Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Situational question, just for fun

Re: Situational question, just for fun

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I let billy play where ever this team needs him......the kid could play adequate at either spot, be it SS or CF.....we are not going to mess up his "development" if we have him play a few months at either spot......sometimes I truly think we over "think" this stuff.....sometimes you just have to let guys go play ball. BH is a player, bottom line.....
    I think you're right. Especially with a player that young. If he spends a few weeks back at SS, I don't think it's going to mess him up learning how to play CF. Eric Davis said that playing CF was like playing big shortstop. He already knows how to play SS. If he plays there for a while and goes back to CF, does anyone really think he's going to have to relearn how to play it all over again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think you're right. Especially with a player that young. If he spends a few weeks back at SS, I don't think it's going to mess him up learning how to play CF. Eric Davis said that playing CF was like playing big shortstop. He already knows how to play SS. If he plays there for a while and goes back to CF, does anyone really think he's going to have to relearn how to play it all over again?
    Agree completely. I'd absolutely bring him up and stick him at SS. If he needs more reps in CF, I'm sure some team in Puerto Rico would let him start 50 or 60 games over the winter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I took a day to think about this.

I think if that situation happened, and you asked Billy if he wanted to come up to the Reds and play SS, he'd immediately give an enthusiastic YES. Maybe you bring him up and let him take grounders for a few days, or play SS in AAA a few days, and then gradually work him in. But yes, I would do it.

The guy started switch hitting as a pro , that must've been extremely difficult. If that didn't rattle his confidence, I doubt playing SS for a month or two in the bigs would rattle/damage him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I took a day to think about this.

I think if that situation happened, and you asked Billy if he wanted to come up to the Reds and play SS, he'd immediately give an enthusiastic YES. Maybe you bring him up and let him take grounders for a few days, or play SS in AAA a few days, and then gradually work him in. But yes, I would do it.

The guy started switch hitting as a pro , that must've been extremely difficult. If that didn't rattle his confidence, I doubt playing SS for a month or two in the bigs would rattle/damage him.
    I agree. I don't see how it messes this kid up. He's played SS forever, and CF a short while.

The Reds have no worthy alternatives to fill in at SS anyway if Cozart goes down. The kid they just got from the Indians? I'd rather see Hamilton if he was tearing it up at Louisville and willing to fill-in at SS for the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?