Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: When should the Reds target for Billy Hamilton's promotion to the majors?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Season's start. (No need to wait, let him get big league experience now.)

0 0%
  • Mid Season Classic. (Let him refine his def. skills in cf for a few months and fast track him)

8 9.20%
  • September Call-Up (Get him on the roster for a possible post season run and a cup of tea)

61 70.11%
  • 2014 (Give him a full season to develop and get him ready to start in 2014)

18 20.69%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll Billy Hamilton

Poll Billy Hamilton

When should the Reds target for Billy Hamilton's promotion to the majors?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Poll Billy Hamilton

In a perfect world, September 1.

I'd like to see him up early enough that he is eligible for the playoff roster.

The perfect day would be Opening Day 2014 as the first hitter in the lineup, after an All-Star transition year by Choo.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I voted for September first, but I would have preferred the last day possible for him to be eligible for the playoff roster. I want him to continue developing in AAA for the majority of the year, but by the last day he would be playoff eligible, he should be ready to contribute to the major league team with not only his speed, but hopefully his bat and glove. Let's hope Billy continues his development this year.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I voted for September first, but I would have preferred the last day possible for him to be eligible for the playoff roster.

The actual poll actually says just before Sept 1 to allow for that.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The actual poll actually says just before Sept 1 to allow for that.
    Well it says September call-up, which I always take as a guy who is called up on September 1st. I just wanted to clarify my vote.

A speed guy is worth much more in short series like the playoffs and World Series, so I'd prefer to see him instead of a backup middle infielder or long reliever. Therefore, I'd like to see him brought up in the last few days of August.

Let Billy Hamilton dictate his arrival.

Unless theres an injury theres no spot for him to play until 2014 after Choo presumably leaves, hopefully though we will see him in Sept and we can see how much havoc his speed can wreck on the basepaths. I do wonder with our current lack of SS depth if Cozart were to get injured would the reds consider bring Hamilton up to play short?

I really dont follow the reds minor league players like others do on this board but it appears to me that many see him as a cant miss type player and think its a matter of time before he is penciled in the lineup and is a superstar. From my perspective, other than the stolen bases, what is so great or promising about this guy? He has played but 50 games at the AA level with ok but not great results and Baseball America only has him ranked as the 48th best prospect in MLB.

Dont misunderstand, I am not saying I think he will be a dud but until he can prove he can get on base at the MLB level then he could be one of the thousands of prospects that excelled at the lower levels of the minors but couldnt perform at the higher levels. I am sure the reds could bring him up now to steal bases but I think the reds need more than another Herb Washington.I guess till I see him perform at a level higher than 50 games at AA then I cant get to excited about him.

Where am I wrong for those in the know?
    Last edited by George Anderson; 12-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Billy had an OBP of over .400 last year. If he can continue that, he will have tremendous value going forward, especially when you consider his speed.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Gosh, I'd hate to be Billy Hamilton right now. The fan pressure and expectations are getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I really dont follow the reds minor league players like others do on this board but it appears to me that many see him as a cant miss type player and think its a matter of time before he is penciled in the lineup and is a superstar. From my perspective, other than the stolen bases, what is so great or promising about this guy? He has played but 50 games at the AA level with ok but not great results and Baseball America only has him ranked as the 48th best prospect in MLB.

Dont misunderstand, I am not saying I think he will be a dud but until he can prove he can get on base at the MLB level then he could be one of the thousands of prospects that excelled at the lower levels of the minors but couldnt perform at the higher levels. I am sure the reds could bring him up now to steal bases but I think the reds need more than another Herb Washington.I guess till I see him perform at a level higher than 50 games then I cant get to excited about him.

Hamilton is not likely to be a superstar in my opinion. His success is going to depend to a huge extent on his OBP and his defense. He is unlikely to ever have much power. Stolen bases are over-rated in terms of their impact on scoring. For his running game to add significantly to his value his stolen base percentage will have to be 85% or better, which is unlikely to happen. Since he has no power his OBP will have to be .370+ and his defense will have to be above average in centerfield for him to be considered a star player.

Most prospect evaluators will have Hamilton ranked in their top 20 best prospects in baseball, most likely in the 10-20 range. He is a very good prospect and is highly likely to have a good MLB career, but I think his star potential is limited.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

When Hamilton gets to the big leagues, his frame will fill out more with that buffet the players get. LOL. I'm kidding.

But the kid will fill out and have more power than he has right now. He's not going to be Bruce or Adam Dunn, but I don't see him simply as Willy Tavares either.

Turn Off Ads?