Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Does Adam Dunn have the potential to be a hall of fame candidate?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe he could.

14 22.22%
  • No, he never could/will.

49 77.78%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Adam Dunn a potential Hall of Fame candidate?

Re: Is Adam Dunn a potential Hall of Fame candidate?

The thing that isn't getting mentioned enough in this thread is Dunn's defense. I realize there are plenty of players in the HOF who weren't great defensively, but Adam Dunn took bad defense to an entirely different level. That's one of the reasons I never liked him when he was with the Reds. I'll never forget the article in which he said he spent the entire off-season sitting on his couch eating and playing video games. If he had ever cared enough to work out, diet and get his body in better shape, there's no telling what kind of player he could have been.

He can hit HRs and draw walks, but pretty much everything else about him as a baseball player is a big negative. He could hit 600-650 HRs with 1500+ RBI, and still probably have no chance of getting in the HOF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    The problem with Dunn is we are talking about the HOF, for the greatest players of all time, and Dunn is not nor will he be one of the greatest in MLB history.
    There are countless guys in the HOF who aren't anywhere close to the greatest players in the game and many other HOF players have relied on just defense to make it in. If he gets over 600 HR and 1700 walks and becomes Top-10 in both as well breaking 2,000 hits and finishing in Top-50 in RBI, Top-60 in times on base despite the low BA, Top-100 in career runs scored he will be in some elite company and get legit HOF consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The thing that isn't getting mentioned enough in this thread is Dunn's defense..
    Its a new era the DH is a major part of the game and players are going to start going into the HOF who can't play a bit of defense or where DH their whole careers.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Its a new era the DH is a major part of the game and players are going to start going into the HOF who can't play a bit of defense or where DH their whole careers.
    I realize that, but Dunn has DH'd in only 250 of the 1,721 games he's played in his MLB career.

I realize that, but Dunn has DH'd in only 250 of the 1,721 games he's played in his MLB career.
    Mike Piazza will go into he HOF and he was a terrible defender and couldn't run the bases either but his bat's putting him in.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post

A HOFer needs about 6-8 great seasons and Adam Dunn has 0 or 1.

I guess I have a different definition of a great season... 6 seasons of .890 OPS is pretty impressive. 6 seasons of 40 or more HRs, 2 more with 38. 6 100 RBI seasons, 8 100 walk seasons.

Mike Piazza will go into he HOF and he was a terrible defender and couldn't run the bases either but his bat's putting him in.
    Mike Piazza was also a much more all around hitter who could hit 400 home-runs and still bat .300 for his career. He basically had Adam Dunn's power without his other offensive flaws. He also was a top 10 in MVP 7 times.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

I think the fact that there is a discussion of whether Dunn is a HOFer or not should mean he is not a HOFer.

I personally think they let too many pple in as it is. I think a HOFer should have such a distinct and defined career that you dont need a discussion. You can say "yes or no" w/in a second.

I can go on a rant for why the HOF shouldnt allow 15 years to consider. I think 1 year is enough. Once a player retires his #s or game isnt going to change from year to year.

The thing that isn't getting mentioned enough in this thread is Dunn's defense. I realize there are plenty of players in the HOF who weren't great defensively, but Adam Dunn took bad defense to an entirely different level. That's one of the reasons I never liked him when he was with the Reds. I'll never forget the article in which he said he spent the entire off-season sitting on his couch eating and playing video games. If he had ever cared enough to work out, diet and get his body in better shape, there's no telling what kind of player he could have been.

He can hit HRs and draw walks, but pretty much everything else about him as a baseball player is a big negative. He could hit 600-650 HRs with 1500+ RBI, and still probably have no chance of getting in the HOF.
    Let's not get carried away... Yes, he played outfield longer than he should have and he's not a good 1st baseman either, but "a whole new level"? Hardly. It's also not fair to say he's not a hall of famer because he didn't reach his full potential.

93 runs and 96 RBI a season are big negatives?

We are not talking about an above average HR hitter or BB guy either, we are talking about a historically great one. He has 6 40 homer seasons, he's in pretty stellar company there. Ruth, Killebrew, Aaron, Bonds, Rodriguez, Griffey, Sosa, McGwire, Thome, Pujols. That's it. In the history of baseball. 600 HRs would make him top 10 all time. 100 walk seasons. He has 8. Rickey Henderson has 7. Yastrzemski has 6.

Dunn is 33 years old. Again, not a HOFer right now. I just don't think you can ignore the historical nature of his numbers if he does reach some of those milestones. Again, not a lock, but definitely not a "no chance"

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    I think the fact that there is a discussion of whether Dunn is a HOFer or not should mean he is not a HOFer.

I personally think they let too many pple in as it is. I think a HOFer should have such a distinct and defined career that you dont need a discussion. You can say "yes or no" w/in a second.
    I pretty much agree with these points. You won't see an 'Is Adam Dunn a potential HOFer' discussion anywhere else, so that proves your point even more.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Let's not get carried away... Yes, he played outfield longer than he should have and he's not a good 1st baseman either, but "a whole new level"? Hardly. It's also not fair to say he's not a hall of famer because he didn't reach his full potential.

93 runs and 96 RBI a season are big negatives?

We are not talking about an above average HR hitter or BB guy either, we are talking about a historically great one. He has 6 40 homer seasons, he's in pretty stellar company there. Ruth, Killebrew, Aaron, Bonds, Rodriguez, Griffey, Sosa, McGwire, Thome, Pujols. That's it. In the history of baseball. 600 HRs would make him top 10 all time. 100 walk seasons. He has 8. Rickey Henderson has 7. Yastrzemski has 6.

Dunn is 33 years old. Again, not a HOFer right now. I just don't think you can ignore the historical nature of his numbers if he does reach some of those milestones. Again, not a lock, but definitely not a "no chance"
    One thing you always hear in regards to a player being HOF worthy is, were they one of the game's greatest players in any particular decade? Adam Dunn has never even finished in the top 20 in MVP voting for any season. I think that stat alone takes him completely out of any HOF consideration.

Dunn is one of the most unique players ever. If his production stays on par long enough he may get top 10 in HRs and Walks. But despite that he hasnt been a great player.

Putting up 40 HRs and 100 walks multiple seasons is a great accomplishment but his K rate and defense are just as bad as his HR and Walk rate are good.

Adam Dunn has a lot of very good seasons. A bunch of very good seasons do not = a great career they = a very good career. Great players who put up multiple great seasons deserve HOF recognition. Good players who put up 10-12 very good seasons do not.

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    Mike Piazza was also a much more all around hitter who could hit 400 home-runs and still bat .300 for his career. He basically had Adam Dunn's power without his other offensive flaws. He also was a top 10 in MVP 7 times.
    He doesn't have Dunn's power as Dunn has 406 HR right now after his age 32 season and Mike finished with 427, Piazza had 779 XBH in his career while Dunn has 717 right now and should hit far more HR and have more 2B and 3B as well. Even with Mike being better average hitter Dunn has a shot to finish with more hits if he plays as long. Dunn has already walked 411 more times and has more steals. He should also finish with more RBI and is just 60 runs behind him. So is the BA honestly that much bigger if Dunn beats him in ever

He doesn't have Dunn's power as Dunn has 406 HR right now after his age 32 season and Mike finished with 427, Piazza had 779 XBH in his career while Dunn has 717 right now and should hit far more HR and have more 2B and 3B as well. Even with Mike being better average hitter Dunn has a shot to finish with more hits if he plays as long. Dunn has already walked 411 more times and has more steals. He should also finish with more RBI and is just 60 runs behind him. So is the BA honestly that much bigger if Dunn beats him in ever
    Piazza is a catcher. Dunn is a bat only LF/1B/DH. Catcher's aren't supposed to hit like first baseman. Piazza is arguably the second best catcher of all time, and I don't see him as being any lower than fifth best of all time. The two are not even close to comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Piazza is a catcher. Dunn is a bat only LF/1B/DH. Catcher's aren't supposed to hit like first baseman. Piazza is arguably the second best catcher of all time, and I don't see him as being any lower than fifth best of all time. The two are not even close to comparable.
    Piazza was pure bat, he was one of the worst defensive catchers ever. If he came up in the AL he would have been a DH for the better part of his career if not the whole thing.

Turn Off Ads?