Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox about to aquire Hanrahan?

Re: Red Sox about to aquire Hanrahan?

I remember that now. I'm just trying to figure out why they would include Holt without getting any more value than they did.

I have a soft spot for the Pirates because I grew up watching their AAA team in the seventies, and I've never been a fan of Neal Huntington, even when others have. I just don't get this.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Doesn't seem like a real success for either team, other than Boston landing their closer who seems likely to implode.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, I don't get this at all for the Pirates. They're obviously not sold on Hanrahan as a $7-million closer -- despite his excellent overall numbers the last two seasons. I can see that. I also think that Hanrahan is not as good as he performed these last two years. That said, you have to get more than this in exchange for him.

The Pirates spend "big money" for their standards on veteran guys like Russell Martin and Francisco Liriano -- apparently to make a run at the NL Central title -- and then go out and trade their closer for pennies on the dollar? Their front office is run like a constant fire drill. I don't think they have any clue what they're doing.

Who is going to be their closer? Hughes? I doubt he does well in that role. And even if he does, you lose a good set-up man by making him your closer (unless Melancon can perform well). Whether they thought he was overrated or not, Hanrahan for $7 million was actually a pretty good bargain in this day and age and the Pirates probably just blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    The Pirates spend "big money" for their standards on veteran guys like Russell Martin and Francisco Liriano -- apparently to make a run at the NL Central title -- and then go out and trade their closer for pennies on the dollar? Their front office is run like a constant fire drill. I don't think they have any clue what they're doing.
    That's what I don't get. They're coming off their first semi-relevant season since who knows when and they seemed to hint at what can only be decribed as the Pirate version of "going for it" by signing Liriano and Martin. Trading their closer is counterproductive to that purpose and it doesn't sound like the Sox made an offer they couldn't refuse or anything like that. I guess these are the kinds of muddled conclusions you reach when you're attempting to understand the logic of a team that hasn't had a winning record since prohibition.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Melancon was better than Hanrahan this year (his imlosion last year was limited to 40 innings and generally had peripherals consistent with the standard that had the Sox giving up Lowrie for him last off season), and Hanrahan went the way of Derrick Turnbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Melancon was better than Hanrahan this year (his imlosion last year was limited to 40 innings and generally had peripherals consistent with the standard that had the Sox giving up Lowrie for him last off season), and Hanrahan went the way of Derrick Turnbow.
    So you think Melancon will definitely be their closer?

I like Brock Holt's bat as a middle infielder, especially at Fenway.

He'll play quite a bit behind Drew and Pedroia. I expect him to hit well and play at least 100 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    So you think Melancon will definitely be their closer?
    Not at all. Grilli will be there closer.

The semantics of the position has little to do with evaluating each player IMO.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree. I was really impressed with him during his Houston tenure. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he turned out to be a steal here.

And yeah, I think Grilli will be the closer, but Melancon still very impressive.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 12-27-2012 at 10:00 AM.

I'm not following the high regards for Melancon. Right now, he's a one year wonder. I also don't see the connection between Bobby Valentine and a pitcher pitching bad. He gave up 8 homers in 45 innings. So Valentine influenced him to throw meatballs?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Not at all. Grilli will be there closer.

The semantics of the position has little to do with evaluating each player IMO.
    I gotcha. I was just confused when you said you wouldn't be surprised if Melancon was better in 2013 than Hanrahan was in 2012. You weren't talking about specific numbers (i.e. number of saves) just that Melancon would pitch well. I see. Not sure I agree, but I see where you're coming from.

Grilli sure accepted a "small" contract if he's going to be their closer. I'm sure when he signed his 2-year extension after the 2012 season he was under the impression he'd be a set-up man for at least another year. Interesting for sure.

BTW: Grilli's contract will pay him "just" $6.75 million over the next two seasons. Also, this is a hilarious write-up from Deadspin where Grilli basically admits the Pirates suck: http://deadspin.com/5968259/report-j...e-pirates-suck
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 12-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.

The Pirates have a history of giving away talented veterans because of money concerns. The best example was the trade of Aramis Ramirez to the Cubs. There you had a Cubs team that had struggled to find a decent 3B since Ron Santo retired and the Pirates step up and solve their problem without so much as asking for a top notch prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Pirates have a history of giving away talented veterans because of money concerns. The best example was the trade of Aramis Ramirez to the Cubs. There you had a Cubs team that had struggled to find a decent 3B since Ron Santo retired and the Pirates step up and solve their problem without so much as asking for a top notch prospect
    I just thought things were different now, especially after the signings of Martin and Liriano. It's clear they weren't sold on Hanrahan at that price. Maybe they'll end up being right, but they just come across as the same 'ol cheap Pirates. Oh well, that's good news for us.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not following the high regards for Melancon. Right now, he's a one year wonder. I also don't see the connection between Bobby Valentine and a pitcher pitching bad. He gave up 8 homers in 45 innings. So Valentine influenced him to throw meatballs?
    Valentine created an unstable work environment, not optimal for success. I'm not that high on Melancon either, but PNC's not a home run park either. I'd expect a little more success. Still, this is a typical Huntington deal. He's playing a shell game.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You're not wrong. He could very well be a one year wonder. Thing is, that one year is the only time I've gotten to really see him at all. I was impressed is all. If he comes back to close to what he was in Houston...he'll be a steal. That's all *I* was saying.

Turn Off Ads?