Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty "pretty much done" winter shopping, looking for left handed reliever still

Jocketty "pretty much done" winter shopping, looking for left handed reliever still

In an interview he said he's done with trading/aquiring for now, but is still hunting for a left handed reliever for the bullpen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jocketty "pretty much done" winter shopping, looking for left handed reliever sti

Sounds right to me. Right now, Marshall is the only lefty slated to be in the pen if they try to move Chapman to the rotation, and Chapman was forced to stay in the pen last spring training after Bray got injured. I'm sure Walt would rather not have a repeat of that situation. Otherwise, we've got our 25 man roster pretty much set.

Re: Jocketty "pretty much done" winter shopping, looking for left handed reliever sti

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Sounds right to me. Right now, Marshall is the only lefty slated to be in the pen if they try to move Chapman to the rotation, and Chapman was forced to stay in the pen last spring training after Bray got injured. I'm sure Walt would rather not have a repeat of that situation. Otherwise, we've got our 25 man roster pretty much set.
    I think this is no excuse by Walt to not start chapman last year. I dont believe you compromise his role b/c of someone like bray or anyone.

Chapman relieved last year more because of Madsen's injury, not Bray's.

I think it was more the injury to Madson that put Chapman back in the pen last year. I think the Reds need to at least try Chapman in the rotation this year. He wants to start and has once in a generation type of talent. He can always be moved backs to the bullpen if he fails. It's hard not to be excited about the possibility of Cueto, Latos, and Chapman headlining a dominant Reds rotation.

Realistically, it was both of them. Nobody expects to have two of their bullpen lefties go down before the season even begins, including the closer. Unless they wanted to delve deep into AAA righty fodder, they needed an answer, and Chapman was the best they had.

Wish Walt could have got the Randy Choate deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Realistically, it was both of them. Nobody expects to have two of their bullpen lefties go down before the season even begins, including the closer. Unless they wanted to delve deep into AAA righty fodder, they needed an answer, and Chapman was the best they had.
    +1
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Leake, Reliever, and prospect for Porcello and Coke?

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    Leake, Reliever, and prospect for Porcello and Coke?
    I like your dreaming but there is no way the Tigers get rid of Coke when they are looking for a closer / late game relief as well. Not to mention Coke and Porcello are arb. elgible and probably going to make 4 or 5 Million between the two, which is more than we could afford for our payroll after the ludwick signings.
    Someone of Coke's caliber as a lefty would be a dream scenario because of his ability, but not realistic for the Reds this year.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

I agree only move I would make would be to get one more LHP in bullpen. Looking at candidates. Maybe Will Ohman who had a 1.05 Whip but high ERA. Could be a good buy low fit. Would rather try cheap free agent route than trade for one.

Edit; well apparently they signed him to louisville last season so nevermind haha
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 12-14-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Yankees just designated LH RP Josh Spence, he's only 24, good numbers at MLB level, 40 IP so far, strike out guy.. Snatch him up, only problem is, who goes from the 40 man when its full. Plus Rolen is coming back.

I believe our left handed reliever could end up being an internal selection and my gut feeling is that it will be minor leaguer Chris Manno. But I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Too bad they traded that guy for a bottom of the barrel utility infielder.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tony Cingrani in the bullpen come opening day. He looked pretty good in his short stay with the Reds last season.

Turn Off Ads?