Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thought: Rex Ryan as Bengals Defensive Coordinator?

Thought: Rex Ryan as Bengals Defensive Coordinator?

I didn't want to put this in the current Bengals discussion thread as I am personally enjoying the playoff scenario/Steelers week talk and didn't want to derail that conversation, so here it is...

While watching First Take over my lunch hour today, a thought crossed my mind.

Fast forward two months....

1) It seems likely that this will be the year for Mike Zimmer to land a head coaching job somewhere as he has flirted with it the past two off seasons and 2) It seems highly likely that Rex Ryan will be fired as head coach of the Jets.

Rex Ryan is one of the best defensive minds in the history of the game. It is highly unlikely he will land another head coaching job in the near future. He and Marvin have a prior connection. There is a lot of talent to work with in Cincinnati.

A lot of "what ifs" in play here, I know....it's purely hypothetical. But should everything work out as I have layed out would Ryan in Cincinnati work and would you have interest in this scenario?

Discuss.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thought: Rex Ryan as Bengals Defensive Coordinator?

I'd be happy to have him as DC if that's what he wanted and therein lies the problem. I don't see him wanting to come to this small area after being from and center of the Big Apple. He'd want to go to ESPN before he'd come here

Actually I wouldn't mind it. I think Rex can be a good head coach in the league. I think he has to learn from his first job as Jets coach. You can be bold, brash, arrogant, loud, etc. if your winning, but the second you don't people aren't going to cut you any slack. The main problem with Rex and the Jets is the failure to develop Sanchez. If Sanchez were a slightly below average QB the Jets in all likelihood would be a playoff team.

That said as a purely defensive coordinator I wouldn't mind Rex. If he doesn't have to focus on making offensive personal decisions he could be very good. He (and the Jets GM) have not been able to assemble any resemblance of an offense. FWIW I think his idiot brother Rob is worse than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd be happy to have him as DC if that's what he wanted and therein lies the problem. I don't see him wanting to come to this small area after being from and center of the Big Apple. He'd want to go to ESPN before he'd come here
    This. Also, while I think Ryan is a pretty good DC, the scheme he runs is very different than the one Zimmer runs. I don't know if that would be a good fit or not.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

My feeling is that he'd want to go a place where the head coach is at a high risk of being fired. If he does that, he'd obviously be the first in line to take over. Seeing as how Marvin's job is fairly secure--at least a lot more so than many of the other head coaches'--I think Ryan would have more tempting offers out there. Speaking of which, the topic of money always comes up with Mike Brown at the helm, and I don't see Brown spending the extra millions to lure a big name like Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    My feeling is that he'd want to go a place where the head coach is at a high risk of being fired. If he does that, he'd obviously be the first in line to take over. Seeing as how Marvin's job is fairly secure--at least a lot more so than many of the other head coaches'--I think Ryan would have more tempting offers out there. Speaking of which, the topic of money always comes up with Mike Brown at the helm, and I don't see Brown spending the extra millions to lure a big name like Ryan.
    Do coordinators actually make millions?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I was under the assumption the contract would be a multi-year deal. But anyway, Marvin Lewis became the first million-dollar defensive coordinator when he joined the Redskins. But typically, they're six-figure salaries on a yearly basis that add up to a couple million.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I could see Ryan getting a million plus as a coordinator; he just won't get paid that here.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Zimmer I believe went over the million mark either last season or the season beofre when his contract was up. So Mike Brown is changing slowly in that regard. However Ryan is not a fit here for the Bengals as he would have to change out a ton of players. If Zimmer leaves after the season to coach Buffalo or another team, I could see Marvin promoting from within.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?