Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has main stream music passed away this generation?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Has main stream music passed away this generation?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Maybe you're just listening to too much Budweiser. There are better LPs out there.
    Never had any beer, so that isn't the problem.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Never had any beer, so that isn't the problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEGAdEGnqKA
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If we are posting beer videos, this one trumps all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBl4qH9I54

that makes me happy in so odd ways.

although i posted the wrong video i meant to do "Bring Me Pints of Beer (If You Don't Drink Visku Jehud)"
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I don't really like the Beatles but I can say they are a top three band of all time. At some point, the masses win out.

Where dos Tom T Hall fall in this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcIJew-ePOQ
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I actually have no idea what my comment meant. I didn't when I typed it either.

As for the topic, I think it's interestin that echoes of what used to be found in mainstream music can still be heard in so much indy music. Some of it creeps into radio play occasionally as well. Fun. is basically a Queen tribute band. btw, I notice they're nominated for a best new artist Grammy, even though my favorite song of theirs is "All the Pretty Grils" from an older album. Oh well, last year Bon Iver won for their second album.

The Black Keys are nominated all over the place, and their music clearlly hearkens back to previous generations. I'm not sure where Mumford and Sons fit into the conversation, but their stuff is quality.

fwiw, I've talked to a lot of kids lately and discovered that while middle-schoolers tend to be completely into the hip-hop artist of the week, older teens are branching out and often seem to be developing more sophisticated tastes.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Yeah, some of the newer successful artists are incorporating elements of older styles in their music. You hear some of that with Adele as well, and she's kind of up there as far as popularity goes at the moment.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

When I listen to the R&B station now a days I am transported to a stripper bar for each song. Lovely.

Aside from that, I really do enjoy hearing some of the new sounds coming from the digitized productions, especially on R&B channels. I think most of the songs are produced to really sound great cranked up in a car. The lyrics are jarring, but the sounds are often really amazing. That goes for all top 40 as well. Try it out in your car and really loud. Then listen for what the producer is trying to do with the song. The producer is most certainly the one responsible for any creative aspect of top 40 stuff. Their puppets get all the credit and rarely have a smidgeon of input. Ignore the puppets.

Not so much for Johnny Cash. Put Johnny Cash on your record player and start finishing off some beers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Not every song is about screwing...

Nirvana-Lithium Lyrics

Circa 1990

Katy Perry-Last Friday Night

There definitely more blatantly put into today's lyrics. Last Friday night, I have a stranger in my bed, I had a threesome? I mean, sure songs have always been to some degree sexual in some nature..but today's lyrics just go full frontal with no shame at all..and honestly that's all I ever feel like I hear..songs about love, or songs about banging..What happened to music like Bob Dylan, or Johnny Cash, music where there was more variety than just singing about some hot guy/hot girl that they met at the bar and want to screw?

I could post the lyrics to 2 Live Crew's 1989 hit "Me So Horny" but then I'd get banned.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I am sure I am wrong but there has to be some kid who will get into Led Zepplin, Thin Lizzy, Nirvarna, Soundgarden, MC5, the Beatles, the Who, Neil Young and The Clash and he/she will form a band and record an album that takes all of his/her influences and regurgitates it into some form of rock that hits and becomes popular. The Hip-hop, auto tune, drum machine music will become tired and a rock sound will be the in thing again. Musical genre's come and go and hopefully rock becomes cool again.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I am sure I am wrong but there has to be some kid who will get into Led Zepplin, Thin Lizzy, Nirvarna, Soundgarden, MC5, the Beatles, the Who, Neil Young and The Clash and he/she will form a band and record an album that takes all of his/her influences and regurgitates it into some form of rock that hits and becomes popular. The Hip-hop, auto tune, drum machine music will become tired and a rock sound will be the in thing again. Musical genre's come and go and hopefully rock becomes cool again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOlU_R8TFo
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Call me dim, but I find Phineas and Ferb and Spongebob to be some pretty good stuff. Then again, I kind of dug that trucker music back in fourth grade, too.
    To be honest, thats the one show I actually don't mind watching. Because it's actually feels the closest to the old style of "slightly educational" but still entertaining as the older cartoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Where dos Tom T Hall fall in this thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcIJew-ePOQ
    that's a damn good question, 'cause for 20+ years i've heard "Old Dogs, and Children, and Watermelon Wine" and i still have trouble not breaking down and crying when i hear it; and it's gotten worse since i've become a (relatively) new father.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm36X3ZapLg

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    There's nothing wrong with hip hop or drum machines. They have their place in music.

It's not a genre problem, it's a quality problem. Though honestly, I don't think traditional sounding rock music will ever take the mainstream back over (as long as that idea continues to last, which won't be long.)

Turn Off Ads?