Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds pursuing reliever Mike Gonzalez

Re: Reds pursuing reliever Mike Gonzalez

A couple of nice bullpen moves for the Brewers. They might be looking at a slightly less distant third place now.

Seems like there's something the Brewers would need in order to make a bullpen relevant, but I can't put my finger on it.

Oh wait, I remember! Starting pitching!
    Last edited by marcshoe; 12-28-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Brewers 5 year window turned out to be a 2 year window although they did play nicely the last month and a half last year. I agree that they need starting pitching to compete with the Reds and Cards. They will battle the Pirates all year for 3rd place. Something around a .500 record or a little worse sounds about right. I was really hoping for Gonzales. It had to be about the money because if winnning was a top priority then he would have picked the Reds or Nats.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    The Brewers 5 year window turned out to be a 2 year window although they did play nicely the last month and a half last year. I agree that they need starting pitching to compete with the Reds and Cards. They will battle the Pirates all year for 3rd place. Something around a .500 record or a little worse sounds about right. I was really hoping for Gonzales. It had to be about the money because if winnning was a top priority then he would have picked the Reds or Nats.
    Maybe he just likes beer and cheese.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Reds balked, Gonzalez to sign with Brewers.
    This may be the non-move that kills the Reds world series chances.

Nats are now pursuing JP Howell, wonder if Walt is in on him as well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Nats are now pursuing JP Howell, wonder if Walt is in on him as well.
    I would hope so--we're running out of lefties to be "in on"...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Red Sox might be looking to trade one, not sure any of them are all that appealing, but they appear to only have room for 2 of Franklin Morales, Craig Breslow, and Andrew Miller.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

It's reported Gonzalez got $2.25 million plus incentives from the Brewers. I can understand if Walt didn't want to go that high.

He'll get someone.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The Red Sox might be looking to trade one, not sure any of them are all that appealing, but they appear to only have room for 2 of Franklin Morales, Craig Breslow, and Andrew Miller.
    Not really liking any of those. Looking at the available names, I think if Howell is out of the Red's price range, then I'd just go with Cingrani. I know he may have a future as a starter, but he's probably one of the best 12 now and only behind Marshall as a lefty for the pen. I'd use him to try to put the best team out there in 2013.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Of the three, Breslow would probably be my pick.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The Reds don't NEED to add a second lefty in the pen. We already have one of the best LH relievers in the game in Marshall. Getting worked up about who will play the LOOGY role from April to July seems a bit silly. If it becomes a problem, Walt will make a move to address it at the trading deadline. Heck, they've already got a monster lefty down at AAA (Cingrani) who could be shoehorned into the bullpen down the stretch if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    The Reds don't NEED to add a second lefty in the pen. We already have one of the best LH relievers in the game in Marshall. Getting worked up about who will play the LOOGY role from April to July seems a bit silly. If it becomes a problem, Walt will make a move to address it at the trading deadline. Heck, they've already got a monster lefty down at AAA (Cingrani) who could be shoehorned into the bullpen down the stretch if need be.
    I don't see anyone getting "worked up."

But having six righties and one lefty in the bullpen doesn't make sense to me. They may get through with Arredondo facing lefties, but I'd prefer a second lefty reliever.

Last year many posters said we shouldn't get "worked up" because the Reds were the only team in baseball with only two lefty hitters among position players. But the stats against RHP were poor and clearly there was a need for more lefty hitters.

Same with pitching. There is, of course, a chance that Chapman will be in the bullpen early in the season. That would suffice IMO and then they could add another lefty when Chappy begins pitching in the rotation.

Lefty/righty balance is important whether it be hitting or pitching and I think Walt knows this and will address it one way or the other.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Back in the day we only had the one lefty outta the pen. I tell ya, you kids got it good with all these hi falootin spec'lists an' what not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Back in the day we only had the one lefty outta the pen. I tell ya, you kids got it good with all these hi falootin spec'lists an' what not.
    Yeah, and he also worked as the team bus driver and groundskeeper!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't see anyone getting "worked up."

But having six righties and one lefty in the bullpen doesn't make sense to me. They may get through with Arredondo facing lefties, but I'd prefer a second lefty reliever.

Last year many posters said we shouldn't get "worked up" because the Reds were the only team in baseball with only two lefty hitters among position players. But the stats against RHP were poor and clearly there was a need for more lefty hitters.

Same with pitching. There is, of course, a chance that Chapman will be in the bullpen early in the season. That would suffice IMO and then they could add another lefty when Chappy begins pitching in the rotation.

Lefty/righty balance is important whether it be hitting or pitching and I think Walt knows this and will address it one way or the other.
    I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to add another lefty to the bullpen mix. I'm just saying it's not a huge need. They already have one of the best lefty relievers in the game (Marshall) and a couple of other very talented southpaws who may (or may not) play big roles in the 2013 bullpen (Chapman, Cingrani). The Reds have quality in-house solutions if the free agent market doesn't work out for them.

Turn Off Ads?