Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce or Choo in CF?

Re: Bruce or Choo in CF?

If a guy can steal 20+ bases, how can he have limited range issues in the outfield? I dont know much about his defense, maybe some others can expand. Does he have issues reading balls of the bat in RF?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I've always been higher on Bruce in CF than most. Just love his arm, i guess.

So I'll go with Bruce, but I also think that if this is the case, they need to *start* spring training with the mindset that he is going to be there or there's going to be a 100% pure tryout (rather than Choo being the default with Bruce only stepping in if he fails). He's going to need that time to readjust in that mindset.

Additionally, while I know the stats, I haven't seen enough of Choo in the outfield to have a strong opinion about it.
    If they think there's a good possibility Bruce will be the CF, he needs to start training for it now. Not just shagging fly balls, but in his offseason conditioning. More speed, less bulk. He's still young enough for it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not a single Reds starter induced 50% groundballs last season. Cueto and Leake were both at 48.9%. While that leans them more toward groundball than flyball, it isn't exactly making them groundball pitchers either. 142 pitchers threw 100+ innings last year. Cueto and Leake ranked 40th in GB rate among them. Better than average, but they are still allowing the ball in the air more than it is going to the ground.
    Jay Bruce looks a little big for a CF at this point in his career, doesn't he? He was 205 in 2008, according to his rookie card, but is listed at 225 now. I would worry a bit about him doing all that running in center. And it would be crazy, of course, for Jay to lead off

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    Jay Bruce looks a little big for a CF at this point in his career, doesn't he? He was 205 in 2008, according to his rookie card, but is listed at 225 now. I would worry a bit about him doing all that running in center. And it would be crazy, of course, for Jay to lead off
    He slimmed down a BUNCH last off season. IIRC, he was "in the best shape of his life".

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    Which is funny because Jay did lead off for a while when he first came up didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    He slimmed down a BUNCH last off season. IIRC, he was "in the best shape of his life".
    I remember him slimming down noticeably, but I think he's still just a bigger, stronger guy than he was when he played center as a youngster (I do cherish the annual "best shape of his life" stories).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    If a guy can steal 20+ bases, how can he have limited range issues in the outfield? I dont know much about his defense, maybe some others can expand. Does he have issues reading balls of the bat in RF?
    There are talks out there that he does have problems with reading the ball off of the bat (well, talks that his routes are sketchy, but that is a direct result of his bat/ball reading skills).

If nothing else, if the Reds are slumping mid-season, they can move Bruce to CF for a spark. Like Rose to 3B.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Choo's leading off, right? Dusty's still managing, right?

I'll believe Bruce in Center when I see it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Choo's leading off, right? Dusty's still managing, right?

The suspense, she ain't killing me.
    Right. Right. I hope no one is killing you. That wouldn't be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There are talks out there that he does have problems with reading the ball off of the bat (well, talks that his routes are sketchy, but that is a direct result of his bat/ball reading skills).
    Thanks Doug.

It could be possible the speed he has will appear much better in CF than RF. From previous playing experience, getting a good jump on a ball in CF was a helluva lot easier than getting a good jump in RF.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking as well, but I hope this is the case with Choo and he is really more naturally a CFer.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Choo in April; Bruce in May; Heisey in June-August; Hamilton in September

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Choo in April; Bruce in May; Heisey in June-August; Hamilton in September
    I like it. Reads like a piece of poetry as well.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I like it. Reads like a piece of poetry as well.
    Almost a haiku.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I think the drop off in CF won't be as big as people think. Stubbs looked good out there, but I was underwhelmed watching him every day. I especially grew tired of his repeated "shyness" on balls in front of him. Pulling up and playing a ball on the bounce when its 10 to 15 feet in the air and another step or two would be all he needs to record the out was a regular event. Choo may give up a gapper or two a month that Stubbs would get to, but he'll make up for on the dinkers in front of him IMO.

As for reading the ball off the bat, CF is by far the easiest position to play if you have the speed to play it. No grounders. No slices or hooks. A true read every time. He won't be Wily Mo or post injury Griffey out there. People are making it out like he won't ever catch a fly ball.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?