Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: When should the Reds target for Billy Hamilton's promotion to the majors?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Season's start. (No need to wait, let him get big league experience now.)

0 0%
  • Mid Season Classic. (Let him refine his def. skills in cf for a few months and fast track him)

8 9.20%
  • September Call-Up (Get him on the roster for a possible post season run and a cup of tea)

61 70.11%
  • 2014 (Give him a full season to develop and get him ready to start in 2014)

18 20.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poll Billy Hamilton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Poll Billy Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Baseball America only has him ranked as the 48th best prospect in MLB.
    That was before 2012. Odds are incredibly strong he will be a Top 25 prospect when the new list comes out in January.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

In the same vein as Chapman, Billy will put butts in the seats if he is the real deal. If the guy hits around .300 at Louisville, steals a gazillion bases.........it won't be long until he's up here.

Reds are on the verge of having two major league freaks of nature. The fastest pitcher and the fastest baserunner.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    In the same vein as Chapman, Billy will put butts in the seats if he is the real deal. If the guy hits around .300 at Louisville, steals a gazillion bases.........it won't be long until he's up here.

Reds are on the verge of having two major league freaks of nature. The fastest pitcher and the fastest baserunner.
    I don't know. Where are they going to play him? They just signed Ludwick to a decent contract. They just made a huge trade for Choo, who historically speaking, is better than Hamilton could realistically be expected to be in his first season and they also have Jay Bruce, who isn't going anywhere. Hamilton needs to be hitting very well and have some sort of major injury happen in order for him to be up before late August/September IMO. He isn't on the 40 man roster right now, so when they call him up, they aren't going to do so with the idea of sending him back down at any point this season.

I don't know he'll be ready by 2014. If he is, that will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Let Billy Hamilton dictate his arrival.
    ^ This

There is no need to put a timetable on him. He'll be ready when he's ready.

If he repeats his 2012 performance with the bat and looks good in the outfield, bring him up in June/July and pencil him into the lineup for the next six years. If he drops off a bit but still performs at an acceptable level, bring him up after the minor league playoffs in September and give him a long look as the starting CF in 2014. If he barely hits his weight and struggles in the field, start making plans for another CF solution.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Let Billy Hamilton dictate his arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know. Where are they going to play him?
    They won't call him up before the deadline unless there is an injury or unless Choo/Bruce prove utterly incapable of patrolling CF.

Sorry I put September call up not thinking to be on the postseason roster he would have to be up at the end of Aug. If they are going to bring him up late in the season I'd assume they would make him eligible for the postseason.

I'm all for taking our time with him. I was curious where others stood on him. As for what he will be in the majors I think this kid has a chance to be special. It's all going to come down to obp for him. If he can get on base there have been very few in mlb history who were/are capable of putting pressure on defenses and pitchers like Hamilton. Does it guarantee he'll be an all star or superstar? No. But can he be the lead off hitter this team has desperately missed for the last decade plus, I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know. Where are they going to play him? They just signed Ludwick to a decent contract. They just made a huge trade for Choo, who historically speaking, is better than Hamilton could realistically be expected to be in his first season and they also have Jay Bruce, who isn't going anywhere. Hamilton needs to be hitting very well and have some sort of major injury happen in order for him to be up before late August/September IMO. He isn't on the 40 man roster right now, so when they call him up, they aren't going to do so with the idea of sending him back down at any point this season.
    This Reds regime has been historically slow at promoting star caliber players. We'll probably have to wait until Opening Day 2014 to see him at the earliest. Never mind where is he going to play, and who are they going to take off the 40 man roster for him.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    This Reds regime has been historically slow at promoting star caliber players. We'll probably have to wait until Opening Day 2014 to see him at the earliest. Never mind where is he going to play, and who are they going to take off the 40 man roster for him.
    I don't know that I agree at all with this. In fact, it seems to me that high profile prospects who could potentially be PR cash cows usually tend to be rushed before they are 100% ready. In recent years, that list includes Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, and Aroldis Chapman. I feel all three were rushed to the majors before they were ready simply because the team felt they would bring fans to the ballpark. Only Joey Votto was not rushed.

Billy Hamilton should not sniff Cincinnati before 2014 - not even in September. I am not even real confident he'll be ready then. But I can't help but feel that come June or July during the 2013 season, they will promote him simply because he can put fans in the seats. And if one of the OF's (Ludwick, Choo, or Bruce) goes into a prolonged slump, the outcry to promote Hamilton will be overwhelming. The game threads will be unbearable to follow because the call to promote him will dominate the game threads for weeks.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I'd shoot for 2014. I would not be opposed to a looksee in Aug/Sept if the situation allows.

But if we are setting a target date for a kid that has yet to face AAA pitching and is learning a new position, I'll give him a year before I start making plans.

But if he wows in AAA, that changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    He is a very good prospect and is highly likely to have a good MLB career, but I think his star potential is limited.
    I would differ from you in that I think he has superstar potential. However I have a hunch I believe he has a higher chance to flame out than you. Who knows.

Doug you've seen a lot of this guy, what is your opinion as far as what his ceiling is as a major leaguer?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Doug you've seen a lot of this guy, what is your opinion as far as what his ceiling is as a major leaguer?
    Doug can chime in but I recall him saying he could be a multiple MVP guy if it all breaks right. He did not say that is what he expects to happen.

Turn Off Ads?