Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Would it Take To Get You to Trade Votto?

Re: What Would it Take To Get You to Trade Votto?

I don't like this topic!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder what your mothers are thinking of you guys.
    May the Lord bless

Jim Coombs.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Anyone want to take a guess as to how much Trout/Harper will make over the duration of Votto's contract?
    Here's Jeff Passon's thoughts:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/can-ang...173054011.html

He's probably correctly identified the "sweetspot" at 10 yrs/$150M.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-20-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's Jeff Passon's thoughts:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/can-ang...173054011.html

He's probably correctly identified the "sweetspot" at 10 yrs/$150M.
    Thanks, a good read.

However, with the huge bump in TV money, that has Mike Napoli getting a $39M, three year deal, there is no way Trout signs anything that is based on previous contracts.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mike Trout.
    Bryce Harper.
    Evan Longoria.
    The first two, sure. Longoria? I love him as a player, but he's close in age to Votto, so I really don't see a huge advantage there.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Thanks, a good read.

However, with the huge bump in TV money, that has Mike Napoli getting a $39M, three year deal, there is no way Trout signs anything that is based on previous contracts.
    One thing to consider though is that the Angels have considerable leverage given Trout is under control for another half decade. Regardelss of tv money, Trout would almost assuredly sacrifice two birds in the bush for a plump roasted duck right now.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Profir and Texas' top 3 pitching prospects. Texas is one team that could pay Joey. Reds could extend Choo put Ludwick at first Hamilton in CF. Pitching should be covered as it would mean several future replacements. Cozart moves to backup and could be dealt for a piece at mid season. The Reds could sign a stop gap for CF entering season. I would NOT trade Joey just because as others stated he means more than just stats to the Reds. But there are scenarios where he could be dealt that would still make the Reds decided favorites - maybe even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Jim Coombs.
    The reds would have to include Bruce, Cueto, and a stripper to be named later to get him.

What it would take:

Votto's power not coming back and continued deterioration of his knees and someone willing to take on the salary.

If Votto remains pre-injury Votto he should remain a Red.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    The first two, sure. Longoria? I love him as a player, but he's close in age to Votto, so I really don't see a huge advantage there.
    Votto is clearly the better hitter and probably a bit of a better player, but Longoria has such a friendly contract that it almost makes me question his agent. I would trade a small step down in value for a huge savings in cash. Longoria is getting $143M over the next 11 years. Votto is getting $230M over those 11 years, plus another 25 in year 12. The differences are massive. I think I could probably do better with Longoria and that extra nearly $10M a year than just Joey Votto, especially if you used that money today to lock someone up long term (be it Jay Bruce or Mat Latos to a shorter kind of deal of say 4-5 years of free agency). It is a risk, because Votto is better than Longoria, but I think it is a good risk to take.

I think this thread belongs in the non-baseball "Fantasy Island."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Votto is clearly the better hitter and probably a bit of a better player, but Longoria has such a friendly contract that it almost makes me question his agent. I would trade a small step down in value for a huge savings in cash. Longoria is getting $143M over the next 11 years. Votto is getting $230M over those 11 years, plus another 25 in year 12. The differences are massive. I think I could probably do better with Longoria and that extra nearly $10M a year than just Joey Votto, especially if you used that money today to lock someone up long term (be it Jay Bruce or Mat Latos to a shorter kind of deal of say 4-5 years of free agency). It is a risk, because Votto is better than Longoria, but I think it is a good risk to take.
    It's an interesting hypothetical.

First would you trade Votto at first for an equal offensive version that could play third as a slightly plus defender (i.e. he's a +5 UZR/150 firstbaseman so assume a +5 UZR/150 thirdbaseman)? I think you would without pausing to let the offering GM reconsider.

Second would you trade Votto for a thirdbaseman that has a less impactful bat (Votto's bat would be estimated to be 2 WAR/600 PAs better based upon comparing Votto and Longoria's career wOBAs) but significantly more valuable glove (UZR/150 and accounting for position suggests Longoria is 2 WAR/150g more valuable defensively) plus $100M? I think this isn't as clear cut as first impressions may suggest. It's safest to trust the offensive estimates of player worth but even if the defensive estimates are off by 30% (though both have over 5000 defensive innings at their positions suggesting UZR has enough data) the $100M mitigates alot of risk and buys alot of additional WAR.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I hate the offseason. *sigh*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I hate the offseason. *sigh*
    Don't fret. None of this will ever happen.

Turn Off Ads?