Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds done dealing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are the Reds done dealing?

Ok, with the Reds signing Hannahan and dealing for Choo is the team set or could you see Walt doing another deal before opening day?

If you think there could be another deal, what would it be?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Re: Are the Reds done dealing?

if any more deals are going to happen i say they will be minor but I would like to see them get another arm in the bullpen.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

The only thing left that I can see doing is trying to stock the minor leagues with major league talent in case of an injury or something.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I'd be surprised if there was a deal for anything major, but there's allways a chacne Walt could try something like upgrading the rotation by going after someone like Garza.

I think most of any remaining acquisitions would be fringe/depth guys. I'd expect at least one other other OF for ST competition, another catcher (like Navarro) for ST and to stash in L'Ville in case of injury. I could see them adding a utility INF or two and one reliever from each side. I also expect them to add another starter along the lines of Francis or Willis to have in L'Vile in case of early-season injury.

What I would really like to see them do though, is take a little of our surplus and acquire a top young kid (or two) that is a year or two away from the bigs to bolster the top of the farm system. Ideally, a 3B or corner OF, but a young catcher, starter or high-leverage bullpen arm would not be frowned upon either.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 12-14-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    What I would really like to see them do though, is take a little of our surplus and acquire a top young kid (or two) that is a year or two away from the bigs to bolster the top of the farm system. Ideally, a 3B or corner OF, but a young catcher, starter or high-leverage bullpen arm would not be frowned upon either.
    I agree. A young corner OF with a little pop, a 3B, and I think there is now a need for a legitimate SS prospect at AA or AAA. Of course, you never can have too much pitching.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

nm

The only potential deal I can see right now is trading an arbitration-eligible reliever (e.g. Logan Ondrusek, Alfredo Simon) for a player to be named later.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

ESPN Insider's Jason A. Churchill had this this to say on the rumor mill.

Additionally, clubs such as the Reds, Rockies and possibly the Orioles are believed to be seeking relief help for the late innings.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/featu...20121213#14957
    This was placed in a Mike Adams column. However, it is said that the Angels, Rangers, Red Sox and White Sox are the leading candidates for him.

If Jocketty can pull it off, I'd much prefer a reliable new arm in the pen, rather than hoping Logan Ondrusek or Nick Masset can come through.
    Last edited by The Voice of IH; 12-14-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Jocketty still has chips left on the table-- a reliable, cheap MOR starter in Mike Leake, a few young relievers with live arms in Arredondo, Hoover, Simon, and Ondrusek, and a grizzled veteran arm with late-game experience coming back from injury in Masset.

He also has a (depleted) stock of prospects that may be of interest.

He could go for a set-up guy. He could decide to trade some of these guys for prospects. He could look for a better option behind the plate, as I believe that to be the weakest link in the Red 2013 armor. (Jocketty may not agree.)

I'm guessing he's done, aside from the inevitable bargain bin shopping for AAAA depth both in the rotation and bullpen. (I believe, with Donald, Burriss, H. Rodriguez, and Soto, he'll stand pat in the IF. Too, with Hamilton, LaMarre, Perez, and others in the AAA OF, there's not a lot of reason to go for a veteran there as well. Maybe a catcher to stash in Louisville, a la Navarro last season?)

You could see some changeover in the bullpen.

Arredondo had a bad second half. Ondrusek and Simon are arbitration eligible. Masset has been injured.

Much depends on the Reds' REAL plan for Chapman. If he will begin in the pen this year, then maybe nothing happens, the pen will be deemed complete for the early season.

But last year the Reds devoted a lot of effort to the bullpen. They signed Madson, they acquired Simon, Hoover, Broxton. Walt focuses on the bullpen.

So I wouldn't be suprised if Walt shedded one or two guys and added one or two guys.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ms-royals.html

Reds GM Walt Jocketty told reporters (including John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer) that his team is pretty much done its winter shopping, though he hinted that the Reds could add a left-handed reliever.

One more reliever, preferably a lefty. would be nice. Unless Leake or Cingrani go to the pen, it appears we've got Masset and Ondrusek battling for the last spot. It's no fatal flaw by any means, but another competing arm would be a welcome addition.

WJ says he's open to moves, albeit smaller ones...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...n-another-move
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't know if Jocketty is done dealin', but Dusty is really dealin' out there.

The Reds really need to do more. I mean how are they going to compete in the Central against the Cardinals now that the Cards got Randy Choate and Ty Wiggington in the off season??

Sarcasm aside, any move now that you guys make is just icing on the cake. The Reds clearly had the best offseason in this division and it's not even close.

Turn Off Ads?