Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Situational question, just for fun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Situational question, just for fun

It's the 2013 season. Reds are in first place, and clearly one of the best teams in baseball. Everyone is healthy, especially the starting outfielders, and having great seasons.

At Louisville, Billy Hamilton is progressing quickly, and surpassing everyone's expectations, along with playing a stellar CF.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Zack Cozart comes down with a season ending injury.

Question: Do you bring up Billy Hamilton to play SS in replacement of Cozart?

Hehehe. Stir the pot.

Re: Situational question, just for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    It's the 2013 season. Reds are in first place, and clearly one of the best teams in baseball. Everyone is healthy, especially the starting outfielders, and having great seasons.

At Louisville, Billy Hamilton is progressing quickly, and surpassing everyone's expectations, along with playing a stellar CF.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Zack Cozart comes down with a season ending injury.

Question: Do you bring up Billy Hamilton to play SS in replacement of Cozart?

Hehehe. Stir the pot.
    Good question. I don't think you need to with Hannahan and Donald on the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Nope. If you don't trust tbe backups you make a trade, maybe for a rental. Don't confuse the kid.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Nope. You make a trade for another shortstop. If it is after the deadline, you just go with the best defender you have left at short.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nope. You make a trade for another shortstop. If it is after the deadline, you just go with the best defender you have left at short.
    IIRC, Negron is known as a pretty good defender at Short right? I know he's a speed demon.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    IIRC, Negron is known as a pretty good defender at Short right? I know he's a speed demon.
    He was, but he is also coming off of an ACL injury and hasn't played much SS lately.

Given that situation, unless there is a inexpensive great SS available, you cover the spot for a week or two while giving BHAM reps at SS in AAA and then you bring him up to fill SS. There were thoughts and lots of calls to have Hamilton up for the playoffs/ September this year. If he is "progressing quickly, and surpassing everyone's expectations" imagine the pressure to get him up for the playoffs next year.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't really have an answer. But I have more devil's advocate comments:

People fear Billy Hamilton playing 2 positions in the majors, CF & SS, yet had no problem sticking Valdes in CF or all over the diamond.

Frankly, I was more concerned about playing Valdes everywhere, than I'd ever be letting Hamilton occasionally play shortstop, his natural position up until the position change.

But I still don't know what my final answer would be. I guess Regis Philbin will have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't really have an answer. But I have more devil's advocate comments:

People fear Billy Hamilton playing 2 positions in the majors, CF & SS, yet had no problem sticking Valdes in CF or all over the diamond.

Frankly, I was more concerned about playing Valdes everywhere, than I'd ever be letting Hamilton occasionally play shortstop, his natural position up until the position change.

But I still don't know what my final answer would be. I guess Regis Philbin will have to wait.
    What? Why would we ever ever care about Valdez's development? I'm guessing it's Hamilton's development that is the reasoning why people don't want to jerk him around.

Valdez was a spare part. End of the bench guy. Hamilton is one of the top prospects in baseball. You couldn't compare two guys further on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Exactly. Valdez was a utility guy, and playing multiple positions competently (if not exceptionally) is the reason these guys have jobs. It's not exactly the same as asking the team's best prospect, the one on the "2014 opening day center fielder" development track, to grab the shortstop glove he hasn't worn for months.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

And Regis Philbin has zero range and a weak arm.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Gotta let Billy stay in CF in that scenario. I don't see his bat as being "special," and switching him around like that might just set him back to the point that recovering would be almost impossible.

No way. I want him learning CF without any distractions. Also, who knows if he'd even be useful at SS, everything I read said he was ghastly there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    No way. I want him learning CF without any distractions. Also, who knows if he'd even be useful at SS, everything I read said he was ghastly there.
    There would be a lot of throwing errors. And a whole lot of "No he didn't just get to that baseball!"

I let billy play where ever this team needs him......the kid could play adequate at either spot, be it SS or CF.....we are not going to mess up his "development" if we have him play a few months at either spot......sometimes I truly think we over "think" this stuff.....sometimes you just have to let guys go play ball. BH is a player, bottom line.....

Turn Off Ads?