Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Walt do no wrong?

Can Walt do no wrong?

There have been both unanimously good moves as well as several controversial ones, but one thing is clear - Walt Jocketty seems to be invincible as Reds GM:

Many complained (myself included) about the Scott Rolen trade, as the Reds weren't contending and Zach Stewart was a prized prospect.

One year later, Rolen led the Reds to the division crown twice in three years and Stewart fizzled out into a journeyman.

Many complained (myself included) that Walt was "asleep" and unable to accurately read the market and acquire the ace pitcher the Reds so desperately needed last offseason.

Walt gave up spare parts for Mat Latos, one of the best young arms in the game. Walt went out and signed Ryan Ludwick to play LF and outperform Yonder Alonso offensively.

Many complained (myself included) when Walt "overpayed" for Sean Marshall by dealing Wood, Sappelt and Torreyes.

Marshall played an instrumental role in the Reds league-best bullpen while Wood appears to be a #5 starter at best, and it remains doubtful that Sappelt or Torreyes will ever stick in the majors.

Many complained (myself included) when Walt failed to trade for Andrew Bailey.

Walt instead signed Ryan Madson and traded for Jonathan Broxton to help the backend of the bullpen. Meanwhile Andrew Bailey pitched to a 7+ ERA after missing the first half of the season with an injury, and the Red Sox are back in the market for a closer, reportedly close to trading significant pieces for Joel Hannrahan.

Many complained when Walt traded Sulbaran and Joseph for Jonathan Broxton, arguing that Broxton was all smoke and mirrors.

Broxton was a key member of the Reds strong bullpen down the stretch and into the postseason. Sulbaran and Joseph do not appear to be impact major leaguers, at least at this point.

My question is this - can Walt do no wrong? Does he deserve anything less than a A++ for his performance the last 3+ years? These transactions don't even mention the Chapman signing, the Choo trade, and the extensions of Votto, Bruce, Phillips and Cueto- all of which were universally praised by almost everyone. Even the drafts under his watch have been highly successful, producing the first player in a decade to make his major league debut without playing in the minors (Leake), one of the most intriguing prospects of all time (Hamilton), two of the top 15 pitching prospects in the game (Stephenson and Cingrani), and several trade bait prospects to acquire Mat Latos and Scott Rolen (Alonso, Stewart, Roenicke, Boxberger, and Grandal). Is there another GM in the game who is currently in as good favor with their fanbase as Walt?

Andrew Friedman maybe. Jon Daniels possibly. You could make the case that Walt has done as good of a job as either of these guys. Certainly he has made fewer mistakes.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-22-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Walt do no wrong?

It's all about performance. All it takes is the team getting off to a poor start, or a couple key injuries, and suddenly everything will be Walt's fault because he should have read his tea leaves and consulted a fortune teller so that he would know who the weakest link would be.

Don't worry. As soon as it becomes apparent the team won't go 162-0, and win every game by a score of 10-0, he will be the goat again.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    It's all about performance. All it takes is the team getting off to a poor start, or a couple key injuries, and suddenly everything will be Walt's fault because he should have read his tea leaves and consulted a fortune teller so that he would know who the weakest link would be.

Don't worry. As soon as it becomes apparent the team won't go 162-0, and win every game by a score of 10-0, he will be the goat again.
    That's one of the reasons for a post like this - to poll the board. Is there any glaring thing Walt should've done this offseason? Is anyone unhappy with his performance? I wanted Justin Upton but I am very pleased with the Choo deal. There really isn't much else for him to do at this point, other than maybe acquire a LOOGY for the 'pen. It's almost like a "Speak up now or hold your peace until the trade deadline" type of thing.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Of course he can do wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course he can do wrong.
    He just chooses not to.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Walt Jocketty was a special adviser and a 6 weeks from being named GM when the Reds brought on Corey Patterson. Walt was the GM when the Reds brought on Willy Taveras.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Walt Jocketty was a special adviser and a 6 weeks from being named GM when the Reds brought on Corey Patterson. Walt was the GM when the Reds brought on Willy Taveras.
    Pobody's nerfect.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I also think he benefited from Wayne Krivsky who had some excellent drafts while he was here and stocked the farm pretty well, but saying that He has been the man here and I hope he never leaves...

Forget the "Walt can do no wrong" remark Doug. I'm interested how you would evaluate his tenure here on an overall basis. You loved the Latos deal, hated the Rolen deal...just looking for your general view of things.

Walt's a pro. Can he make a move or two that may not work out? Sure, everyone can and will. But GMs should be graded on the entire picture. And, from that angle, he has done a ton of right.

He certainly has shown the ability to make significant, game changing transactions and has really been spotless in his choice of guys going the other way. He is trading for impact major league talent with prospects.

Left out of this analysis are pickups like Hoover and Simon, which were sweet moves that cost no talent, but brought talent into the organization.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

It's way too early in his minor league career to say Torreyes won't stick in the majors.

He's done as good as any fan could ever hope for. Could he do better? Sure, but GM's aren't judged on going undefeated. Risks and rewards, and he's got a track record w/ the Reds that most teams would be thrilled to have.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Not perfect, but I have to say that us, as Reds fans, sure should count our blessings to have a guy as good at his job as he is. Considering the lineage that he followed, he's been nothing short of a godsend for this team and us fans.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Walt is the Chuck Norris of baseball

Turn Off Ads?