Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article about Bryan Price

Re: Article about Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Is evil genius greater than genius?
    It's twice as genius on the genius scale.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

There's no reason the Reds should live in fear of losing Bryan Price, when there is an easy way to keep him around. Keep him from leaving for greener pastures by making his current pasture as green as possible.

Give him a big raise and the additional title of bench coach or assistant manager. Designate Price to run the team whenever there is an occasion that Dusty is unable to run it. The latter is a move that sidelines Chris Speier, but who would you rather keep?
    /r/reds

Something that I like about RZ is that it provides a way to ask questions and learn. My question(s) is this. To what extent is a major league pitching coach able to influence the development of minor league pitchers? Is he able to spend time with selected prospects in the spring? Does he work with minor league pitching coaches? Does he influence the draft by finding below the radar pitchers with potential that good coaching can shape?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He doesn't do anything with the draft. In some organizations, he will help set the generalized plan for the pitchers. You obviously want all of your teams trying to teach the same things. He will spend time in spring training with the guys who are in camp.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He doesn't do anything with the draft. In some organizations, he will help set the generalized plan for the pitchers. You obviously want all of your teams trying to teach the same things. He will spend time in spring training with the guys who are in camp.
    You don't think that he had any input whatsoever in drafting Stephenson?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    You don't think that he had any input whatsoever in drafting Stephenson?
    Incredibly doubtful. Generally speaking, even the GM leaves it up to his guys to make the call.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I sure as heck hope there are back-channel discussions going on between the Reds and Price about taking over as manager in 2015. Dusty has two years left on the contract he just signed and I bet he'll retire after that. Not sure if we'll be able to hold on to Price through next offseason unless he's promised he's the manager-in-waiting.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

FWIW, it seems Price is working out Brandon Webb according to the sun deck.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99676

Incredibly doubtful. Generally speaking, even the GM leaves it up to his guys to make the call.
    I would find it hard to believe that the Reds wouldn't have their pitching guru look at tape of their top 5-6 choices and get his opinion. With the amount of money on the table with these guys, not doing something like that would be downright dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I would find it hard to believe that the Reds wouldn't have their pitching guru look at tape of their top 5-6 choices and get his opinion. With the amount of money on the table with these guys, not doing something like that would be downright dumb.
    You don't think that the guys running the draft have any clue about pitching mechanics? Bryan Price may be a better teacher than they are, but I don't think he knows some secret that the scouts don't.

You don't think that the guys running the draft have any clue about pitching mechanics? Bryan Price may be a better teacher than they are, but I don't think he knows some secret that the scouts don't.
    Plus how long would it be until Price would even get a chance to work with a draft pick? Quite a while.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Not that the two are related, but in my business (software), we have a project team that does all the investigation and legwork and takes a real hard close look at the issue and then comes up with a proposed design.

Then we review that with all the involved parties to make sure they are all OK with what we're doing and make sure there isn't anything we missed. The philosophy is "the more eyes we have look at it, the less the chance is we're going to miss something". Lord knows its easy to miss stuff.

I'd think Price isn't in on any of the scouting and evaluation and proposed drafting, but I'd hope he at least gets to hear what the scouts are thinking and gives his input. Professional courtesy and all that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?