Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Ode to the bad player

Re: Ode to the bad player

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    That it took seven pages for Gas Can Gary to make this list is a testament to something...either there have been several crummy players or we Reds fans have wiped him from memory.
    I'm pretty sure the loudest booing I ever heard at GABP was when the Magic Man came in with, IIRC, a 2 run lead and promptly surrendered like 4 runs without recording an out (maybe he got one??)...

Wonder if anyone could find the exact game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Gary Majewski...
    He did have a couple of decent seasons with the Nats. They blew his arm out because they used him so much. I knew it when the Reds got him. Couldn't believe the Reds picked him up thinking he could really help them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    That it took seven pages for Gas Can Gary to make this list is a testament to something...either there have been several crummy players or we Reds fans have wiped him from memory.
    I thought of Majewski but like Redsmetz said I thought this thread was about players who were just bad because they were untalented and unable to perform and not due to injuries or other unfortunate circumstances. Majewski had some good years before he got hurt.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I thought of Majewski but like Redsmetz said I thought this thread was about players who were just bad because they were untalented and unable to perform and not due to injuries or other unfortunate circumstances. Majewski had some good years before he got hurt.
    I looked up Majic and he did have a good 2005 season with the Nationals. IIRC he got off to good start in 2006 but started getting hit hard and then traded to the Reds. I was afraid the Nats had burned him out in 2005 and was proven correct. Wasn't he the one that Krivsky or someone with the Reds filed a complaint with MLB for receiving damaged goods?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He did have a couple of decent seasons with the Nats. They blew his arm out because they used him so much. I knew it when the Reds got him. Couldn't believe the Reds picked him up thinking he could really help them.
    I think his arm was fine- he was throwing 96mph for the Reds, just lost the ability to locate- everything was right over the middle of the plate.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I looked up Majic and he did have a good 2005 season with the Nationals. IIRC he got off to good start in 2006 but started getting hit hard and then traded to the Reds. I was afraid the Nats had burned him out in 2005 and was proven correct. Wasn't he the one that Krivsky or someone with the Reds filed a complaint with MLB for receiving damaged goods?
    Yep. He told them the following offseason that he had received cortosone shots during the season, and the Reds didn't know about it, and weren't too happy.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Bye-bye? Only led the Royals to their only Championship. That's all.
    Led them to their title is a bit strong. Bye Bye had a nice regular season in '85 with 36 bombs, but had a .220-.303-.220-.523 line with 0 HRs and 4 RBI in the postseason. In the World Series, STL scored a total of 13 runs. I think words like pitching and luck had a little more to do with the Royals championship than their 1B.
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 12-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Led them to their title is a bit strong. Bye Bye had a nice regular season in '85 with 36 bombs, but had a .220-.303-.220-.523 line with 0 HRs and 4 RBI in the postseason. In the World Series, STL scored a total of 13 runs. I think words like pitching and luck had a little more to do with the Royals championship than their 1B.
    Pitching, bah! That's not how you win. You get a grip-and-rip moose to knock the ball to next Tuesday. That's how you win.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    ugg... don't get me started about the 85 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Pitching, bah! That's not how you win. You get a grip-and-rip moose to knock the ball to next Tuesday. That's how you win.

Cheap fabric and dim lighting. That's how you move merchandise.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Jimmy Prestley is the reason Edgar won't make the Hall
    good point.

I came in here ready to say Alex Trevino. He couldn't hit, and by the time he was a Red, he couldn't throw the ball to second base without bouncing it on the turf.

But the comments about Kevin Jarvis convinced me that he was indeed the worst pitcher in the history of baseball.
    Stick to your guns.

Took a stroll down memory lane in baseball-reference.com for the absolute suckfest of the mid-2000's of the Reds pitching staff.

The names make me want to retch. What's worse is the number of innings they were allowed to pitch.

Joey Hamilton
    Jimmy Anderson
    Seth Etherton
    Brian Reith
    Jeff Austin
    Dan Serafini
    Eric Milton
    Ramon Ortiz
    Elizardo Ramirez
    David Williams
    Gary Majewski
    Joe Mays