Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Does Adam Dunn have the potential to be a hall of fame candidate?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe he could.

14 22.22%
  • No, he never could/will.

49 77.78%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Adam Dunn a potential Hall of Fame candidate?

Re: Is Adam Dunn a potential Hall of Fame candidate?

Others have posted all the rationale needed, but sometimes I feel that 2 questions polls such as this one lack the required option of "Hell No".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPete Ibold View Post
    Others have posted all the rationale needed, but sometimes I feel that 2 questions polls such as this one lack the required option of "Hell No".
    Are you Marty?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    What about Andruw Jones? Hit below .200 last year. Has over 400 HR's.
    As for Dunn, if he keeps up his pace for strikeouts, he will pass Reggie Jackson for the most All Time before he is 36. I just don't think guys like Dunn, McGuire, Andruw Jones, etc, are not "all around" great players. Admittedly, I am stricter regarding a player's overall play being a requirement of HOF entrance. I had a lot of questions when Ozzie Smith was elected. Maybe I put too much emphasis on being like the superstars (Aaron, Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, etc. ) to get in.
    Again, if Dunn retired TODAY, not a chance he's a hall of famer. The point being, if he sticks around and ends up with 550-600 HRs and winds up top 15 in BB he's still not a lock by any means, but he at least deserves consideration.

Andruw Jones has a whole different thing going on. He appears to be done in MLB with 434 HRs. It's easy to forget now, but Jones was arguably the best defensive CFer in all of baseball at one point in his career. I don't think he's a hall of famer because he didn't keep in shape and was done as a full time player when he was 30.

Im of the opinion that the HOF should be reserved for great players. At no point in Dunns career would I consider him a great player. I think too many players get in the HOF as it is. A HOF should stick out so much that you know w/o thought if they are worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    Im of the opinion that the HOF should be reserved for great players. At no point in Dunns career would I consider him a great player. I think too many players get in the HOF as it is. A HOF should stick out so much that you know w/o thought if they are worthy.
    I agree that's how it SHOULD be. If the question were "if they did the Hall of Fame the right way would he be a candidate?" then the answer is no.

I think a better discussion would be if kenny lofton is a HOFer. Id say no but just considered it when I saw his name on the ballot. Much more deserving than Dunn, even if he gets 600 HRs.

Dunn has a WAR >2 only twice in his career. And twice w/ a negative WAR.

I think a better discussion would be if kenny lofton is a HOFer. Id say no but just considered it when I saw his name on the ballot. Much more deserving than Dunn, even if he gets 600 HRs.

Dunn has a WAR >2 only twice in his career. And twice w/ a negative WAR.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I totally disagree that Kenny Lofton is much more deserving than anyone with 600 HRs & 1600 BBs, even if that player has a .240 Career Average

DH's have a hard enough time getting in the HOF and this one is a wind factory with a .240 AVG

Code:
    Black Ink		Batting - 4 (423), Average HOFer ≈ 27
    Gray Ink		Batting - 79 (306), Average HOFer ≈ 144
    Hall of Fame Monitor	Batting - 73 (262), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
    Hall of Fame Standards	Batting - 30 (319), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    DH's have a hard enough time getting in the HOF and this one is a wind factory with a .240 AVG

Code:
    Black Ink		Batting - 4 (423), Average HOFer ≈ 27
    Gray Ink		Batting - 79 (306), Average HOFer ≈ 144
    Hall of Fame Monitor	Batting - 73 (262), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
    Hall of Fame Standards	Batting - 30 (319), Average HOFer ≈ 50
    Once again nobody is saying he is right now, on the Hall of Fame Monitor he is at 73 and 100 is a likely HOF if he gets to 600 HR that 73 will jump to 93 without factoring in other stats. If he gets to 2000 hits that's another 4 points and to get to 600 HR he will need some HR seasons and you get 4 points for 40 HR, and 2 points for 30 HR and 3 for a 100 RBI season or 100 Runs as well as other stats.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Once again nobody is saying he is right now, on the Hall of Fame Monitor he is at 73 and 100 is a likely HOF if he gets to 600 HR that 73 will jump to 93 without factoring in other stats. If he gets to 2000 hits that's another 4 points and to get to 600 HR he will need some HR seasons and you get 4 points for 40 HR, and 2 points for 30 HR and 3 for a 100 RBI season or 100 Runs as well as other stats.
    If he isnt a HOFer now why would that change in 5 years? He certainly isnt going to become a better player. He may hit more HRs and get to 550-600 but he's still the same player.

A HOFer needs about 6-8 great seasons and Adam Dunn has 0 or 1.

[QUOTE=dkamberi25;2788189]Dunn was my favorite Red but I can't see him making the hall. He would have to do something insaine like get to 600 home runs to get considered.[/QUOTE

Ouch. Favorite Red? He was my least favorite player without a doubt. Him or Aaron Boone. Everyball hit to them was a good chance at an error. And if they didnt hit a home run it was either a pop out or strikeout

If he isnt a HOFer now why would that change in 5 years? He certainly isnt going to become a better player. He may hit more HRs and get to 550-600 but he's still the same player.

He isn't a HOF now because he just turned 33 years and he hasn't stock piled enough stats yet, But the fact he could play for potentially 10 more years he has a great chance at getting deep into the Top-10 in HR and BB as well as 2000 hits and into the Top-60 or better all time in a few other stats.

Dunn has 8 years of 38 HR or more and 8 Years of 100 or more Walks to act like he is some bum is comical just because he doesn't hit for BA or play defense. If he didn't put up amazing numbers he wouldn't have a shot to get over 100 on the Hall of Fame Monitor which is all based off stats.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Dunn has 8 years of 38 HR or more and 8 Years of 100 or more Walks to act like he is some bum is comical just because he doesn't hit for BA or play defense. If he didn't put up amazing numbers he wouldn't have a shot to get over 100 on the Hall of Fame Monitor which is all based off stats.
    I don't think anyone who has posted thinks Dunn is a bum by any means, he has definitely had a solid MLB career and put together some incredible stats in terms of the HRs and Walks which have been mentioned several times. The problem with Dunn is we are talking about the HOF, for the greatest players of all time, and Dunn is not nor will he be one of the greatest in MLB history.
    The stat I can't get over is that he was never even considered one of the 20 best players in any given season (just in the NL btw) based on MVP balloting.
    Yes, he will stack up a ton of HRs for his career and may even break the top 10 all time list for HRs one day; but if you aren't ever one of the best in one given season, you probably aren't one of the best of all time.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

I agree with this logic, he's not getting any better and he's not a HOF right now. To see a what a HOF looks like, please research Barry Louis Larkin. These guys are not in the same ctegory and who wants them in the same building?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Larkin
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

From the Wiki page:

In 1988 Larkin led all major leaguers by striking out only 24 times in 588 at bats.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Turn Off Ads?