Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirates sign Liriano

Re: Pirates sign Liriano

The main issue I have with this signing (not that I truly care, 'cause I don't) is that the reward is going to have to be awfully high to match the price.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

2. Turn Off Ads?

He's pitched one full season over the course of his career. Has had one good year over the past four. Totally not scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    As someone said earlier, a lot of people were wondering why the Pirates wanted anything to do with AJ Burnett. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a guy needs -- especially a starting pitcher going from the AL to the NL. Not saying this was a good move for the Bucs, but I don't think it was a terrible one. They definitely needed another starting pitcher. They have a pretty decent rotation now from 1-5.
    I don't really see the Burnett comparison. Outside of 2010 and 2011, Burnett was always a good (albeit overpaid) pitcher. Liriano has nowhere near the track record of Burnett. Change of scenery can help, but it can only do so much.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Oops. Looks like Liriano might not be a Pirate after all.

Liriano's agreed-to contract with the Pirates is in jeopardy after the pitcher injured his right arm sometime around Christmas, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...s-injuring-arm
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I realize I'm probably incurring horrible karma here, but I can't stop laughing at this.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...ticle_41106944
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I realize I'm probably incurring horrible karma here, but I can't stop laughing at this.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Carl Pavano will be sidelined 6-8 weeks after suffering a ruptured spleen when he slipped and fell while shoveling snow on his driveway.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Someone help me out here, should I be impressed that he shovels his own driveway?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Someone help me out here, should I be impressed that he shovels his own driveway?
    Former "1 year waste for the REDS", John Van Der Wal might say, "HELL YES!"

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Reds fans blame you for the karma.

Just bumping this to show that this signing was something that was clearly going to play out for the Pirates. They took a risk and it has worked out great for them so far.
    Last edited by klw; 10-02-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Well, I guess I was right, he was "not a horrible signing for the BOR"
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?