Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/18

Birthdays: 12/18

Latos notwithstanding, birthdays march on!

Reds:

Jose Acevedo (34) -One of those pitchers who looked good until you actually pitched him.

Joe Randa (42) -Nicknamed "The Joker" for his perpetual smile, he had a terrific year at third for the 2005 Reds.

Others:

Steve Hovley (66) -Now working as a plumber in California, he has two kids and two grandkids. For those of his who know him from Ball Four, it's difficult to imagine him with grandkids.

Zoilo Versalles - The 1965 MVP, and deservedly so. His 1961 Topps card lists him as "Zorro" Versalles. His post baseball career was sad; he was unable to find work due to the language barrier and a back ailment; he was finally forced to sell his MVP trophy and his World Series and All-Star awards and live on welfare and disability. He died young. Sorry to bum you out this morning...

Bill Skowron (81) -Nicnamed "Moose", not because he was a big guy but because when he was a kid his grandfather gave him a bad haircut that his friends said made him look like Mussolini.

Ty Cobb -What can I say about this guy? The more I researched him the more I realize that I want to know a LOT more about him. I need to read his autobiography, or else the Alexander biography of him. Anybody recommend either?

One story: In 1940, Cobb went into a liquor store and realized that the clerk there was Shoeless Joe Jackson. Joe didn't make any sign that he recognized Cobb; so after the transaction was done, Ty said, "Joe what's the matter- don't you know me?". And joe replied "Sure, I know you Ty. but I wasn't sure you wanted to know me. Lots of the guys don't."
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 12/18

A couple of comments here:

chico's opening line obviously refers to the fact that the Mat Latos deal last year happened on December 17.

Also, Bill Skowron passed away on April 27, 2012.

Re: Birthdays: 12/18

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    [I]Ty Cobb -What can I say about this guy? The more I researched him the more I realize that I want to know a LOT more about him. I need to read his autobiography, or else the Alexander biography of him. Anybody recommend either?

One story: In 1940, Cobb went into a liquor store and realized that the clerk there was Shoeless Joe Jackson. Joe didn't make any sign that he recognized Cobb; so after the transaction was done, Ty said, "Joe what's the matter- don't you know me?". And joe replied "Sure, I know you Ty. but I wasn't sure you wanted to know me. Lots of the guys don't."
    I was a student in Charles Alexander's "History of Baseball" (HIST 319) course at Ohio University in 1991. We didn't read the Ty Cobb biography, but we did read his biography of John McGraw. It was an outstanding course--one of my favorites. Dr. Alexander treated it as a legitimate junior-level history course, so several students who didn't take it seriously washed out. But if you were prepared the rigor of a 300-level course, the subject matter was awesome!
    I have been told that the course has now been split into two (319A and 319B?).

Dr. Alexander was also a consultant/contributor for the Ken Burns documentary in 1994.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?