Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds done dealing?

Re: Are the Reds done dealing?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd like Sizemore too but I readsomewhere that he had surgery again recently and is very unlikely to be ready for the season.

If that's not true I'd love to have him as the backup CF, although with all his knee problems I wonder if he can still play CF.

JP Howell would be great. Mike Gonzalez would be an ok consolation.

I don't think we need another light hitting middle infielder. Jason Donald should be just fine. After that maybe they give someone like Brodie Greene or Devin Lohman a chance.
    If Cozart goes down, I want a solid defender out there fielding the position every day. That isn't Donald, who would be barely better than Keppingeresque defensively as a day in, day out player at SS. Perfectly happy with Donald on the bench behind a healthy Cozart and Phillips, but I don't want him playing 9 innings at SS for more than a couple of days in a row. It would be a death blow to the pitching staff and, IMO, the extra outs would get teams deep into the Reds pen frequently. Izturis would be at AAA in case of emergency with minimum deal, a promise of a September a call-up and to not stand in his way if another team should have a similar need for him. He'd be the infield version of Corky Miller.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Walt's done a pretty good job of shopping, so its hard to want more, but....

....Three Wishes for the new year

1. J. P. Howell. Major league deal with Ondrusek shipped off for a low level prospect (maybe with somebody like Vidal or Soto packaged).

2. Cesar Izturis on a minor league contract.

3. Grady Sizemore on a AAA deal (since we're making Cincy Cleveland South).
    Unless some guys have been signed recently (I haven't been paying much attention since the Choo trade), it seemed like there were a few decent backup OFers still available in free agency. It wouldn't surprise me to see Walt kick the tires on those, if available.

But other than that, I see them signing a LOOGY and possibly bringing in competition in case of injury. That's it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If Cozart goes down, I want a solid defender out there fielding the position every day. That isn't Donald, who would be barely better than Keppingeresque defensively as a day in, day out player at SS. Perfectly happy with Donald on the bench behind a healthy Cozart and Phillips, but I don't want him playing 9 innings at SS for more than a couple of days in a row. It would be a death blow to the pitching staff and, IMO, the extra outs would get teams deep into the Reds pen frequently. Izturis would be at AAA in case of emergency with minimum deal, a promise of a September a call-up and to not stand in his way if another team should have a similar need for him. He'd be the infield version of Corky Miller.
    This is how I feel as well. I like Donald on the bench (Hannahan too), but full time shortstop....no thanks. I'm not sure Izturis would be my target, but I'm in sync with this line of thinking to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    This is how I feel as well. I like Donald on the bench (Hannahan too), but full time shortstop....no thanks. I'm not sure Izturis would be my target, but I'm in sync with this line of thinking to be sure.
    Izturis is a free agent, wouldn't cost talent, would come cheap and is a former gold glove winner. Not sure there is a better guy for that Job description of:

1. emergency glove stashed at AAA
    2. doesn't cost anything and
    3. would be no big loss if he had to be DFA'd when Cozart comes back
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Izturis is a free agent, wouldn't cost talent, would come cheap and is a former gold glove winner. Not sure there is a better guy for that Job description of:

1. emergency glove stashed at AAA
    2. doesn't cost anything and
    3. would be no big loss if he had to be DFA'd when Cozart comes back
    Izturis certainly won't do much with the bat, but I agree that does not prevent him from filling in better than Donald would for an extended period of time at SS. I hope Walt has given him a call to gauge interest.

Chris Dickerson

what about signing an ex Red to a minor league deal?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ssignment.html

Re: Chris Dickerson

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    what about signing an ex Red to a minor league deal?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ssignment.html
    I know he has his fans, but that .900+ OPS at SWB coupled with his big league numbers just reeks of an AAAA guy.

Oh God no. Do we have to do this again?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I know he has his fans, but that .900+ OPS at SWB coupled with his big league numbers just reeks of an AAAA guy.
    I think so too, but that's exactly what you sign to stash at AAA in case of emergency. Dickerson would be pretty decent insurance. He would have been a much better option last season instead of fooling with Willie Harris, Mike Costanzo and Kris Negron when the need arose. He's probably a better option than Dennis Phipps or Felix Perez and may even prove to be a better option than Xavier Paul if Paul should turn back into a pumpkin at some point in 2013.

While they are at it, they should find a AAAA guy who can play SS as well. The idea of Jason Donald starting at SS for a string of consecutive games if Cozart goes down gives me the heebee jeebees.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-05-2013 at 06:32 AM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's hard not to like Chris Dickerson. But I'm not sure he's anything better than Xavier Paul.

While they are at it, they should find a AAAA guy who can play SS as well. The idea of Jason Donald starting at SS for a string of consecutive games if Cozart goes down gives me the heebee jeebees.
    Emmanuel Burrus says hi. From Louisville.

As to Dickerson, where's he going to play in Louisville? They already have, like, five CF and two more OF to sort through. Too, if an OF goes down, you've got Heisey, Paul (who's Dickerson with a cheaper contract), and, if need be, Billy Hamilton.

The additions of Choo and Hannahan mean they're five corner guys for two spots (Bruce, Frazier, Heisey, Paul, Ludwick) and three or four for CF (Choo, Heisey, Paul, Bruce?) before you get into AAA. Once there, you've got Hamilton clearly ahead of anyone-- unless he struggles. Still, he needs ABs and will get them in Louisville. You can't play Dickerson in front of him. Add in Phipps, Perez, and others still in Louisville, and there's simply no room at the inn.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 01-05-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

As to Dickerson, where's he going to play in Louisville? They already have, like, five CF and two more OF to sort through. Too, if an OF goes down, you've got Heisey, Paul (who's Dickerson with a cheaper contract), and, if need be, Billy Hamilton.

The additions of Choo and Hannahan mean they're five corner guys for two spots (Bruce, Frazier, Heisey, Paul, Ludwick) and three or four for CF (Choo, Heisey, Paul, Bruce?) before you get into AAA. Once there, you've got Hamilton clearly ahead of anyone-- unless he struggles. Still, he needs ABs and will get them in Louisville. You can't play Dickerson in front of him. Add in Phipps, Perez, and others still in Louisville, and there's simply no room at the inn.
    I see that Paul played a little CF during his career. But having watched him in the corners it is hard to believe he is much of a defensive CF. He is mostly a good bench bat.

I think the Reds could use a veteran CF for AAA. If Choo or Heisey gets hurt they need someone they can rely on to play some CF and take some at bats in the major leagues. Maybe Phipps can do it but a guy like Dickerson would be a more experienced alternative.

Burriss maybe, but they may be relying on him more for infield with the trade of Gregorius.

Depth is most important for CF because the starter, Choo, isn't a natural CFer so an extra experienced guy for AAA seems logical.

Dickerson or somebody like him makes sense IMO. A true CFer with experience.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-05-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the Reds could use a veteran CF for AAA. If Choo or Heisey gets hurt they need someone they can rely on to play some CF and take some at bats in the major leagues. Maybe Phipps can do it but a guy like Dickerson would be a more experienced alternative.
    Whither Hamilton?

Also Ryan LaMarre
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

If Hamilton hits, he's the first choice if somebody goes down. If not, I'm not real fond of any of those other AAA Cf options. I'd cut Perez if they need to make a some room. Phipps might be my next choice as is. I'm completely underwhelmed by Ryan Lamarre.

Burris is a better idea than Donald if one of them must start 5 days per week, but he's still not the day in day out defender at SS that I'd want out there.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?