Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Reds Pitching How Good was it?

2012 Reds Pitching How Good was it?

Pretty darn good

Since 1900

Code:
    Best Reds staff (in the Modern Era) vs the the league ERA

CINCINNATI REDS
    SEASON
    MODERN (1900-)

ERA                           YEAR     DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE      W        L     BR/9 IP   SO/9 IP    SO/BB   
    1    Reds                     1925     0.89     3.38     4.27       80       73    11.80     2.86     1.35   
    2    Reds                     1940     0.80     3.05     3.85      100       53    11.03     3.56     1.25   
    3    Reds                     1923     0.78     3.22     3.99       91       63    12.02     2.91     1.25   
    4    Reds                     1924     0.75     3.12     3.86       83       70    11.29     2.95     1.54   
    5    Reds                     1919     0.68     2.23     2.91       96       44    10.04     2.87     1.37   
    6    Reds                     1939     0.64     3.27     3.91       97       57    11.97     4.08     1.28   
    7    Reds                     1944     0.64     2.97     3.61       89       65    10.90     2.31     0.93   
    8    Reds                     2012     0.61     3.34     3.95       97       65    11.36     7.73     2.92   
    9    Reds                     1999     0.58     3.99     4.57       96       67    12.25     6.65     1.70   
    10   Reds                     1922     0.56     3.53     4.10       86       68    11.89     2.32     1.10 

ERA                             DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE    RSAA      IP     BR/9 IP   SO/9 IP    SO/BB   
    1    Aroldis Chapman            2.44     1.51     3.95       21     71.2     7.79    15.32     5.30   
    2    Tony Cingrani              2.15     1.80     3.95        1      5      10.80    16.20     4.50   
    3    J.J. Hoover                1.90     2.05     3.95        7     30.2     8.80     9.10     2.38   
    4    Sean Marshall              1.44     2.51     3.95       11     61      10.92    10.92     4.63   
    5    Alfredo Simon              1.30     2.66     3.95       10     61      13.72     7.67     2.36   
    6    Johnny Cueto               1.17     2.78     3.95       34    217      11.03     7.05     3.47   
    7    Jonathan Broxton           1.13     2.82     3.95        3     22.1     9.67     8.06     6.67   
    8    Jose Arredondo             1.00     2.95     3.95        8     61      12.54     9.15     1.82   
    9    Sam LeCure                 0.81     3.14     3.95        7     57.1    10.99     9.58     2.65   
    10   Logan Ondrusek             0.49     3.46     3.95        4     54.2    13.99     6.42     1.26   
    11   Mat Latos                  0.47     3.48     3.95       16    209.1    10.62     7.95     2.89   
    12   Homer Bailey               0.27     3.68     3.95       11    208      11.51     7.27     3.23   
    13   Bronson Arroyo             0.21     3.74     3.95       10    202      11.09     5.75     3.69   
    14   Mike Leake                 -.62     4.58     3.95       -8    179      12.32     5.83     2.83   
    15   Bill Bray                 -1.24     5.19     3.95       -1      8.2    20.77     7.27     0.50   
    16   Todd Redmond              -6.85    10.80     3.95       -2      3.1    32.40     5.40     0.40

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Reds Pitching How Good was it?

Interesting how the k/9 was SO low back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Interesting how the k/9 was SO low back in the day.
    Hence why assists for IF's are at peak then too.

Plus BA's consistently higher

The K/BB ratio is almost 3.0, almost 1.5 higher than any other year.

The Reds allowed the 3rd-fewest walks, 7th-fewest hits, 3rd-fewest Earned Runs, and had 3rd-best WHIP in all of MLB. It's very hard to get on base against us.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Factor in parks and 2012 would rank even higher, don't you think?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow! I knew they were good but not that good. Great job boys!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Factor in parks and 2012 would rank even higher, don't you think?
    IIRC, park adjusted ERA was something like the best in the majors in 10 years or something.

Possible alternate title: 2012 Reds Fielding How Good was it?

The pitching deserves the overwhelming majority of the credit, but having a fantastic defense behind them couldn't have hurt.

Friday, May 16, 2003

Reds Notebook
    Guillen knew the score, Bowden says

By John Fay
    The Cincinnati Enquirer

ST. LOUIS - Jose Guillen's trade demand is falling upon deaf ears in the Reds' front office.

"Before we signed Jose we had a conference call with Jose and his agent, Adam Katz," Reds general manager Jim Bowden said. "We told him that Adam Dunn was the left fielder, Austin Kearns was the right fielder and Ken Griffey Jr. was the center fielder. He would be the fourth outfielder. He agreed and said it was a good fit for him."

That hasn't changed.

"We expect Jose to fulfill his obligation to us," Bowden said.

Guillen says he was misled; Bowden says the Reds have been up front with him from the start.

Guillen started Thursday's game. He was upset Wednesday when he was not in the lineup. Guillen says he was told Griffey would be eased back into the lineup.

"I'm not stupid," Guillen said. "I know Dunn and Kearns have 13 home runs and over 20 RBI. Griffey is a superstar. Those guys are going to play every day.

"It's not a good situation for me. They should trade me."

Guillen remains an unhappy camper - even with Thursday's start.

"I'll probably get three hits and be out the next day," Guillen said.

Guillen was 2-for-4 Thursday.

BRANYAN UPDATE: Bowden said Russell Branyan either will continue to rehab with the Reds or go to Sarasota, Fla., to do it.

"The commissioner's office denied our request for another 20-game rehab assignment at (Triple-A) Louisville," Bowden said.

Branyan is still working to get his throwing arm in shape after October shoulder surgery.

MAYBE TODAY: Barry Larkin pinch hit Thursday and walked in the ninth. Larkin hopes his left calf feels good enough to play today in Milwaukee.

"Hopefully," Larkin said. "We'll see if I can do what I need to be able to do."

MATEO TO LOUISVLLE: Ruben Mateo cleared waivers and was outrighted to Louisville.

The Reds designated Mateo for assignment Tuesday to make room for Griffey on the roster.

Mateo must accept the assignment to Louisville. He hit .200 in more than 50 at-bats for the Reds. He had one home run and four RBI.

MEETING KEY: Three things happened at about the same time for the Reds. They had the major roster shakeup in Puerto Rico. They started getting better starting pitching. And they had the obligatory team meeting.

They've gone from 5-13 to 21-20 since those things happened, a 16-7 record.

Which was biggest of the three?

"I think it was the meeting," Sean Casey said.

The meeting - called by Scott Sullivan - was short but intense.

"We've had a different attitude since," Casey said. "Guys spoke their mind. We wanted to get everyone on the same page."

"After 20 games, we were as bad as you can be," Aaron Boone said. "We got together in the meeting and let it fly."

The roster moves didn't hurt either.

"Guys realized that no one's job was safe," Casey said.

CLIMBING THE CHARTS: At one time the Reds were last in hitting, fielding and pitching in the National League.

They pulled out of last in hitting about two weeks ago. Thursday, they moved out of the cellar in pitching as well.

Danny Graves' shutout Wednesday dropped the team ERA to 5.50, just ahead of Colorado, which is at 5.56.

The Reds are also no longer on pace to set a major-league record for strikeouts. Through 41 games, the Reds have fanned 340 times. That puts them on pace to strike out 1,343 times. The 2001 Milwaukee Brewers hold the record with 1,399.

GOLD GLOVES: The Reds are moving up in fielding percentage as well. Thursday's game was the third straight in which they didn't commit an error. That's the longest streak of the year.
    Ahh the good ole days....

It's hard to forget those first few seasons of the lost decade. Reading that article brought back the familiar gnashing of my teeth.

Good pitcng and fielding are not things to be taken for granted.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Ahh the good ole days....
    Wow. That was depressing as hell.

more nostalgia on the good ole days:

May 2, 2005

Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati, Ohio

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Jim Edmonds considered bunting but then changed his mind and hit a three-run homer. John Mabry just tried to put the ball in play -- but put it over the center field wall for the go-ahead runs.

The greatest ninth-inning comeback in St. Louis Cardinals history was made of odd moments.

Edmonds' two-out homer off Danny Graves got the seemingly down-and-out Cardinals within a run, and Mabry's first homer of the season completed a seven-run rally for a 10-9 victory over the crestfallen Cincinnati Reds on Monday night.

"It was like an ugly game gone uglier," Edmonds said. "It was just a wild game."

One that neither the Reds nor their 15,961 booing fans will soon forget. Cincinnati hadn't blown a six-run lead in the ninth since June 29, 1952, when an 8-2 advantage turned into a 9-8 loss to the Cubs.

"That's what you've got to do, but it's not easy to think about during the night," Reds manager Dave Miley said, staring straight ahead as he tried to put it behind him. "It's not easy to give a big-league game away, but we did."

Until the ninth, they thought they were the ones getting the breaks.

Ken Griffey Jr.'s disputed homer -- a drive that hit the top of the wall and bounced back -- helped Cincinnati pull ahead 9-3 after eight innings. The Cardinals then sent 12 batters to the plate in a topsy-turvy ninth that consisted of four singles, two walks, two homers and an error.

David Weathers walked the first two batters and let in the first two runs. Graves (1-1) came on to face Edmonds, who came to the plate thinking he just needed to get on base.

"I was thinking about bunting, honestly," Edmonds said. "I looked at the scoreboard and we were down four and I'm the third run. He [Graves] doesn't give up too many runs to us."

On Graves' third pitch, Edmonds got a sloppy breaking ball and hit it deep into the seats for his sixth homer. Mark Grudzielanek then hit a ball through first baseman Sean Casey, who got an error, and Mabry hit one over the wall in center.

"Nobody wants to make that last out," Mabry said. "That's what it comes down to."

The fans booed Graves as he walked off the field after his first blown save in nine chances. The Reds have blown leads of four, five, and now six runs since last Wednesday.

"It's frustrating, but what's even more frustrating is hearing the fans boo you in your own ballpark," Graves said. "We're out there trying the best we can. That's not the first time it's happened, and as long as I'll be playing, it won't be the last."

The Reds appeared to have the game well in hand after they scored four runs in the eighth, which ended with Randy Flores (1-0) striking out Adam Dunn. Julian Tavarez closed out the Cardinals' comeback win by pitching the ninth for his second save.

The NL Central leaders went 14-5 against the Reds last season and have won two of three this year. All the Reds could win on Monday was a home-run dispute.

Griffey had failed to hit a homer in his first 79 at-bats, the longest drought of his career to start a season. He broke it with a shot in Milwaukee on Saturday that barely cleared the wall in center.

His second homer of the season didn't even make it that far.

Griffey led off the sixth with a drive that landed on the yellow padding atop the wall in center and bounced back. The umpires ruled the ball was in play, with Griffey stopping at second for a double. Then the crew huddled and decided it was a homer -- the 503rd of Griffey's career.

The umpiring crew was led by Ed Montague, a 30-year veteran who worked home plate for the All-Star Game last year and Game 1 of the World Series, when Boston beat St. Louis. Montague said the crew was split on whether the ball had hit the top of the wall and bounced over.

Montague thought it had hit the wall, continued over to a grassy slope and bounced back onto the field.

"To me, it hit the grass and came back," Montague said. "That's what I got."

Edmonds argued briefly and then watched the torment continue for starter Chris Carpenter. First baseman Albert Pujols' errant throw extended the inning, setting up Rich Aurilia's sacrifice fly and Jason LaRue's two-run double for a 5-2 lead.

Dunn hit a solo homer in the eighth off Carmen Cali, and Aurilia had an RBI double off the wall in center as the Reds pulled away with another four-run spree.

Game notes

Pujols singled and doubled, extending his hitting streak to 13 games. ... Third baseman Scott Rolen was out of the Cardinals' lineup with a sore upper back. He had started all 23 games this season. ... Pujols is the only Cardinal to play in every game so far. ... Reds pitchers have given up 41 homers in 25 games, most in the NL. Last year they gave up 236, three shy of the NL record. ... Left-hander Eric Milton gave up his 11th homer, a solo shot by So Taguchi that put the Cardinals up 1-0 in the third. Milton gave up an NL-leading 43 last year with Philadelphia.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250502117

Really?

Why not just push me in front of a train?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Really?

Why not just push me in front of a train?
    LOL sorry man had to bring that epic game up again. Still remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    LOL sorry man had to bring that epic game up again. Still remember it.
    I think just about everyone around here remembers that game.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Turn Off Ads?