Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Reds MVP from 2015-2020?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joey Votto

23 69.70%
  • Jay Bruce

6 18.18%
  • Todd Frazier

0 0%
  • Billy Hamilton

3 9.09%
  • One of the Big Three SP (Latos, Cueto, Bailey - list below)

0 0%
  • Aroldis Chapman

0 0%
  • Robert Stephenson

0 0%
  • A Minor Leaguer Not Currently Listed (list below)

0 0%
  • Someone who is not currently in the organization

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the Reds MVP in the second half of the decade?

Who will be the Reds MVP in the second half of the decade?

Because there is little/nothing to speculate about for the rest of this offseason, I thought I'd throw out a random question:

Who will be the most important/biggest impact Red from 2015-2020?

The obvious answer is Joey Votto, as he is the only player currently signed for that entire period of time (let alone the best current player). But do you think he will be the most important?

Will one of the pitchers like Latos, Chapman, or even Stephenson win a Cy Young and surpass Votto as the MVP of the team over that period of time?

Will Jay Bruce regain what made him a better prospect than Votto, and outshine him in the second half of the decade? Will he even be in Cincinnati then?

Perhaps Todd Frazier becomes the cornerstone of the organization at the hot corner by building off of his rookie year success?

Will Billy Hamilton revolutionize the game in such a way that he becomes everyone's favorite player?

Will a current minor leaguer other than Stephenson and Hamilton vault to the top of the organizational food chain?

Will it be someone not currently in the organization?

Fire away...
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will be the Reds MVP in the second half of the decade?

I don't see anyone in the Reds system or on the current team that will surpass Votto. Billy Hamilton might become a legit player but he will not have the kind of power or OBP. that Votto has. Unless the Reds get a stud in free agency, Votto is the clear choice in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't see anyone in the Reds system or on the current team that will surpass Votto. Billy Hamilton might become a legit player but he will not have the kind of power or OBP. that Votto has. Unless the Reds get a stud in free agency, Votto is the clear choice in my opinion.
    Even for those years? You see Votto maintaining that high level of production from age 32-37?

Not saying I disagree. Just want to make sure the question is clear.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Even for those years? You see Votto maintaining that high level of production from age 32-37?

Not saying I disagree. Just want to make sure the question is clear.
    Yes. I see him as one of those players in the mold of a Stan Musial or Ted Williams that will still give teams great production well into their 30's. To me Votto and Pujols are two players I view as this.

In case anyone is curious, I ask in part because I'm wondering who my daughter's favorite player will be when she is old enough to care

(She currently has a reds stuffed monkey that I named Joey for her)
    Go BLUE!!!

I did the easy choice of Votto. Just because he's so good now, and I don't expect age to wear him down as much.

If Billy H is able to OBP .320 or more, he'll probaby be my favorite player of that era (although probably not the most valuable).

I'm going to pick Latos as the 2nd most valuable player. I was really impressed with him last year. Of course, I am expecting Cueto to stay healthy and quietly continue to be one of the best pitchers in the NL.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Hamilton will get on base at a .380 clip, steal 90 bases a season, and allow the team to play seven infielders while covering center and left field.

#boldpredictionthread
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Haha, I really hope you are correct WildcatFan, but even if he does that, I expect Votto to keep his OBP above that for the rest of the decade, and hit for power. His defense won't make as much of an impact as Hamilton's would as an elite centerfielder (if he gets to that level), but I agree with Mike in that Votto will be a Musial/Williams like bat. Those are once in a generation players. I am one of the biggest Bruce fans on this board, but I can't see him being more valuable than Votto. Hamilton could be great, but Votto is already there and should be for the rest of the decade.

As for pitchers, they are different animals and I struggle to compare their worth vs. position players. As a Reds fan for the last 25 years, the early 2000s certainly showed me how good hitting is useless when you have no pitching. That being said, can any of our pitchers impact the second half of the decade the way Votto will? I guess my answer would be yes if Chapman or Stephenson turn into a Pedro Martinez level starter, but the easy money is on Votto, which is who I went with.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Barring a future injury, and a current full recovery from last year's knee injury, I expect Votto to continue on pace for the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Hamilton will get on base at a .380 clip, steal 90 bases a season, and allow the team to play seven infielders while covering center and left field.

#boldpredictionthread
    Votto's the safe pick, but I'm with you. Hamilton could change the way the gets played. Just wait until the numbers guys start calculating the value of his speed. Everybody's going to want to clone him.

Thought about picking Latos, but he needs to sign an extension to get deep into the 2015-2020 window.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I think Latos will win a Cy Young or two with the Reds. He's already a very good pitcher but I see him taking the next step, as early as this season. I love watching him pitch.

I also think Jay Bruce will win a MVP before his career is done.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think Latos will win a Cy Young or two with the Reds. He's already a very good pitcher but I see him taking the next step, as early as this season.
    Totally agreed. He had a year to adjust to the GAB and I suspect the image of Buster Posey hitting a granny off of him in Game 5 is fueling him this winter. He's my pick the NL Cy in 2013.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I have serious doubts if Latos will ever clear the mental hurdle to be a true Cy Young contender. That epic mental meltdown he had in Game 5 is something I haven't forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Yeah, Latos kind of reminds me of Volquez. Not stuff-wise, but mentally. Seems to have all the tools, but I'm not sure he has the mental make-up for what it takes to be great.

But he's still "young" and has a few years before we decide he's done developing.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have serious doubts if Latos will ever clear the mental hurdle to be a true Cy Young contender. That epic mental meltdown he had in Game 5 is something I haven't forgot.
    Yes. He's got a lot to prove still to me. I have no doubt he can annually put up seasons like last season, but as for Cy Young stuff, he has to show a little more.

I think he can do it, but he does have to prove it first. He was nails for that game but the wheels came off after a few bad calls.

Turn Off Ads?