Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has main stream music passed away this generation?

Has main stream music passed away this generation?

I can't help but feel it has. Turning on the radio, and just listening to your standard music station you will hear nothing but mindless garbage. Very few songs have deep meaningful lyrics, or music and songs with serious "meat" on there bones.

Nirvana, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, The Who and so on and so forth. Music you would hear constantly on radio stations, day in and day out. Music that was popular by everyone's standards (more or less).

Today music feels like nothing more than mindless "junk food" music. With nothing but lyrics about how to screw men/women and bring them home to get laid. What happened to the day's of music like Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, Lithium, Something in the Way, etc...music with lyrics that have meaning, that have soul and true, true, genuine "feeling" to them.

Where has that all disappeared? Obviously, there's an indie scene, and obviously good music is still being produced, you just have dig a bit harder and farther..but what happened to the days when you could hear great music, beautiful music, music with soul and passion in every note, being played on the radio nearly 24/7?

It's a sad state of affairs, when Justin Beiber and Flo Rida is being eclipsed by the standards of yesterday by today's youth.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Has main stream music passed away this generation?

I'm pretty sure every song ever is about how to screw men/women, in all varieties of the word. The difference I've noticed is that music has shifted to digital instruments and digital interface sequencing. Things sound more cookie cutter because they are literally cookie cutter sequences being dragged across a digital editing program. If you hear the acoustic or live piano versions of some of these awful pop songs they actually start out with decent music at their core. Problem is they then digitalize them into the most sugary, ADD, hip hop/pop/rock hybrid Lego songs. Just my opinion though based on the non-rock radio I've heard lately.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 12-17-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Welcome to Corporate America. There's as much good music as ever, but you have to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I'm pretty sure every song ever is about how to screw men/women, in all varieties of the word. The difference I've noticed is that music has shifted to digital instruments and digital interface sequencing. Things sound more cookie cutter because they are literally cookie cutter sequences being dragged across a digital editing program. If you hear the acoustic or live piano versions of some of these awful pop songs they actually start out with decent music at their core. Problem is they then digitalize them into the most sugary, ADD, hip hop/pop/rock hybrid Lego songs. Just my opinion though based on the non-rock radio I've heard lately.
    Not every song is about screwing...

Nirvana-Lithium Lyrics

I'm so happy 'cause today
    I found my friends
    They're in my head
    I'm so ugly, that's okay
    'Cause so are you
    Broke our mirrors
    Sunday morning is everyday
    For all I care
    And I'm not scared
    Light my candles, in a daze
    'Cause I've found God

Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah

I'm so lonely, that's ok
    I shaved my head
    And I'm not sad
    And just maybe
    I'm to blame for all I've heard
    I'm not sure
    I'm so excited
    I can't wait to meet you there
    And I don't care
    I'm so horny, that's okay
    My will is good

Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah

I like it I'm not gonna crack
    I miss you I'm not gonna crack
    I love you I'm not gonna crack
    I killed you I'm not gonna crack

I'm so happy 'cause today
    I found my friends
    They're in my head
    I'm so ugly, but that's okay
    'Cause so are you
    Broke our mirrors
    Sunday morning is everyday
    For all I care
    And I'm not scared
    Light my candles in a daze
    'Cause I've found god

Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah yeah yeah yeah
    Yeah

Circa 1990

Katy Perry-Last Friday Night

There's a stranger in my bed,
    There's a pounding my head
    Glitter all over the room
    Pink flamingos in the pool
    I smell like a minibar
    DJ's passed out in the yard
    Barbie's on the barbeque

There's a hickie or a bruise
    Pictures of last night
    Eended up online
    I'm screwed
    Oh well
    It's a black top blur
    But I'm pretty sure it ruled

Last Friday night
    Yeah we danced on tabletops
    And we took too many shots
    Think we kissed but I forgot

Last Friday night
    Yeah we maxed our credit cards
    And got kicked out of the bar
    So we hit the boulevard

Last Friday night
    We went streaking in the park
    Skinny dipping in the dark
    Then had a menage a trois
    Last Friday night
    Yeah I think we broke the law
    Always say we're gonna stop-op
    Whoa-oh-oah

This Friday night
    Do it all again
    This Friday night
    Do it all again

Trying to connect the dots
    Don't know what to tell my boss
    Think the city towed my car
    Chandelier is on the floor
    With my favorite party dress
    Warrants out for my arrest
    Think I need a ginger ale
    That was such an epic fail

Pictures of last night
    Ended up online
    I'm screwed
    Oh well
    It's a blacked out blur
    But I'm pretty sure it ruled
    Damn

Last Friday night
    Yeah we danced on table tops

Last Friday night
    Yeah we maxed our credits card
    And got kicked out of the bars
    So we hit the boulevards

Last Friday night
    Skinny dipping int he dark
    Always say we're gonna stop-op
    Oh whoa oh

This Friday night
    Do it all again
    Do it all again
    This Friday night
    Do it all again
    Do it all again
    This Friday night

T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.
    T.G.I.F.

Last Friday night
    Yeah we danced on table tops

Last Friday night
    Yeah we maxed our credit cards
    And got kicked out of the bar
    So we hit the boulevard

Last Friday night
    Skinny dipping in the dark

Last Friday night
    Always say we're gonna stop
    Oh-whoa-oh
    This Friday night
    Do it all again
    There definitely more blatantly put into today's lyrics. Last Friday night, I have a stranger in my bed, I had a threesome? I mean, sure songs have always been to some degree sexual in some nature..but today's lyrics just go full frontal with no shame at all..and honestly that's all I ever feel like I hear..songs about love, or songs about banging..What happened to music like Bob Dylan, or Johnny Cash, music where there was more variety than just singing about some hot guy/hot girl that they met at the bar and want to screw?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Point taken, but you're crossing genres as well as eras when you're comparing today's mainstream pop songs to artists who weren't really pop in their own time. By and large, the kids who listen to Katy Perry or Justin Bieber today, their predecessors weren't into Nirvana or Zeppelin or Cash.

On the Billboard singles charts, Pink Floyd had one #1 hit and one other top-20 song. The Monkees had three #1s and three other top-fives. Apples and oranges.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

The only addition to this thread that I have is that this thread title made me realize I honestly cannot remember the last time I listened to a music station. That's no exaggeration it has literally been years, I'm kind of shocked by that and I love music, so maybe it kind of proves the OP's point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

"We all just wanna be big rock stars
    Living in hilltop mansions driving fifteen cars
    The girls come easy and the drugs are cheap
    We'll all stay skinny cause we just won't eat"

or

"Never gonna give up my rugged life
    Never gonna sell my fertile soil
    Never gonna give up this simple style
    So let's drink and enjoy"

one of these is far more authentic than the other to me.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

1976 - Disco Duck hits Number One in September, let's not believe that only good music was in the past, in case we need reminders of the dreck we had to stomach to hear the "classic" (and lord I wish some of them would go away today) check out these songs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1976 - Disco Duck hits Number One in September, let's not believe that only good music was in the past, in case we need reminders of the dreck we had to stomach to hear the "classic" (and lord I wish some of them would go away today) check out these songs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States
    Yep, and remember how big trucker music was for a short time?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Yep, and remember how big trucker music was for a short time?
    Pedro's 4th grade class voted to sing a song at the Christmas Pageant and the song that won was Convoy

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Welcome to Corporate America. There's as much good music as ever, but you have to find it.
    Yep. Look around. TV, movies, music..... very little is original anymore. It is just a copied formula from something else that was successful before it. But taken, or attempted to be taken, to the next level.

Hotter girls. More sex. More money. More explosions. More judges. More singers.

But to camis last point, there is probably more good music than ever before. Today you can record a song from your bedroom with the quality that you used to only be able to get in professional studios. And you can do it with an $800 laptop and a $100 mic.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. Look around. TV, movies, music..... very little is original anymore. It is just a copied formula from something else that was successful before it. But taken, or attempted to be taken, to the next level.

Hotter girls. More sex. More money. More explosions. More judges. More singers.

But to camis last point, there is probably more good music than ever before. Today you can record a song from your bedroom with the quality that you used to only be able to get in professional studios. And you can do it with an $800 laptop and a $100 mic.
    I've spent so much time finding the old classic cartoons for my nieces and nephews. Children's programming is in the same drek the music industry is. They are complete garbage IMO, there is more entertainment value and educational value in a single Bugs Bunny cartoon than whole days of Nick Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Pop music has always been about getting laid, or not getting laid anymore. Robert Johnson wrote about sex with double entendres that were "borrowed" by Led Zeppelin and many others.

I like the way Nick Hornby wrote it in High Fidelity "What came first, the music or the misery? ...Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

I left a sentence out, but the meaning is still there. Pop music is often, and has always often been, about love, lust and parties. If I'm not mistaken the term rock and roll was a euphamism for sex before it was a type of music.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I've spent so much time finding the old classic cartoons for my nieces and nephews. Children's programming is in the same drek the music industry is. They are complete garbage IMO, there is more entertainment value and educational value in a single Bugs Bunny cartoon than whole days of Nick Jr.
    I'm raising my kids on The Simpsons...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Pop music has always been about getting laid, or not getting laid anymore. Robert Johnson wrote about sex with double entendres that were "borrowed" by Led Zeppelin and many others.

I like the way Nick Hornby wrote it in High Fidelity "What came first, the music or the misery? ...Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

I left a sentence out, but the meaning is still there. Pop music is often, and has always often been, about love, lust and parties. If I'm not mistaken the term rock and roll was a euphamism for sex before it was a type of music.
    The difference is, pop music used to at least attempt to hide what it was saying. Now they are just coming out and saying it. To adults, there is no difference. For kids, there is a huge difference.

Turn Off Ads?