Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
I don't mean bias in the sense of a "statistical bias". I'm referring to the fact that statistics count, they calculate, they quantify. People (voters) feel, judge, aim to please others.

A statistic is unable to say "Adam Dunn isn't dedicated to baseball, I'm going to give him less Home Runs this season", A voter can say "Adam Dunn isn't dedicated to baseball, I'd never vote for him for MVP". A statistic is unable to say "Adam Dunn strikes out all the time and plays bad defense, I am going to give him less walks this season", a voter can say "Adam Dunn strikes out all the time and plays bad defense, I'd never vote for a guy like that." I'm not saying these things happened but I'm just trying to point out that if a guy plays good enough for long enough to hit 600 Home Runs, IMO, you were watching greatness.
Hmm.. I get what you are getting at now with the bias thing.The big problem with all awards these days, mvp, cy young, HOF, is the voter bias. It's why I really stopped caring about them (apart from arguing about them on internet message boards ). Bias is what might keep one of the top 3 players ever out of the hall, bias is what won Miggy the mvp last year (as great as he was, Trout was better).

But the problem with Dunn is he didn't do anything positive except for hit HRs and walk. And his 2011 season is not a season someone should have if they are worthy for the Hall. I'm not saying there aren't players worse than him in the HOF, as there probably are. But I don't buy into the automatic qualifiers such as 500 hrs, 3000 hits etc. Then when you factor in the era in which Dunn played in, his numbers impress me less. And now that his k% has been over 30% for the past 3 years, I wouldn't be surprised if it is because he's had to start cheating on fastballs in order to keep hitting so many HRs as his bat speed slows (I haven't watched him in several years so I can't say this is actually what is happening). So I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even reach 500/600 hrs.

Adam Dunn is/was a good baseball player. But, at least imho, he is far from great.