Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: You can resurrect only one of these singers..who do you choose?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Cobain

9 16.07%
  • Jimmy Hendrix

10 17.86%
  • Jim Morrison

6 10.71%
  • Freddy Mercury

4 7.14%
  • John Lennon

18 32.14%
  • None of these

16 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: A genie gives you the chance to resurrect a singer that died to soon

Re: A genie gives you the chance to resurrect a singer that died to soon

Steve Marriott a man arguably as talented as some of the above mentioned . who also might have changed rock history.

After the departure of Mick Taylor in 1975 from the Rolling Stones, Marriott was considered as his replacement; however, Mick Jagger allegedly blocked the move after Marriott upstaged him during the audition. According to Ronnie Wood in his autobiography Ronnie, Marriott was Richards' first choice to replace Mick Taylor.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Steve Marriott a man arguably as talented as some of the above mentioned . who also might have changed rock history.

After the departure of Mick Taylor in 1975 from the Rolling Stones, Marriott was considered as his replacement; however, Mick Jagger allegedly blocked the move after Marriott upstaged him during the audition. According to Ronnie Wood in his autobiography Ronnie, Marriott was Richards' first choice to replace Mick Taylor.

Steve Marriott is/was seriously overlooked -- I say overlooked (rather than underrated) because Steve's peers were fully aware of his talents.

You must be a mind-reader. I was actually going to a feature a lost Humble Pie Rock hit in my next AOR thread entry, but this is as good of a place as any.

Humble Pie - Fool For A Pretty Face (Hurt By Love) (1980)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H987w5NQ6Sk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Back in the day, I saw a twin bill of Humble Pie and Ten Years After. Humble Pie was big with their Fillmore album and TYA was still riding the Woodstock I'm Goin' Home jam.

But it wasn't fun. Banks of Marshall amps turned all the way up, shrieking singing, and endless guitar jams. My ears rang for 2 days. Not to mention my date was 'luded up and puked all night.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I obviously don't pay enough attention; I didn't realize Marriott was dead. nex thing you know, somebody will tell me John Entwhistle is no longer with us.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

John Lennon. His songwriting was amazing, and his voice was smooth and magnificent. I loved almost every song he wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    His 10 minutes of fame were already up.
    10 minutes? Seriously? Let me educate you...

108 Top 100 Hits
    80 Top 40 hits
    126 albums in the Billboard Top 200 album chart
    80 Gold Albums (at least 500,000 sold) #2? Streisand with 40.
    43 Platinum albums (at least 1,000,000 sold) #2? The Beatles with 33
    19 Multi-Platinum albums

All Time Top Selling Artists (Albums)

1. The Beatles (177 million)
    2. Elvis (134.5 million)
    3. Garth Brooks (128 million)
    4. Led Zeppelin (111.5 million)
    5. The Eagles (100 million)

Springsteen and Madonna together haven't sold as many as Elvis has.

And as far as his continuing popularity in the years before his death his songs on the pop charts were still making the Top 20 but his pop career was not what it once was. However, his career as a viable country singer was very strong. He had a #1 country hit the year before his death with "Moody Blue" and another that went to #6 that year. So the success was still there 22 years after he first appeared on the scene.

10 minutes of fame, my arse.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-20-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    10 minutes? Seriously? Let me educate you...

108 Top 100 Hits
    80 Top 40 hits
    126 albums in the Billboard Top 200 album chart
    80 Gold Albums (at least 500,000 sold) #2? Streisand with 40.
    43 Platinum albums (at least 1,000,000 sold) #2? The Beatles with 33
    19 Multi-Platinum albums

All Time Top Selling Artists (Albums)

1. The Beatles (177 million)
    2. Elvis (134.5 million)
    3. Garth Brooks (128 million)
    4. Led Zeppelin (111.5 million)
    5. The Eagles (100 million)

Springsteen and Madonna together haven't sold as many as Elvis has.

And as far as his continuing popularity in the years before his death his songs on the pop charts were still making the Top 20 but his pop career was not what it once was. However, his career as a viable country singer was very strong. He had a #1 country hit the year before his death with "Moody Blue" and another that went to #6 that year. So the success was still there 22 years after he first appeared on the scene.

10 minutes of fame, my arse.
    Yeah, that was an egregiously ignorant statement. I'm not even an Elvis fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Final Cut is my second- or third-favorite Pink Floyd album. To my amazement, I absolutely love it.
    So do I. It was pretty much from the Wall sessions. Gilmore, whose work was pretty limited on this album, and Richard Wright was gone, didn't care much for it. He basically said - "If they weren't good enough for The Wall, then why are they good enough now?".

But I do love the album.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-14-2013 at 05:41 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Salukifan2

Jim Croce and otis redding

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Zevon's a good one. Have to love a guy who comes up with a song called "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner."
    I would vote for Zevon. Everytime I hear his music, I can't believe how fresh it still sounds. I'm happy that I got to see him once.
    Where we gonna go?

A scary and Creepy thing about Kurt Cobain. I was watching a VH1 special and apparently Cobain told a friend, while they were both around the age of 13 that his plan was to become a famous rocker and take his life at a young age.

Also found a link of 10 things you didnt know about him, with this being one.
    http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/10...ut-kurt-cobain

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Ian Curtis and D Boon must be mentioned. Both Joy Division and the Minutemen were on the ascendancy when they died.
    Gram Parsons and Chris Bell are immortals.
    I'm back in the Gram Parsons hole I fall into every few years, and I came back to this thread just to make sure he was mentioned.

He's one that really, really gets to me. His career -- even with quite a bit of its peak time arguably wasted -- does stand complete as it is. Part of that is his body of work, and part of it is just the unbelievable reach he had within music in terms of his influence. I do truly believe that country as a genre would not have touched rock in the same way it did without him, from the Byrds to the Stones all the way down to Wilco and beyond. We might have Taylor Swift and that's it, in which case I might have just never cared about music as an entire art form. (But maybe there would be no Taylor Swift without Gram Parsons either, so thanks for that, Gram.)

So it's hard to say that he died too soon in that sense, I guess, and he is totally immortal that way. But man, certain songs of his I listen to, I just feel like his voice alone could have sustained a very long career, and his songwriting would only have kept evolving. There are very few people who are able to sing with the quality and tone and just purity that he had and still make it sound somehow like he's just talking to you. Country by default almost has to have an affect to the vocal quality of it, and he did have that twang, but it never sounded affected or put on at all. That kind of voice and it just never even sounded like he was trying (he probably wasn't). I don't think people realize how rare that is. That would have just had increasingly mass appeal and substance over decades.

I also hate all of the things associated with his death and its weird freaking aftermath, because I feel like it makes people so prone to romanticizing what was a clearly a very troubled and unhealthy person who also consciously made some very bad choices -- while people also sometime discount a lot of the joy he brought to his work, which was another thing that set him apart. All of that is natural, I guess, but sometimes I feel like it overshadows the music itself, which is just peerless, i think. There is nothing like it. That death, it happened way before I was born, but it is one that keeps me up at night.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-20-2013),Revering4Blue (03-20-2013)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Jim Croce and otis redding
    I was just listening to Croce and the thing that always gets me is how old he looked for his age. Can you imagine what he would look like today if he was still kicking?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm back in the Gram Parsons hole I fall into every few years, and I came back to this thread just to make sure he was mentioned.

He's one that really, really gets to me. His career -- even with quite a bit of its peak time arguably wasted -- does stand complete as it is. Part of that is his body of work, and part of it is just the unbelievable reach he had within music in terms of his influence. I do truly believe that country as a genre would not have touched rock in the same way it did without him, from the Byrds to the Stones all the way down to Wilco and beyond. We might have Taylor Swift and that's it, in which case I might have just never cared about music as an entire art form. (But maybe there would be no Taylor Swift without Gram Parsons either, so thanks for that, Gram.)

So it's hard to say that he died too soon in that sense, I guess, and he is totally immortal that way. But man, certain songs of his I listen to, I just feel like his voice alone could have sustained a very long career, and his songwriting would only have kept evolving. There are very few people who are able to sing with the quality and tone and just purity that he had and still make it sound somehow like he's just talking to you. Country by default almost has to have an affect to the vocal quality of it, and he did have that twang, but it never sounded affected or put on at all. That kind of voice and it just never even sounded like he was trying (he probably wasn't). I don't think people realize how rare that is. That would have just had increasingly mass appeal and substance over decades.

I also hate all of the things associated with his death and its weird freaking aftermath, because I feel like it makes people so prone to romanticizing what was a clearly a very troubled and unhealthy person who also consciously made some very bad choices -- while people also sometime discount a lot of the joy he brought to his work, which was another thing that set him apart. All of that is natural, I guess, but sometimes I feel like it overshadows the music itself, which is just peerless, i think. There is nothing like it. That death, it happened way before I was born, but it is one that keeps me up at night.

I was a huge Flying Burrito Brothers and Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" era fan back in the day. Used to put my ponytail up in my hat and stand at the back of country music bars. Hippies got the severe skunk eye back then.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I was a huge Flying Burrito Brothers and Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" era fan back in the day. Used to put my ponytail up in my hat and stand at the back of country music bars. Hippies got the severe skunk eye back then.
    Oh, I would have loved you, Roy.

That first Flying Burrito Brothers album is still so good. That whole second side, especially both the Hot Burritos, the songs are just so strong structurally and so well done. Gram's voice, the pedal steel guitar...I don't know the second album as well, but that first one is almost perfect.

edit: For the record, I'm pretty sure that hearing Parsons sing "I'm your toy, I'm your old boy, and I don't want no one but you to love me" at an impressionable age set me back on the healthy relationship track by at least 10 years.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?