Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is votto a shoe-in hall of fame candidate?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes...assuming that he plays like this 10 years from now still.

21 72.41%
  • No..nothing stat wise jumps out. He's a good player, but not a hall of fame worthy player.

9 31.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Joey Votto a shoe-in hall of fame candidate?

Re: Is Joey Votto a shoe-in hall of fame candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Joey Votto is a far, far better player than Adam Dunn was at his best. Not even close.
    Yet some here would argue Adam Dunn is a better HOF candidate b/c he has better counting stats in HRs and walks for his career.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    And sabremetrics are just a much better gauge for judging a players value.

I honestly cant believe we have two threads discussing the HOF candidacy of Votto and Dunn. If they both retired right now Id take Votto over Dunn all day everyday simply b/c hes a great player and Dunn never was. Votto has had 3 seasons w/ a higher OPS than Dunns best OPS season.

And Joey Votto is a Gold Glove first baseman. Adam Dunn wore a glove.

Salukifan2

A more accurate comparison may be between Votto and Holliday. Both entered the league when they were 24 and have very similar and excellent offensive numbers. Do people believe right now that Matt Holliday is on or very close to being on a path the HOF?

Yes if he can keep it up for close to that long,

Salukifan2

Well then i will rest my case, though i don't believe Holliday is of HOF caliber. Perhaps Pujols numbed STL fans as what it means to be great.

Yet some here would argue Adam Dunn is a better HOF candidate b/c he has better counting stats in HRs and walks for his career.
    I can only assume you are referring to me as one of "those some" and your statement is utterly ridiculous. Votto is the better player, period. Just because I say IF Adam Dunn reaches 600 HR (he's nearly 200 away), 1500 RBI (he's nearly 500 away) and 1500 BB (he's 330 away) that he should be CONSIDERED for candidacy does not mean in any way shape or form that any player who does not reach those numbers is inferior.

5 more years of this production hes a shoe in.
    he would need more that 5 more years

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    he would need more that 5 more years
    With they way voters tend to vote, if those 5 years resulted in at least 2 more MVPs (which is highly possible), those 5 could possibly suffice.

Yes. One of the best all around hitters in the game. Plus he has a great glove at 1st.

Long way to go, a lot can happen and most is bad, that is just baseball and life...

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    With they way voters tend to vote, if those 5 years resulted in at least 2 more MVPs (which is highly possible), those 5 could possibly suffice.
    I agree. In regards to HOF voting I think we should focus on what a player accomplished inb their prime. Not the last 4-5 years of their careers when they are jst hanging on to what they once were.

Most players prime seasons are maybe 8-10 years. If Vottot puts up 5 more great years he will have a great career.

I voted yes on the poll, because IF Joey keeps up the same level of production for the next 10 years, then I do think he's a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame.

However, in reality, I don't think there's any way he keeps up this level of production for another 10 years. I think in 10 year, Joey will be a Todd Helton-type player, where he can hit for average and get on base a lot, but his power won't be anywhere near where it is not.

If Todd Helton a shoo-in Hall of Famer? Probably not, but he'll get consideration. I love Joey, but I'd say chances are against him being a Hall of Famer at this point.

Turn Off Ads?