Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Power Rankings: Nationals, Reds 1-2

ESPN Power Rankings: Nationals, Reds 1-2

Anyone else catch this from ESPN today? Seems the Reds are getting some respect for 2013 already. Here's the love David Schoenfield gives our beloved team:

2. Cincinnati Reds (97-65, plus-81)

The Reds solved their big hole in the leadoff position by acquiring Shin-Soo Choo, and Jack Hannahan and Jason Donald will improve a bench that carried Miguel Cairo and Wilson Valdez in 2012. The biggest move, however, will be the transition of Aroldis Chapman to the rotation, with Jonathan Broxton taking over as closer. The Reds' rotation was outstanding in 2012, but also went through the season without the five starters missing a single start. But the Reds do have depth here in case Chapman falters or Bronson Arroyo regresses from a strong 2012.

Strengths: Joey Votto; rotation depth; bullpen depth.

Weaknesses: outfield defense with Choo in center; some players -- Ryan Ludwick, Todd Frazier, Johnny Cueto -- will have to repeat their big seasons.
    Last edited by RedEye; 12-16-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: ESPN Power Rankings: Nationals, Reds 1-2

seems like a fair assessment of the Reds to me. As for his overall top 10, he left both the Angels and Giants out of it, expecting the Angels to finish 3rd in the division again. I think you have to
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 12-17-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Broxton is not the answer at closer....maybe if this were 2007...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Broxton is not the answer at closer....maybe if this were 2007...
    If Broxton the Reds from 2012 shows up, he can close. If Broxton the Royal from 2012, be worried.

Ya gotta figure the Blue Jays should move into the top 10 after the Dickey trade.

Yet another plus factor for the Nats is having Storen for a full season. It would be a disappointment if that team wins less than 95 games...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If Broxton the Reds from 2012 shows up, he can close. If Broxton the Royal from 2012, be worried.
    I'm betting we're getting Broxton the Red in 2013. Broxton the Royal was still shaking off the rust in the early days of his comeback from TJ surgery. By the time he got to the Reds, his control appeared to have returned, and his K/9 and K/BB rates were pretty dominant.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Anyone else catch this from ESPN today? Seems the Reds are getting some respect for 2013 already. Here's the love David Schoenfield gives our beloved team:
    Looks like they did the classic "Your 2013 assessment = your 2012 final record + your offseason". Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If this Reds team is healthy they will be able to play with anyone in all of baseball. I do agree that Frazier and Cueto will have to continue what they started in 2012. I think Ludwick will repeat what he did and I have a feeling Aroldis starts the season in the pen and moves his way into a starters spot.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Personally, I'm still hoping that Marshall ends up closing. Broxton's a good arm to add to the pen regardless of where we end up using him.

I like what the Reds have and I like what I think they can do....I still see a few weak spots but I think they can be solved with guys we already have....I think if Masset can come back strong then that helps a ton...if Broxton can be strong then that helps, if Corcino and Cingrani can continue their devolopment then that helps, if Hamilton can do the same then that helps.....

its nice to finally have all the pieces there...we just need to make them fit. Its been a long time since that has happened.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm willing to give Chapman a shot at starting. BUT.........I think our starting rotation was like 3rd in all of mlb last season and I think our bullpen was too.

So with Chapman starting, what?........do they move up to 2nd in starting rotation but the bullpen falls to like 10th or 15th????

I'd still like to keep Chapman at Closer. He turns a 9-inning game into an 8-inning game nearly every time.

And with Cingrani and Corcino in the wings at Louisville, and Mike Leake hopefully poised for a better 2013 than 2012, I roll the dice and keep the starting rotation the same.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Looks like they did the classic "Your 2013 assessment = your 2012 final record + your offseason". Unfortunately, it doesn't really work that way.
    How else would you judge them during the offseason?

Go watch each player workout and get a sense of their determination for the upcoming season?

I fail to understand how they can rank NYY #3 going into 2013 with a straight face. That blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    How else would you judge them during the offseason?

Go watch each player workout and get a sense of their determination for the upcoming season?
    No. There are better ways to project next season's performance than simply by assuming they'll repeat last year. And they don't involve watching the player work out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    No. There are better ways to project next season's performance than simply by assuming they'll repeat last year. And they don't involve watching the player work out.
    Yeah, I didn't take this as much more than a conventional wisdom barometer. Still, nice to see the Reds getting some play. Only time will tell, of course.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?