Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former Reds Pitcher, Frank Pastore Dies

Re: Former Reds Pitcher, Frank Pastore Dies

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/ch...r0XX8T7qJtT.99

I don't remember that. When did that happen?
    I do not recall that but I do know he missed some time in 1980 after a great start....with an injury. He was also forced to go 9 a few times, when the bullpen was bringing gasoline to the mound during May or June....and blowing games.
    He went 9 against STL while giving up 5 runs and probably throwing well over 120 pitches.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I do not recall that but I do know he missed some time in 1980 after a great start....with an injury. He was also forced to go 9 a few times, when the bullpen was bringing gasoline to the mound during May or June....and blowing games.
    He went 9 against STL while giving up 5 runs and probably throwing well over 120 pitches.
    Yeah, I think we'd remember a shattered elbow. I don't recall his career falling short due to injury

In 1979, Frank came to spring training and basically, out of nowhere, made the ballclub as a 21-year-old. At that time, it was very uncommon for a pitcher to make the Reds team without proving himself in Triple-A, and Frank had spent almost all of 1978 in Double-A. He started that season in the bullpen and struggled, went back to Indianapolis, and rejoined the Reds in late July as a starter. He had a tremendous stretch in August and September and by the time the playoffs began, he was the Reds Game 2 starter as a rookie.

As others recall, on opening day, 1980, Frank was a last minute emergency replacement for Tom Seaver and threw a three-hit shutout against the Braves. In his second start, he threw another complete game victory, allowing just one run. The Reds were 8-0 at that point. Pastore's fourth start of the season was his third complete game victory. How about coming out of spring training with three complete games in your first four starts?

He started that year by going 10-4 with seven complete games in 16 starts and was a candidate for the all-star game, but was not selected. He finished the season at 13-7, 3.27, completing nine of 27 starts. He was a frequent guest of Joe Nuxhall on Reds on Radio, either pre-game or the post-game Star of the Game show (they used to interview a player after every game) and was always great with the media, very well-spoken.

He went on to spend the next five years with the Reds and finished his career with the Twins in 1986.

The Reds in Pastore's early years were still a very strong club. They won the division in 1979 and of course, as many know, finished 1981 with the best record in baseball but failed to make the playoffs because of that season's unique split-season format caused by the strike. Pastore was part of a young group of starting pitchers that all showed tremendous potential as big leaguers prior to reaching age 25. Along with Pastore, Mario Soto, Mike LaCoss, Paul Moskau, Charlie Leibrandt, Bruce Berenyi, and Joe Price, you had a group of terrific young early 20's arms all pretty much at the same time, but unfortunately, only Soto really blossomed with the Reds (though some of those guys had big years after leaving the Reds).

Frank was certainly a big name in Reds history from roughly three decades ago. You did not hear much about him after his playing days, probably because of his dedication to his new career. Always came across as a very classy gentleman. Very sad news.

Rest in peace, Frank Pastore.
    Last edited by redsof72; 12-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Here is a link I found on youtube about Frank talking about the line drive off of Steve Sax's bat that hit him in his elbow. The video is grainy, but it shows video footage. Starts around the 2:52 mark in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU5XcA342Yw

Thanks for sharing that video. God is amazing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Thanks for sharing that video. God is amazing.
    I remember seeing that video when it aired.

I worked for the same broadcast company that Frank worked for but in Columbus.

On one occasion I just HAD to call out to KKLA and leave a message for Frank to let him know that I never dreamed in a million years we would be "teammates"...a couple days later he returned the call and left me a message that said "glad to have you on the winning side..."

That was our only interaction but now I am more grateful than before to have had it.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Haunted by walks

I remember him being called "Mr Goodwrench" because he was a protege of Seaver and was always talking about his mechanics. A smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I remember him being called "Mr Goodwrench" because he was a protege of Seaver and was always talking about his mechanics. A smart guy.
    That's what I remember, too. In fact, I had a theory that Frank was maybe too smart and was thinking too much, hence why his numbers never lived up to his first season.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Frank always thought he had it figured out and was gonna be better his next start, but usually he didn't, but I did meet him in Spring Training one year in 83 or 84 and he was a super guy and down to earth to talk to.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?