Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass Music

Re: Bluegrass Music

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Newgrass Revival, Yonder Mountain Stringband are the kind of BG band that stretches out the genre.

Classics of course are Seldom Scene, Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers.

A great CD for that genre is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_th...le_Be_Unbroken
    Yonder Mountain Stringband is a good one, especially for someone just getting into bluegrass, I know, I'm one of them.

Just bought tickets for a show in March...Jay Ungar and Molly Mason including the family. I'm excited! Any of you people ever seen these guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Noone's mentioned Hayseed Dixie. I think the genre is called rockgrass or something like that, I think.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

A lot of good suggestions in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Anything by Alison Krauss and Union Station.
    Any Union Station mention merits a Jerry Douglas mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'd check out a Punch Brothers album. Chris Thile is a master of the mandolin.
    Thile's previous band, Nickel Creek, was pretty popular in a pop-bluegrass sort of way.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    You're absolutely right. I was at their show at the Taft back in March and he did an extended bit by himself while the rest of the band was taking a break. Brilliant stuff. Every member of that band is top notch.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Trampled by Turtles are enjoying some recent success, and has a songwriter twist on bluegrass. I heartily second Old and In the Way. Yes, yes, yes.

They're not strictly bluegrass, but I highly recommend Old Crow Medicine Show. I also second pretty much every recommendation in this thread so far.

Sam Bush
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

Thile's previous band, Nickel Creek, was pretty popular in a pop-bluegrass sort of way.
    I like their stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Steve Martin is my suggestion.
    Absolutely, Rare Bird Alert is a great album
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Are you wanting bluegrass, or are you wanting bands that sound like Mumford & Sons? There's a big difference.
    I guess that's a good question, but I don't know. I've never heard Mumford. She likes a lot of banjo, I think.
    For my own sanity, groups with singers who sing instead of howling is preferable.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Thank you everyone. I now have a list. Will go and sample online and see if I can find something that might appeal to her and not drive me batty if I have to listen along.
    I'll follow up with what I end up buying and how it was received.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Seems to be a trend.

My daughter bought a banjo for her boyfriend for Xmas. As well as my son's girlfriend bought him a banjo for Christmas.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown is in my future.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Are you wanting bluegrass, or are you wanting bands that sound like Mumford & Sons? There's a big difference.
    Right, I just read this thread and Mumford & Sons have some Bluegrass leanings, I would never put them in with any of the classic bluegrass artists...I would think they fall more into the FOLK or NEWGRASS genres.

I find them pretty comparable to bands like The Lumineers, The Wedding Band and Of Monsters and Men...you may even venture out to someone like Sufjan Stevens, Sam Phillips, St Lola in the Fields, Phil Madeira, The Civil Wars, Over The Rhine, Julie Miller and Buddy Miller.

Again, make sure your daughter is into Bluegrass which is more twangy than folk...they use the same instruments but folk can get sort of trippy when it wants too. And if she does like Bluegrass, make sure you know if it is Bluegrass or Newgrass/Americana. Allison Krauss and Union Station, Nickle Creek, Mutual Admiration Society and The Greencards are in the Newgrass vein...Americana type artists would be Wilco, Iron & Wine, Fleet Foxes and the sort.

Hope this is helpful.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I'd add The Avett Brothers to the Mumford list.

The true bluegrass list is a good one, too. There's a lot of variety there, which is something people don't often credit bluegrass for.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?