Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds done dealing?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Are the Reds done dealing?

Reds signed Corky Miller to a minor league deal with an invite to major league spring training.

Makes me go hmmmmmmmm.

Mez trade possibility still out there?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Reds signed Corky Miller to a minor league deal with an invite to major league spring training.

Makes me go hmmmmmmmm.

Corky is a player/coach at AAA, who if circumstances forced him to Cincinnati could play a "serviceable" big league catcher. His value lies in his experience to teach the AAA guys, it has long been held that he is a manager in waiting, being groomed, while also having a playing role in the organization.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

You really think resigning Corky means the Reds will trade Mes? That's about as big a reach as I've ever heard on Redszone.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Makes me go hmmmmmmmm.

It sure doesn't make me do anything. It's organizational depth. Almost every major league club aspires to have veterans in the minors in case someone gets hurt.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Corky is a player/coach at AAA, who if circumstances forced him to Cincinnati could play a "serviceable" big league catcher. His value lies in his experience to teach the AAA guys, it has long been held that he is a manager in waiting, being groomed, while also having a playing role in the organization.
    Tell me something I don't know.

All of it is routine except for the ST invite. Strange.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Makes me go hmmmmmmmm.

You must be joking, right?

Tell me something I don't know.

All of it is routine except for the ST invite. Strange.
    All teams invite at least five catchers to spring training. They are needed to warm up the multitude of pitchers who are also invited. Pragmatism at its finest.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Makes me go hmmmmmmmm.

It'd make me wonder a little bit more if they haven't done this with him the last, I don't know 4-5 years. The Reds and Corky have a mutual understanding of each other and their roles.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

He gets a chance in the spring just in case of an injury. Maybe this only means we dont sign a guy like Navarro as we did last year. I wouldnt have minded us signing Kelly Shoppach as an insurance policy. That doesnt look likely now.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    He gets a chance in the spring just in case of an injury. Maybe this only means we dont sign a guy like Navarro as we did last year. I wouldnt have minded us signing Kelly Shoppach as an insurance policy. That doesnt look likely now.
    Why not? I don't think Corky's status changes that. He was in the system last year as well.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

If Corky Miller is the first catcher called up, the #2 option is currently Nevin Ashley.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=ashley001nev

After that, you're talking about Tucker Barnhart or a catcher they can DFA without being concerned of losing to another team e.g. Chris Berset or Mark Fleury (like the Padres have in Eddy Rodriguez).

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Why not? I don't think Corky's status changes that. He was in the system last year as well.
    I hope we do sign someone. Ill admit I might be reading into things a little too deeply but I dont remember last year corky being told hes getting a shot in Spring Training. Maybe they're trying to light a fire under Mes. I do remember Walt saying after the Choo deal that he would like for there to be a little more competition for spots in spring training even though the roster looks pretty much set barring injury.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

I hope we do sign someone. Ill admit I might be reading into things a little too deeply but I dont remember last year corky being told hes getting a shot in Spring Training. Maybe they're trying to light a fire under Mes. I do remember Walt saying after the Choo deal that he would like for there to be a little more competition for spots in spring training even though the roster looks pretty much set barring injury.
    I think pretty much every MLB veteran that signs a minor league contract gets an "Invite to spring training" especially catchers.

Walt's done a pretty good job of shopping, so its hard to want more, but....

....Three Wishes for the new year

1. J. P. Howell. Major league deal with Ondrusek shipped off for a low level prospect (maybe with somebody like Vidal or Soto packaged).

2. Cesar Izturis on a minor league contract.

3. Grady Sizemore on a AAA deal (since we're making Cincy Cleveland South).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd like Sizemore too but I readsomewhere that he had surgery again recently and is very unlikely to be ready for the season.

If that's not true I'd love to have him as the backup CF, although with all his knee problems I wonder if he can still play CF.

JP Howell would be great. Mike Gonzalez would be an ok consolation.

I don't think we need another light hitting middle infielder. Jason Donald should be just fine. After that maybe they give someone like Brodie Greene or Devin Lohman a chance.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?