Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: You can resurrect only one of these singers..who do you choose?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Cobain

9 16.07%
  • Jimmy Hendrix

10 17.86%
  • Jim Morrison

6 10.71%
  • Freddy Mercury

4 7.14%
  • John Lennon

18 32.14%
  • None of these

16 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: A genie gives you the chance to resurrect a singer that died to soon

Re: A genie gives you the chance to resurrect a singer that died to soon

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Oh, I would have loved you, Roy.

That first Flying Burrito Brothers album is still so good. That whole second side, especially both the Hot Burritos, the songs are just so strong structurally and so well done. Gram's voice, the pedal steel guitar...I don't know the second album as well, but that first one is almost perfect.

edit: For the record, I'm pretty sure that hearing Parsons sing "I'm your toy, I'm your old boy, and I don't want no one but you to love me" at an impressionable age set me back on the healthy relationship track by at least 10 years.
    I agree with you about Parson's influence, however I believe that even without him the country twang sound would have found rock n roll sooner or later, Willie's Red Headed Stranger in itself was likely the biggest example of the stark country sound without the strings that prominent of that era or the Hee Haw hokum that was in the business... but I digress.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I was a huge Flying Burrito Brothers and Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" era fan back in the day. Used to put my ponytail up in my hat and stand at the back of country music bars. Hippies got the severe skunk eye back then.
    Ya think?

I went as far as I could and when I stopped the car
    It was right in front of this little bar
    Kind of a red-neck lookin joint called the Dew Drop Inn

I stuffed my hair up under my hat
    And told the bartender that I had a flat
    And ywould he be kind enough to give me change for a one

There was one thing I was sure proud to see
    There wasn't a soul in the place except for him and me
    He just looked disgusted and pointed toward the telephone

Cant we just have the genie take some (or all) of the current "artists" away ?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I was just listening to Croce and the thing that always gets me is how old he looked for his age. Can you imagine what he would look like today if he was still kicking?
    I always thought the same thing. I was shocked when I learned he was only 30 when he died.

By the way, Sasha Baron Cohen would have to be the choice to play Croce in the biopic.
    Last edited by RichRed; 03-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I agree with you about Parson's influence, however I believe that even without him the country twang sound would have found rock n roll sooner or later, Willie's Red Headed Stranger in itself was likely the biggest example of the stark country sound without the strings that prominent of that era or the Hee Haw hokum that was in the business... but I digress.
    I just think that the Byrds et al. made it so accessible, and it was such a shift from what they were already known for, bringing in people who were following...whatever that had been (groovy music? psychedelia?) Willie Nelson had, and still does have, to a degree, more of a stigma attached to him, deserved or not. I mean, my mom, for example, not being a self-declared country fan, would never listen to Willie Nelson, but she used to play the Byrds for me all the time.

But that's all just my impressions...I wasn't there, I dunno for sure. Certainly Willie is ungodly talented and, in the long run, way more influential than Gram Parsons across the board.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Lennon would've been irrelevant. Yoko ruined him.
    I really liked the Beatles, but Lennon's solo career was pretty disappointing.
    He had a few nice singles, but it IMO, Paul and George had much better solo work post-Beatles.

Honestly, Lennon was already irrelevant when he died.

YEa, I know this thread is a year old
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I just think that the Byrds et al. made it so accessible, and it was such a shift from what they were already known for, bringing in people who were following...whatever that had been (groovy music? psychedelia?) Willie Nelson had, and still does have, to a degree, more of a stigma attached to him, deserved or not. I mean, my mom, for example, not being a self-declared country fan, would never listen to Willie Nelson, but she used to play the Byrds for me all the time.

But that's all just my impressions...I wasn't there, I dunno for sure. Certainly Willie is ungodly talented and, in the long run, way more influential than Gram Parsons across the board.
    Like many things in history, it's difficult to discern what's happening when you're living it in real time. I loved the whole sub-genre of Parsons and Byrds and the FBB (and even further into country like Charlie Rich and Merle Haggard), but like what woy said, there was so much more going on.

Dylan was doing his Nashville Skyline/Blonde on Blonde thing, the Beatles with Let It Be and George Harrisons All Things Must Pass, the Dead's country side and the NRPS spinoff and Commander Cody (go listen to Mama Hated Diesels), Waylon and Willie (Red Headed Strangers is the ultimate), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the Stones could have quite the twang, the Band defined the current Americana, Emmylou and Linda Ronstadt (who I wanted to run away with me and have my babies, god she was gorgeous), the whole Poco/Eagles/Loggins+Messina/Pure Prarie League (saw them many times in Athens) axis, and on and on. Parsons perhaps was the most pure of the genre, but it was all going to happen anyhow.

I regularly rant about modern "country" music saying "this isn't anything new, its just pop with a twang and NASCAR lyrics" and saying "that ain't real country" and play my old Merle and Johnny and Dolly and Hank and whoever records. Your note a a few back is what I say all the damn time.

(oh, and I would have broken your heart back then... I was a testosterone-ridden early 20's dope and didn't have the faintest idea what I was doing).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

marcshoe (03-22-2013),Revering4Blue (03-22-2013),vaticanplum (03-24-2013)

Dennis Wilson, for me. He had more to offer than most realized. Too bad drugs and alcohol took their toll.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Dennis Wilson, for me. He had more to offer than most realized. Too bad drugs and alcohol took their toll.
    Yep he was just finding his wings

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I always thought the same thing. I was shocked when I learned he was only 30 when he died.

I always thought he looked like Groucho Marx LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I really liked the Beatles, but Lennon's solo career was pretty disappointing.
    He had a few nice singles, but it IMO, Paul and George had much better solo work post-Beatles.

Honestly, Lennon was already irrelevant when he died.
    I respect your opinion RR, and while it may be true that Lennon, as far as his solo career went, didn't have the commercial success of McCartney and Harrison, and even Ringo, is that really the best way to measure the success of an artist? Even an ex-Beatle? IMO, Lennon wasn't about writing "pop hits", which was more MCartney's forte. Both of their solo careers showed how much they needed each other to bounce off of and smooth the "rough edges". They both tried to use their wives to be replace that collaboration they had, and it didn't work.

John wanted everyone to love, understand, and accept Yoko. from an artistic perspective, like he did, and it wasn't going to happen. My feeling was always - "You married her, you live with her, fine, but don't expect me to like her crap." She was an irritant.

But I really enjoyed a lot of Lennon's solo music, especially his first solo album "Plastic Ono Band", because I looked at John's music on a much deeper, more complex, level then I did Paul's. If I was in the mood for a pop song (ditty) I listen to Paul. Lennon's music was more personal, soul-bearing (wrenching) to me.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-30-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Okay, so technically he wasn't a "singer".
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Kurt Stillwell Fan hairmetalfreek's Avatar

Hendrix, but not because of his singing. His career was still on the rise and was an amazing guitar player. All the others had their best years behind them, in some cases far behind them.

Something was floating around Facebook that I found hilarious.
    "If Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne were drowning and you only had time to save one.....What type of sandwich would you make?"

Turn Off Ads?