Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney's comments on 1530 ESPN

Haunted by walks

Re: Buster Olney's comments on 1530 ESPN

It would have been interesting to see Gregorius, Phillips and Stubbs up the middle.

I think Gregoriois might have Phillips-level defense, but we've seen that the lineup needs offense.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I think this was a pretty good trade, but people seem to be hand waiving away the concern about the lack of a true CF in the starting lineup. This could be a huge problem--but I am happy we have Heisey so if things spiral too much out of control he can just start in CF and we can figure out what to do with Ludwick/Choo.

I hope the Reds are also looking for a weak bat/good defense/AAAA-type CF to sign to a minor league deal--if such a player exists.
    Don't we already have that in Ryan LaMarre?

Can a baseball coach-y type person tell me why "taking bad routes to the ball" is something that can't be corrected and almost eliminated with training? I've never understood this. Always seemed like something that could be fixed with a ton of practice and good coaching. Freel I get, due to his being a (lovable) impetuous jittery blockhead, but that can't be true for everybody. Certainly doesn't strike me as true of Choo (heh).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Can a baseball coach-y type person tell me why "taking bad routes to the ball" is something that can't be corrected and almost eliminated with training? I've never understood this. Always seemed like something that could be fixed with a ton of practice and good coaching. Freel I get, due to his being a (lovable) impetuous jittery blockhead, but that can't be true for everybody. Certainly doesn't strike me as true of Choo (heh).
    I'm no coach, but for me personally, it simply came down to lacking the ability to accurately judge where the ball was going. The bad route was the result of a constant reassessment of the ball's trajectory. Like plate discipline or any other primarily cognitive task, I'm sure it's something that can be improved with coaching and practice, but only to a point.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't we already have that in Ryan LaMarre?
    Very possible (I really don't know much about the non-top prospects in the minors). I should have said "are looking for or already have." Point being that I want a second option other than Heisey if it becomes obvious that poor outfield defense is killing the team at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Very possible (I really don't know much about the non-top prospects in the minors). I should have said "are looking for or already have." Point being that I want a second option other than Heisey if it becomes obvious that poor outfield defense is killing the team at some point.
    If the Angels sign Josh Hamilton, I wonder what it would take to get Peter Bourjos? He'd offer speed and defense off the bench. He hit in the minors, but seemed to regress in the majors last year.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    How in the world did someone get Buster Olney to talk about something besides the Yankees?
    I think this is a pretty silly comment. Olney may follow company policy and talk about big markets, but on his blog he is one of the best daily baseball source there is. It's great.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    A lot of its natural. Seeing the ball off the bat and being able to break automatically. Some people have to hesitate for a split second in order to pick up the flight of the ball. Others can pick it up that split second sooner and get a better jump. When chasing a ball in the gap our cutting a ball off before it gets past you, that extra step or half step can make a world of difference.

I remember when Andruw Jones was in his prime. He was able to get such a great jump that he played a very shallow CF. He could go back on a ball and get it but it also enabled him to get to many sinking line drives that normally would end up as hits.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    A lot of its natural. Seeing the ball off the bat and being able to break automatically. Some people have to hesitate for a split second in order to pick up the flight of the ball. Others can pick it up that split second sooner and get a better jump. When chasing a ball in the gap our cutting a ball off before it gets past you, that extra step or half step can make a world of difference.

I remember when Andruw Jones was in his prime. He was able to get such a great jump that he played a very shallow CF. He could go back on a ball and get it but it also enabled him to get to many sinking line drives that normally would end up as hits.
    Interesting stuff, thanks (RMR too).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It would have been interesting to see Gregorius, Phillips and Stubbs up the middle.

I think Gregoriois might have Phillips-level defense, but we've seen that the lineup needs offense.
    Gregorius is a better defender than Phillips is. Phillips is an outstanding second baseman. Gregorius is an outstanding shortstop. Big difference.

Is Gregorius a better 2b than Phillips?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Is Gregorius a better 2b than Phillips?
    Probably. Better range, more athletic and a stronger arm. Hands may not be quite as sure, but they are pretty darn good. Offensively though.... that is a different story and not one that is even up for debate.

I would have a hard time agreeing with your notion that Gregorious is a better defender at 2b than Phillips right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I would have a hard time agreeing with your notion that Gregorious is a better defender at 2b than Phillips right now.
    Based upon what? The scouting reports suggest he probably is. I don't think a scout around would tell you that Phillips has better range or arm than Gregorius does. Does Phillips have better hands? Yeah, he does, but it isn't by a whole lot. Gregorius has a clear advantage in two of the three aspects of defense and only a slight disadvantage in the third.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Based upon what? The scouting reports suggest he probably is. I don't think a scout around would tell you that Phillips has better range or arm than Gregorius does. Does Phillips have better hands? Yeah, he does, but it isn't by a whole lot. Gregorius has a clear advantage in two of the three aspects of defense and only a slight disadvantage in the third.
    How 'bout experience? Who has more experience at 2B? That's gotta be worth something

Turn Off Ads?