Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ode to the bad player

Re: Ode to the bad player

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    So I need help. Who was that pitcher who was lights out in Spring Training several years ago, but when the season rolled around, he couldn't retire a batter. For some reason Del Resario is in my mind, but I am not sure that is correct.

Help?
    Josias Manzanillo

His nephew, Jerry Gil, became a Red, too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jimmy Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Come on guys im dissapointed in you. Nobody said Drew Stubbs so thats my pick b/c he absolutely drove me up the wall.He has all the talent in the world and don't know how to use it correctly.
    The OP asked this question.

I'm not talking about a frustrating player that has loads of talent but isn't living up to it. I'm talking about the players that you wonder why they're up at the major league level to begin with. The kind of player where not only you laugh at how bad they are but you kind of feel sorry for him.

Stubbs sucked in alot of ways but his sucktitude doesn't qualify for the question above.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The OP asked this question.

I'm not talking about a frustrating player that has loads of talent but isn't living up to it. I'm talking about the players that you wonder why they're up at the major league level to begin with. The kind of player where not only you laugh at how bad they are but you kind of feel sorry for him.

Stubbs sucked in alot of ways but his sucktitude doesn't qualify for the question above.
    I agree with you to a centin extent but he year by year should have improved over each year and he did'nt.He got worse imo and thats why he was so frustrating.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

I'm gathering from the conversation so far that the true "bad ballplayer" has to have absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. One-dimensional contributors don't qualify in that sense, since they do have that one thing they can give the team. Exhibit A is Juan Castro -- who doesn't make the list since he he did have one redeeming quality: that famous sure-handedness.

Anyway, here's a list of names for your consideration (hat tip to this site):

Wily Mo Pena
    Eric Milton
    Willy Taveras
    Jeff Francoeur
    Bob Uecker
    Billy Beane
    Jose Lind
    John Rocker
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Kevin Maas
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Marv Throneberry was the worst player on the worst team of all time (62 Mets).
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Oh, and Tommy Lasorda had a 6.48 ERA over three seasons. It doesn't get much worse than that.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Curtis Goodwin
    Phil Dumatrait
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Drew Stubbs. haha just kidding but what about Pete Rose Jr.? Nothing close to his father but they did manage to have a combined 4,258 hits.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

This site came up with nice list, IMO. Even some 19th century guys.

http://jimjividen.blogspot.com/2009/...yers-ever.html

Plus some guys I remember, like Jesus Alou, Ken Reitz, Craig Paquette, Dan Meyer and Doug Flynn. I don't remember them being that bad, but apparently they were.

Kevin Jarvis pitched terribly for 10 teams in 12 years, starting with our REDs.
    Lifetime 6.03 ERA. WAR -5.4.
    Dude was bad.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Kevin Maas
    Kevin Maas posted an OPS+ of 107 over 5 years.

He was a poor fielder but an above average hitter.

Surely there were worse players than him in the majors, considering the majority of major league players were wrose hitters than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm 47 years old. I don't remember anything much before about '72 or '73. What he did with Houston was before my time.

What he did with the Reds didn't impress me. He was a backup. I don't remember him being much of a hitting threat. But hey.........I was young.
    Menke started for the 72 team. He was past his prime with the Reds but he was a steadying defensive player at 3rd base. He wasn't a bad player at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Enzo Hernandez. He was the starting SS for the 1971 Padres and batted leadoff most of the season. He came to bat over 500 times and had 12 RBI and an OBP 0f .295.

I think Paul Householder and Brad Komminsk were really twins. They were just so much alike it was scary.

The Reds brought up a relief pitcher a few years ago IIRC was named Booker. He was just terrible. But you could that about a bunch of Reds pitchers in the 2000's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?