Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #5 prospect for 2013?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tucker Barnhart

0 0%
  • Amir Garrett

0 0%
  • Jeff Gelalich

0 0%
  • Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • Ryan LaMarre

0 0%
  • Dan Langfield

1 1.43%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

0 0%
  • Donald Lutz

2 2.86%
  • Seth Mejias-Brean

0 0%
  • Tanner Rahier

0 0%
  • Henry Rodriguez

6 8.57%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

1 1.43%
  • Chad Rogers

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • Neftali Soto

1 1.43%
  • Nick Travieso

20 28.57%
  • David Vidal

0 0%
  • Kyle Waldrop

1 1.43%
  • Jesse Winker

38 54.29%
  • Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • Other (Please name)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect? 2013

Who is Redszone's #5 prospect? 2013

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino

Since this got started a little later than normal, it is probably best to move things along if the voting gets out of hand on any particular poll.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect? 2013

Well this one will require a little bit of thinking before I vote.

Its between Soto, Winker and Lutz for me. I just don't remember enough about Winker from last year off the top of my head though he certainly has been talked up quite a bit the past couple of weeks.
    Last edited by klw; 12-20-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Henry Rodriguez for me. Please and thank you. I think he will be a solid bat for a long time. This is a bird-in-the-hand vote.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Henry Rodriguez for me. Please and thank you. I think he will be a solid bat for a long time. This is a bird-in-the-hand vote.
    I'm with you.

While most people have him pegged as a career utilityman, I think he has enough bat to make up for middling defensive skills and could wind up starting eventually. He might have the best hit tool in the Reds system, is a plus base runner, and even has a little bit of pop in his bat. IMO, he will be the perfect #2 hitter to put behind Billy Hamilton and in front of Joey Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Its between Soto, Winker and Lutz for me.
    Lutz doesn't do anything for me. He's got poor plate discipline, is old for his league, and has contact issues. Sure, his power is nice, but aside from that, I don't see anything from him that makes me believe he can be a starting MLB 1B/LF.

Soto is basically the right-handed version of Lutz (same age, same power, same contact/plate discipline problems), but is farther along in his development (228 games in AA/AAA versus 40 for Lutz). The only major difference between them is that Soto started out at a premium defensive position and worked his way down to 1B, while no one ever had any illusions about Lutz playing anywhere other than 1B/LF.

Winker is a stud, but he has yet to play in a full-season league. I'll take the 22 year old with a cup of coffee in the majors over the 18 year old in rookie ball.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 12-20-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Lutz doesn't do anything for me. He's got poor plate discipline, is old for his league, and has contact issues. Sure, his power is nice, but aside from that, I don't see anything from him that makes me believe he can be a starting MLB 1B/LF.

Soto is basically the right-handed version of Lutz (same age, same power, same contact/plate discipline problems), but is farther along in his development (228 games in AA/AAA versus 40 for Lutz). The only major difference between them is that Soto started out at a premium defensive position and worked his way down to 1B, while no one ever had any illusions about Lutz playing anywhere other than 1B/LF.
    Of course he's old for his league. He grew up in Germany and didn't even start playing the game until around the time other players were getting scouted and drafted. That's not to gloss over his issues. He obviously needs a lot of improvement in plate discipline and defense. But at the same time, he's a terrific athlete who has performed remarkably well for his level of experience. I'm not saying that his talent makes him a premium prospect; but I do believe it makes him a guy who shouldn't be so casually dismissed on the basis of some minor-league trouble spots.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Of course he's old for his league. He grew up in Germany and didn't even start playing the game until around the time other players were getting scouted and drafted. That's not to gloss over his issues. He obviously needs a lot of improvement in plate discipline and defense. But at the same time, he's a terrific athlete who has performed remarkably well for his level of experience. I'm not saying that his talent makes him a premium prospect; but I do believe it makes him a guy who shouldn't be so casually dismissed on the basis of some minor-league trouble spots.
    Perhaps I came on a little strong.

It's not that he does nothing for me at all. It's that he does nothing for me at this spot in the rankings. He just has way too many warts for me to even consider him at the #5 spot.

Winker, then Travieso, then, for me, it's gets real unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Perhaps I came on a little strong.

It's not that he does nothing for me at all. It's that he does nothing for me at this spot in the rankings. He just has way too many warts for me to even consider him at the #5 spot.
    Sounds reasonable.

I'm not ready to vote Lutz this high, either; but for me he's not too far off. His power and learning curve make him one of the more compelling guys in the system, in my view. Certainly one of the more intriguing hitters.

Travieso for me. I appreciate the season Winker had, but l have to defer to our first round pick for the stuff he brings to the table.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Travieso for me. I appreciate the season Winker had, but l have to defer to our first round pick for the stuff he brings to the table.
    I am with this. The Reds took Travieso well before Winker for a reason. I really don't think that two and a half months of both guys being healthy has changed that at all.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Until I actually see the stuff, Winker gets the nod over Travieso for now.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Until I actually see the stuff, Winker gets the nod over Travieso for now.
    Go watch his draft videos.

Doug- What are your thoughts on Yorman these days?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Doug- What are your thoughts on Yorman these days?
    Project, but one with better tools than anyone in the system.

Turn Off Ads?