Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Does Adam Dunn have the potential to be a hall of fame candidate?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe he could.

14 22.22%
  • No, he never could/will.

49 77.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Adam Dunn a potential Hall of Fame candidate?

Re: Is Adam Dunn a potential Hall of Fame candidate?

Only if the Hall of Fame doesn't want to take itself seriously anymore.

My best Adam Dunn memory was when he called a guy in the stands a fatass. For that reason he is one of my favorite Reds ever, but not a Hall of Famer. Hall of Famers don't have seasons like he had in 2011.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think all retired players are technically candidates, but no, he is not HOF caliber.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

[QUOTE=nheath22;2788146]First off, those are some pretty big if's. You are expecting Dunn to stay around as a relevant player for another 8 years basically, continuing to hit 30 HRs or more. It just isn't realistic for a guy who consistently strikes out 200x a year and can't bat over .250.

Comparing Adam Dunn to Jim Thome is laughable..../QUOTE]

The whole concept of this thread is based off if's since it didn't say was he a HOF caliber player right now. But since he was 32 and has 406 HR and came off his 2nd best HR season of his career he has a legit shot at getting into the 600 range with a few more normal power years before he starts to get old.

The comparison with Dunn and Thome are on maintaining power and walks to into their late 30's reach the level to become Top-10 in each statistic and thus reach a level not many players have seen. Sorry you wasted so much time pointing out the obvious that Thome is a better hitter.

After their age 32 season
    381 HR and 1108 walks for Thome
    406 HR and 1170 Walks for Dunn

Even with his bad 11 HR year in 2011 Dunn is averaging 37 HR a year for the last 9 years in the other 8 he's at 40.4 bombs a year. He can homer at a historic clip and draws tons of walks if he gets into the Top-10 of both while getting into the 2000's in hits and becoming Top-50 in RBI, Top-60 in times on base, Top-100 in career runs scored he will get HOF consideration. Much like defensive players have a specialized tool his power and walk rate put him with 2 elite tools if he can keep putting up numbers for a while and play until around 40+ like so many other power hitters have.

IMO, you are absolutely right Hero...

Dunn is not HOF material RIGHT NOW, but could absolutely get there

If, for 5 more years (ages 33-37 seasons), he can average 35 HR, 90 RBI and 90 BB, he would be in the top 15 ALL TIME in HR, top 60 ALL TIME in RBI, top 15 ALL TIME in BB. Do you know what kind of company that puts him in? Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Harmon Killebrew. If he were to average 80 runs scored a season, that would put him in the top 100 in that category and Harmon Killebrew would drop off that list. Those numbers put him in the discussion. Would he be deserving of induction? That's debatable, but it's not "laughable" either.

Do I think he will post the numbers I've listed above? No. I don't think he likes baseball enough to put in the work necessary to make himself age well. I think it's more likely he will have 2 or 3 more years at his current pace, fade badly in the 4th and 5th and ride off with no regrets.

Dunn is a 2-time all star and has never been in the even the top 20 in MVP voting. He is a terrible fielder and hits for a terrible average and inspite of all of his home runs is not a great RBI guy, Dunn will get votes for the Hall of Fame but will not be a serious candidate.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    IMO, you are absolutely right Hero...

Dunn is not HOF material RIGHT NOW, but could absolutely get there

If, for 5 more years (ages 33-37 seasons), he can average 35 HR, 90 RBI and 90 BB, he would be in the top 15 ALL TIME in HR, top 60 ALL TIME in RBI, top 15 ALL TIME in BB. Do you know what kind of company that puts him in? Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Harmon Killebrew. If he were to average 80 runs scored a season, that would put him in the top 100 in that category and Harmon Killebrew would drop off that list. Those numbers put him in the discussion. Would he be deserving of induction? That's debatable, but it's not "laughable" either.

Do I think he will post the numbers I've listed above? No. I don't think he likes baseball enough to put in the work necessary to make himself age well. I think it's more likely he will have 2 or 3 more years at his current pace, fade badly in the 4th and 5th and ride off with no regrets.
    I feel alot of people are just bitter about Adam Dunn.

He's a 1 trick pony.

But he's really good at that one trick.

Rob Deer and Dave Kingman are both terrible comparisons. Deer hit only 230 career HRs and never had a single season with either 100 RBI or 100 BB.

Kingman hit a lot of HR, but had only two 100-RBI seasons and reached 60 BB in a season only once.

I would be shocked to ever see the Donkey in the HOF, but his credentials are far superior to either Deer or Kingman. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post

He's a 1 trick pony.

Two trick pony -- HR and BB.

Not a chance...Adam Dunn, Dave Kingman, Rob Deer, Soriano, Greg Vaughn, Graig Nettles,
    the list could go on and on. Most of these guys were sub .250 hitters. These are NOT
    HOF'ers

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Not a chance...Adam Dunn, Dave Kingman, Rob Deer, Soriano, Greg Vaughn, Graig Nettles,
    the list could go on and on. Most of these guys were sub .250 hitters. These are NOT
    HOF'ers
    HR
    442 Kingman
    406 Dunn after age 32
    390 Nettles
    372 Soriano
    355 Vaughn
    230 Deer

BB
    1170 Dunn after age 32
    1088 Nettles
    865 Vaughn
    608 Kingman
    575 Deer
    454 Soriano

Nettles is the closest to Dunn of this group and falls short in HR and BB and he played until he was 43 years old, Dunn just turned 33 recently so think if Dunn hung in for 11 more years like he did.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post

He's a 1 trick pony.

He's actually really good at two things with so many walks, at 32 he's already 63rd All-Time less than 500 from Top-10 and lead the majors with 105 last year despite the poor BA. Dunn walks more than Pujols has in almost a seasons worth of fewer games.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    HOF'ers
    I don't think those are really fair comparisons. None of those guys have On-Base skills even close to Dunn and only one of them (Kingman) even has 400 HRs.

By no means would he be a slam dunk, even with 550 or 600 HRs but it would have to at least make you think

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I don't think so. Adam Dunn = Dave Kingman, to me.
    If Dave Kingman would've taken a walk. Dunn blows him away in walks/OB%

What about Andruw Jones? Hit below .200 last year. Has over 400 HR's.
    As for Dunn, if he keeps up his pace for strikeouts, he will pass Reggie Jackson for the most All Time before he is 36. I just don't think guys like Dunn, McGuire, Andruw Jones, etc, are not "all around" great players. Admittedly, I am stricter regarding a player's overall play being a requirement of HOF entrance. I had a lot of questions when Ozzie Smith was elected. Maybe I put too much emphasis on being like the superstars (Aaron, Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, etc. ) to get in.

Did Adam finally play for a .500 team last year? That would be a first.

Turn Off Ads?