Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get Andrew McCutchen?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: What would it take to get Andrew McCutchen?

Bowie Kuhn would reject that trade, saying it would destroy the competitive balance in the NL.
    sorry we're boring

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Ummmm.... No. Not even close.
    Bruce's contract looks like an extreme bargain right now, and that's without Bruce making any large leap forward.

As Homer has said, Stanton would want much more than that for the comparable service time years. Salaries have risen since Bruce signed his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    The Reds could get McCutchen by trading hope and a prayer throwing in a pile of pixie dust to be named later. There is 0% chance the Pirates make a deal to a divisional rival for their best player.
    My thinking is, why Cutch? Since we are playing in fantasy land, why not shoot for Longoria? Or Tulo? Hey Detroit, can we get Verlander?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    My thinking is, why Cutch? Since we are playing in fantasy land, why not shoot for Longoria? Or Tulo? Hey Detroit, can we get Verlander?
    Heck, if we're going down that road, why not sell the farm for Mike Trout?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

While the overall proposal is far-fetched, the idea was planted by a real situation. Namely, the Pirates making Joel Hanrahan available.

Everytime the Pirates payroll is going to increase $5M they contemplate unloading someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    While the overall proposal is far-fetched, the idea was planted by a real situation. Namely, the Pirates making Joel Hanrahan available.

Everytime the Pirates payroll is going to increase $5M they contemplate unloading someone.
    Trading off a closer who is getting expensive is a lot different then trading off the franchise player.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Trading off a closer who is getting expensive is a lot different then trading off the franchise player.
    ......thus my saying "this is all in fun".......and........"they'd have to be overwhelmed"......and........."far-fetched".......and........

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hanrahan is trending downwards, is one year from FA, and the Pirates could collect some decent pieces for him.

There is big difference between making a smart baseball move and trading your franchise player.

If we're being real about it, if the Pirates were to put McCutchen on the trade block, the Reds would probably be out maneuvered by clubs with better prospects or the Reds would have to give up so much of their farm that it would be a detriment to the Reds future to give up all those chips.

McCutchen is one of the best deals in baseball under his current contract. For better or worse, the Pirates are not in rebuilding mode and won't pretend to be so anytime soon, because if they even pretend to tease at contending their fans throw them gobs of money. They will never trade him.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Heck, if we're going down that road, why not sell the farm for Mike Trout?
    You've sold me. Anyone have the Angels number?

I want no part of McCutcheon. I like him better as an opposing player.

He's in Jim Edmonds/Chris Carpenter territory.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I want no part of McCutcheon. I like him better as an opposing player.

He's in Jim Edmonds/Chris Carpenter territory.
    I think you're the only one here. The guy could be the biggest jerk in the world but I'll take talent every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'm pretty sure people in the Reds Zone would love Chris Carpenter pitching on the Reds in his prime.

McCutchen is not a jerk. that run-in with the Reds is the only indication I've ever seen him give of immaturity and hot-headedness. I think he knew he was caving under pressure and had trouble handling it. He is generally regarded as a good-natured leader with a strong head on his shoulders. Really an affable guy and very well-loved. He's probably the Pirates' equivalent of Joey Votto in all senses.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    McCutchen is not a jerk. that run-in with the Reds is the only indication I've ever seen him give of immaturity and hot-headedness. I think he knew he was caving under pressure and had trouble handling it. He is generally regarded as a good-natured leader with a strong head on his shoulders. Really an affable guy and very well-loved. He's probably the Pirates' equivalent of Joey Votto in all senses.
    I don't find him to be a jerk at all.

He's just the type of guy I'd rather the Reds play against.

It's hard to explain, but it just would not seem right to see him in a reds uniform.

To put it more succinctly, I see him as a rival and I'd like him to remain as such.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?