Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen to return for one more year with the Reds?

Scott Rolen to return for one more year with the Reds?

From Danny Knobler of CBSsports:

But Rolen has now suggested to the Reds that he might want to go to spring training and give it another try, according to sources, and the Reds would be more than happy to give him a chance. The Reds believe he can help, on the field and especially in the clubhouse, where they value his leadership.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...year-with-reds

Being a huge Scott Rolen fan, I would love to see the Reds bring him back, only as a bench player though. Frazier needs to be the every day 3B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Rolen to return for one more year with the Reds?

Um, didn't they just sign Hannahan? You would think they would have dilligenced this prior to that signing.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am ok with Rolen coming back, as long as it is explicitly stated to both he and Dusty, that Rolen is a back up and should be used that way.

It doesn't matter what moves they've made, if Rolen wants to be a part of things, you extend him that courtesy. Only a rinky dink org. would say "oh, I'm sorry, we just traded for and signed a couple of backup infielders, sorry Scott, didn't make up your mind fast enough and we had to move on."

Fortunately, the rinky dink org. was all fired and replaced with competent baseball executives.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It doesn't matter what moves they've made, if Rolen wants to be a part of things, you extend him that courtesy. Only a rinky dink org. would say "oh, I'm sorry, we just traded for and signed a couple of backup infielders, sorry Scott, didn't make up your mind fast enough and we had to move on."

Fortunately, the rinky dink org. was all fired and replaced with competent baseball executives.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Danny Knobler of CBSsports:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/da...year-with-reds

Being a huge Scott Rolen fan, I would love to see the Reds bring him back, only as a bench player though. Frazier needs to be the every day 3B.
    I don't want Frazier as the everyday third-basemen. I want him free to move to LF/RF/1B in the event of an injury. I have no problem with him getting the lions share of playing time at 3B, but I don't want him to leave those other gloves at home. I want him ready to play at any one of the corner positions.

Signing Rolen would be massive boost to the bench strength of 2013 Reds, as it frees up Frazier to resume his role as super-sub and lessens the club's reliance on guys like Hannahan and Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Um, didn't they just sign Hannahan? You would think they would have dilligenced this prior to that signing.
    Signing a guy like Hannahan should not preclude the Reds from improving the team. Rolen is a HUGE upgrade over Hannahan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Signing a guy like Hannahan should not preclude the Reds from improving the team. Rolen is a HUGE upgrade over Hannahan.
    At this point in his career, I'm not so sure. OVer the last two, injury-plagued seasons, Rolen hit .244/.301/.397. Yes, he is awesome in the clubhouse and that has value. But on the field, it's probably a push at best.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Maybe they're grooming him to be manager. Yes, I'm expecting the world on a plate at this point.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I love Scott Rolen, but Hannahan might be a better fit. Rolen and Frazier are similar hitters. You wouldn't exactly be gaining much by spelling Frazier with Rolen up against Roy Halladay (or any RHP who tools on RHBs). Much as it pains me to say it, Hannahan probably has the better glove these days too.

Also, the reality is the Reds didn't sign Hannahan for $2 million not to keep him on the roster. He and Jason Donald will limit Rolen's potential role with the team if Rolen comes back in 2013.

For reasons listed the club needs to extend a ST invitation to Rolen if he's looking to play. However, if it wants to put him on the 25-man roster, it's probably going to necessitate cutting the bullpen to six relievers. I'm for that, but he creates some complications.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Pass.

Use the money for something we need.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Maybe they're grooming him to be manager. Yes, I'm expecting the world on a plate at this point.
    Possibly. Guaranteed that's why Corky Miller continues to ply his trade in Louisville.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Are we talking a minor league contract with a non roster invite, or a major league contract? If we are talking a MLB contract then no.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Dusty fired, Rolen hired as player manager.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Dusty fired, Rolen hired as player manager.
    Last one was Pete

Turn Off Ads?