Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Angels close to deal with Josh Hamilton

Re: Angels close to deal with Josh Hamilton

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Angels To Sign Josh Hamilton
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 1:39pm CST]
    1:39pm: It's a five-year, $125MM contract, ESPNDallas.com reports.

Hamilton received and turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers, which means he'll be linked to draft pick compensation. The Rangers will obtain a compensatory selection for losing Hamilton, and the Angels will have to surrender their top pick (#22 overall) in 2013.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#U8QmHOSm1KMz67wd.99

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

Hamilton received and turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers, which means he'll be linked to draft pick compensation. The Rangers will obtain a compensatory selection for losing Hamilton, and the Angels will have to surrender their top pick (#22 overall) in 2013.
    Somewhere on RedsZone there is a thread where the size of this contract was debated. I think this blew past most estimates.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Somewhere on RedsZone there is a thread where the size of this contract was debated. I think this blew past most estimates.
    Yep. It's the one where it beleived the "unnamed" source inside the Rangers organization swore they'd not have Hamilton back "even for free."

That clearly was inaccurate.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Yep. It's the one where it beleived the "unnamed" source inside the Rangers organization swore they'd not have Hamilton back "even for free."

I don't know because I haven't been keeping up with it but did the Rangers even try very hard to sign him? I'm just not sure they wanted him back real bad.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I didn't think anyone would give him that much. I figured 4 years, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post

I doubt they can top what they drafted with the Texeira draftpick compensation...

Angels are trying to be baseball's Miami Heat.

Looks like you were closest to the mark.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97635

The quote may have been accurate but was probably based on one guy's - or several guys' - opinions and perhaps didn't reflect the decision makers in the organization. These guys are fans too and probably spoke out of frustration with his performance down the stretch.

That said, they didn't re-sign him, did they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Angels are trying to be baseball's Miami Heat.
    They have a serious case of "Keeping up with the Jone's"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Looks like you were closest to the mark.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97635

The quote may have been accurate but was probably based on one guy's - or several guys' - opinions and perhaps didn't reflect the decision makers in the organization. These guys are fans too and probably spoke out of frustration with his performance down the stretch.

That said, they didn't re-sign him, did they?
    They offered him four years. So regardless of whether they signed him, it was clear they wanted him back or at least were willing to have him back, unlike the hyperbole to the contrary.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

They offered him four years. So regardless of whether they signed him, it was clear they wanted him back or at least were willing to have him back, unlike the hyperbole to the contrary.
    True. But they weren't willing to commit to that extra year like the Angels were. They wanted him, just not bad enough.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

In a few years, the Angels will regret these signings. These players' best years are behind them, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    In a few years, the Angels will regret these signings. These players' best years are behind them, most likely.
    They won't regret it if they win a World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I know it's not the go-go Aughties anymore where Gary Matthews Jr can get 5 years/50 million, but someone will give Hamilton the deal he's looking for.
    Turns out it we have returned to the Aughties salary levels (Angel Pagan getting 4/40) and I was right about Hamilton.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    That can be said about nearly every free agent that has ever signed. Most guys peak at 27-28. Hardly anyone is a free agent before then.

Turn Off Ads?