Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/28

Birthdays: 12/28

Reds:

B.J. Ryan (36) -Despite the initials, his given name is Robert Victor. Came up with the Reds, then was traded along with Jacobo Sequea to acquire Juan Guzman. I wonder what ever happened to Jacobo Sequea; there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth among Reds faithful when he was traded.

Mel Nieves (40) -Seems like forever since Mel's been around, but he's been active as recently as 2008 in a variety of independent and overseas leagues.

Carl Willis (50) -Currently the Mariners pitching coach.

Ray Knight (58) -The only Red to hit two home runs in one inning. The Reds traded him to Houston for Cesar Cedeno to make room at third base for Johnny Bench. So that worked out well...

Others:

Aurelio Rodriguez (64) -Good-field-no-hit 3B for the Tigers; he was somehow allowed to come to the plate 7000 times in the majors with a career OBP of .275. Also to be noted: his first name contains all five vowels.

Bill Lee (65) -The Spaceman. In September of 2010 he became the oldest man to pitch in and win a professional game when he threw 5 2/3 innings for an independent team in Brockton.

Tommy Bridges -Small, freckle-faced righty who won 194 games for the Tigers. Went away to World War Two, and didn't have much left when he came back. His later life was not happy.

Ted Lyons -Known as "Sunday Ted" because in his later career he'd pitch only on Sundays, needing the extra rest for his aging arm. In the Hall of Fame despite a career 3.67 ERA. Once pitched a no-hitter that took 67 minutes to complete; Marty Brenneman would have loved it.

Other name of note: Count Sensenderfer
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 12/28

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

[Aurelio Rodriguez (64) -Good-field-no-hit 3B for the Tigers; he was somehow allowed to come to the plate 7000 times in the majors with a career OBP of .275. Also to be noted: his first name contains all five vowels.
    Rodriguez passed in December of 2000
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Reds:

B.J. Ryan (36) -Despite the initials, his given name is Robert Victor.
    Shades of J.D. Drew, whose given name is David Jonathan.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Ray Knight (58) -The only Red to hit two home runs in one inning.
    Yep, Knight was the first Red to do it...that was in 1980. But then Aaron Boone came along and also did it...that was in 2002.

Turn Off Ads?