Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #3 prospect for 2013?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

    0 0%
  • Tony Cingrani

    39 53.42%
  • Daniel Corcino

    29 39.73%
  • Amir Garrett

    0 0%
  • Jeff Gelalich

    0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

    0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

    0 0%
  • Dan Langfield

    0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

    0 0%
  • Donald Lutz

    0 0%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

    0 0%
  • Tanner Rahier

    0 0%
  • Henry Rodriguez

    0 0%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

    0 0%
  • Chad Rogers

    0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

    0 0%
  • Nick Travieso

    1 1.37%
  • David Vidal

    0 0%
  • Jesse Winker

    4 5.48%
  • Ryan Wright

    0 0%
  • Other (Please name)

    0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

  1. #1
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson


    Here is where it might start to get interesting. Pick away. I am going with Johnny Junior (Daniel Corcino) and hoping that lightning strikes twice.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-16-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Cingrani.

    Considered both Corcino and Cingrani, then looked at production across same levels, age, handedness, size, scouting reports, and experience. Cingrani's got a decided edge in three of those areas. Two are pushes, and one goes to Corcino.

    Cingrani has a real chance to help the bullpen this year as a shut-down LH, though that may waste his arm somewhat. Right now, he's a LH JJ Hoover with upside.

    Corcino's climbing BB rate and his dropping K rate concerns me. I still see him as nice AAA depth this season, with an outside chance at replacing Arroyo next season as fifth starter.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  4. #3
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,772

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Cingrani. Lower chance of being a complete bust. A late inning reliever almost certainly with a chance of being a solid or better starter.

    Its close though. Couldn't argue with Corcino here.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  5. #4
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    893

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Originally had Corcino ranked above Cingrani in my last Top 10, finally decided to flip the two after seeing a little more of Tony.
    Choo got it, dude.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,238

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Cingrani.

    Considered both Corcino and Cingrani, then looked at production across same levels, age, handedness, size, scouting reports, and experience. Cingrani's got a decided edge in three of those areas. Two are pushes, and one goes to Corcino.
    Corcino has a decided edge in pro experience and experience as a starter. Corcino has 58 starts in full-season pro ball before his 22nd birthday. At the same age, Cingrani was still getting his feet wet in rookie ball and making the transition from college closer to pro starter.

    Corcino also has an advantage in age relative to level. He has been young for every league he has pitched in. Cingrani hadn't been considered young for any league he was in prior to his mid-season promotion to the Southern League in 2012.

    I'd also give Corcino an edge in scouting reports. Better velocity, better breaking stuff, and more confident in using his secondary offerings. The only downside I see is his tiny frame. I don't see handedness being an edge one way or the other. 70% of the pitchers in MLB get by just fine throwing with their right hand. Sure, being a lefty might help a fringe guy hang around on a big league roster, but the hope for both of these guys is that they are WAY better than fringe players.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Cingrani, easy
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    ... Corcino also has an advantage in age relative to level. He has been young for every league he has pitched in. Cingrani hadn't been considered young for any league he was in prior to his mid-season promotion to the Southern League in 2012.
    And, by the end of that year, Cingrani was in the majors, while Corcino was still in AA. Cingrani, at the same level, at roughly the same age, did much, much better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I'd also give Corcino an edge in scouting reports. Better velocity, better breaking stuff, and more confident in using his secondary offerings.
    We apparently talk to/ read different scouts. Swing and miss percentages also seem to show a major difference here; that helps determine stuff, as it's not always about how hard someone can throw, but with what movement/ deception they throw it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    The only downside I see is his tiny frame.
    Corcino is a max-effort guy. That often leads to arm woes and, IMO, is a major danger sign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I don't see handedness being an edge one way or the other. 70% of the pitchers in MLB get by just fine throwing with their right hand. Sure, being a lefty might help a fringe guy hang around on a big league roster, but the hope for both of these guys is that they are WAY better than fringe players.
    Being a lefty means your natural stuff plays up. A lefty with a 92 mph fastball is tougher to hit than a RH with a 92 mph fastball because the arm angle and pitch rotation is less common. It's a fairly big deal, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,238

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Scrap,

    those are all valid points, but I still see Cingrani as Sean Marshall-lite, while Corcino is Johnny Cueto-lite. If I had to choose between them, I'd choose the Cueto clone.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Fair enough.

    Different strokes, and all that.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  11. #10
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,297

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Corcino. Much safer bet to be a Major League starting pitcher.

  12. #11
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,518

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Absolutely Cingrani

  13. #12
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,772

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Corcino. Much safer bet to be a Major League starting pitcher.
    I'd counter that Cingrani looks to be a safer bet to be an effective pitcher. It may be from the pen, but "meh" starters are easier to find than effective bullpen lefties (I'd rather have Jeremy Affeldt than say Jason Marquis). Add the possibility that Cingrani could easily be just as effective in the rotation as Corcino and that tips the scales IMO.

    It's close though. This post probably makes it seem that I feel more strongly than I actually do.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  14. #13
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,297

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd counter that Cingrani looks to be a safer bet to be an effective pitcher. It may be from the pen, but "meh" starters are easier to find than effective bullpen lefties (I'd rather have Jeremy Affeldt than say Jason Marquis). Add the possibility that Cingrani could easily be just as effective in the rotation as Corcino and that tips the scales IMO.

    It's close though. This post probably makes it seem that I feel more strongly than I actually do.
    I don't know. Put Corcino in the bullpen and he probably has a mid 90's fastball and a really nice slider.

    Put Cingrani in the bullpen and he is still a guy who wants to throw 80% fastballs who doesn't trust his change up.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Put Cingrani in the bullpen and he is still a guy who wants to throw 80% fastballs who doesn't trust his change up.
    Well, that and two less hits than IP, a K rate of 16.2, and an ERA of 1.80. (SSS, I realize.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,772

    Re: Who is Redszone's #3 prospect? 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know. Put Corcino in the bullpen and he probably has a mid 90's fastball and a really nice slider.

    Put Cingrani in the bullpen and he is still a guy who wants to throw 80% fastballs who doesn't trust his change up.
    But Cingrani's command makes it highly likely that the fastball will be an effective pitch if its limited to three or four hitters per game. I don't have that same "surprised if he's not at least useful" feeling about Corcino...

    Corcino could be better, but I think Cingrani is a lot safer.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25