hit Choo 2nd. Both guys will still have the chance to get on for Votto and when Phillips gets on it opens the whole right side of the IF fr Choo.
    Does phillips have a worse obp and batting avg in the lead off spot?

Besides, doesn't Choo have quite alot of speed, and has experience in the leadoff spot?

I don't think it really matters how you order them tbh, but I would think choo would be first, phillips second.

Choo has very good speed and was a beast when moved to the leadoff spot

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

No need to out-think it. Roll with Choo and his terrific OBP in the leadoff spot. Even with his subpar BA vs. LHP, he still has a OBP almost 120 points higher.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I'd bat BP leadoff against lefties. Other than that, Choo all the way.

Doesn't matter. Dusty is manager. If he has an option, he will not bat two lefties back to back. Votto is locked into the 3 spot. Therefore there are only 2 spots left for lefties in the top 5 spots, which Bruce and Choo will certainly be in. Those spots are, of course, 1 and 5. Choo is 1, Bruce is 5. Dusty fears the almighty LOOGY.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I'd bat BP leadoff against lefties. Other than that, Choo all the way.
    and Choo near the bottom of the lineup with Ryan Hanigan batting second, but once again this is Dusty. So that won't happen. Catchers are not fast enough to bat at the top of the order, and moving a guy from the top of the order to the bottom against lefties might ruffle some feathers.

Whenever Choo is in the lineup, he should be leading off. He has a .338 OBP against LHP for his career, which is better than Phillips' overall career mark and is close to Phillips' career .341 OBP versus LHP.

And as far as hitting the ball in the 1B-2B hole goes, nobody has better bat control on this team than Phillips. He doesn't K a ton and is more than capable of going the other way and serving the ball into the spot vacated by the 2B. I actually think he's at his best when he focuses on going the other way. The GIDPs are my only concern with him hitting second, but I don't think it'll be too big of a problem, especially since Choo is a doubles machine.

For the first time in a long time, this lineup looks very solid, and if Choo reverts to his 2008-2010 form, this will be a formidable team.

I expect Phillips to have a huge year hitting in the 2 hole. For the first time in a long time we won't be asking him to move around the lineup and do different things for the team. He won't be trying to drive the ball or work counts, he can just hit however he wants. Batting in front of Votto ain't a bad gig, either.

This thread is over-thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    This thread is over-thinking.
    Agreed. The key isn't that Choo is a decent leadoff man, its that he's a decent lefthanded hitter. Now we have three. Hopefully the days of being over matched by average right handed pitchers are over. No matter who bats where.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    Doesn't matter. Dusty is manager. If he has an option, he will not bat two lefties back to back. Votto is locked into the 3 spot. Therefore there are only 2 spots left for lefties in the top 5 spots, which Bruce and Choo will certainly be in. Those spots are, of course, 1 and 5. Choo is 1, Bruce is 5. Dusty fears the almighty LOOGY.
    Exactly, plus Duhstymetrics dictates "CF bats first."
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Why would we trade in Choo as a lead off and then turn around and say on second thoughts bat 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    No need to out-think it. Roll with Choo and his terrific OBP in the leadoff spot. Even with his subpar BA vs. LHP, he still has a OBP almost 120 points higher.
    This ^^^^ !

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Choo has very good speed and was a beast when moved to the leadoff spot
    He's not any faster than BP....but yes his OBP will be better.

Turn Off Ads?